How do you cook a pizza?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Which do you use?

Pizza Stone
53%
Pan with holes
32%
Pan with no holes
16%
Nutt'n Honey
No votes

Total votes: 19

slootman
Übergod

Re: How do you cook a pizza?

Post by slootman »

A36 is what the internet recommended. I believe there are other names for it. I found a local metal shop who cut it in 15min for under $40.

You'll need to soak it in vinegar to get the coating off - then season with oil. It's not tough, just takes time.

Heads up it will be heavy, especially with thicker metal. Thicker is considered better because it will retain more heat.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

A36 is food safe but as slootman said, soak in vinegar to remove coating then season prior to using the first time.

Will tests two different methods of baking pizza at home: using a traditional pizza stone and a new baking steel. We discuss the merits of each method and why a sheet of steel anyone can cut themselves makes a great platform for baking crispy thin-crust pizza.

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

oneh2obabe wrote:A36 is food safe but as slootman said, soak in vinegar to remove coating then season prior to using the first time.

Will tests two different methods of baking pizza at home: using a traditional pizza stone and a new baking steel. We discuss the merits of each method and why a sheet of steel anyone can cut themselves makes a great platform for baking crispy thin-crust pizza.

I'm very interested in getting a "pizza steel".

My reason isn't because the steel will do a better job. I'd be tickled pink if it worked as well.

I've gone through two pizza stones. I'm tired of them breaking.

I've always heated them up fully, followed all the directions, with the exception that the first one broke when my wife took it out of the oven while hot. It didn't last in one piece for more than a few seconds before it was in two pieces.

We then agreed to never take it out until it was cold, the next morning.

The next stone lasted a few months (after maybe 3 nights of cooking pizza), the next morning, the stone, being "stone" cold, was in, again two pieces without even touching it.

We have always been VERY gentle (with the exception of my wife taking the hot stone out of the oven) with our stones.

I checked every kitchen shop in the OK, most looked at me like I had two heads. Chef's Edge knew about them but wasn't interested in carrying them.

I'd love to find one.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Try either one of these places:
Okanagan Stainless Ltd.
778-760-5669
3545 Alcan Rd, Kelowna, BC V1X 7R3

Canadian Restaurant Supply Ltd.
250-979-1442
6-2604 Enterprise Way, Kelowna, BC V1X 7Y5

I'd try Okanagan Stainless first - they can more than likely fabricate a steel for you if there aren't any in stock.

If that fails, head to Amazon.ca - free shipping on orders over $35 and delivered to your door.
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... izza+steel
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Another suggestion since ^^^^^^^^ stole my idea of CRS^^^^^^^^, maybe try Action Metals or Knox Mountain Metal.
Bring back the LIKE button.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

I got mine from metal supermarkets. Mainly because they had an online quote option, and responded by 8AM the next morning - gotta love easy. They got it done right when I showed up. For most shops it'll a quick cut using a brake.
https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

The key is to make sure you know the dimensions that will work for your oven or bbq, as well as the desired thickness. I did look into amazon but good ones were over $150!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Just buy a real big cast iron skillet, They are cheap an will work great. I suggest CRS. They also have the paddles.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Cheaper still, my son is a Steel Fabricator. I just asked him for one as a Christmas gift.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

alanjh595 wrote:Just buy a real big cast iron skillet, They are cheap an will work great. I suggest CRS. They also have the paddles.

Cast iron will make a better pizza than a stone, but still not as good as steel. Chefs Edge carries Lodge cast iron stuff and may have a pizza pan, but I bet it'd be cheaper to get a slab of metal from a metalshop as being discussed.

P.S. Amazon has a lot of pizza steels for $50-60, but those are only 1/8" thick which is too thin to work well. Minimum for a great pizza is 1/4", with 1/2" being ideal but heavier and more expensive.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The ultimate way to make a pizza is to get someone else to make it i.e Panago
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mrs forum

Post by mrs forum »

The steel one's I looked at on Amazon seem like they are inferior quality.

I don't mind paying more if the quality is there.
And I don't mind heavy steel. A little grunting in the kitchen never hurt anybody. :admin:

Regarding pizza stone quality, I think you get what you pay for. Our pizza stone was close to $100. It's heavy.
It's going on 10+ years and we don't baby it.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

alanjh595 wrote:Just buy a real big cast iron skillet, They are cheap an will work great. I suggest CRS. They also have the paddles.

I'm gonna try this one from Costco and see how it compares to a stone....

https://www.costco.ca/Lodge-Pro-Logic-C ... -cm-(14-in.)-Pizza-Pan-with-Loop-Handles.product.100361635.html
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Wow, guess I'm behind the times;

I just spray a very small shot of cooking oil (Pam) on the shiny side of
a piece of tin-foil.
Place in the oven, put pizza on top.

Remove tinfoil and pizza in one shot when cooked to the desired amount.

Turns out as good as anyone's and clean-up and storage is easy. :smt045
Cost is real low. :up:

:130:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

:200: Let's hope the higher level of aluminum in Alzheimer patients' brains is never attributed to dietary causes....
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Really ????

"deleted by poster"

You enjoy your pizza, and I'll continue to enjoy mine...
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”