Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Sparki55
Guru

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Post by Sparki55 »

liisgo wrote:Here are the things my adult child got, has, done that I never did.
1)Most everything new, sports equipment, seasons ski pass, bikes, games, cell phones, etc.
2)Never got a job till 18. Had my first job @ 16
3)almost new cars. bought my own first car before I received my N, 12 year old car at the time
4)awesome regular holidays. never had a real holiday (one week) until I turned 23
5)New technology's the day they come out. can't afford it
6)Paid post secondary education. parents paid tuition, I paid for books, extras, gas, car insurance, etc
7)Take a year to travel the world.[/ [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [color]
8)No school debt. received enough scholarships to be lucky, friends of mine didn't fair so well
9)Everything around them is new, nothing old and ugly. [/c [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
10)$$$$ a month spent on clothes, hair, makeup, top insurance for top of the line car, holidays, eating out, new cell phone and contract, gym passes, etc etc.

The car loan, the eating out, all those extra "frills" that we did not have would easily pay the mortage on a 2 bedroom condo in rutland.
Oh but wait, thats below Millenials. ha
ecoforce

Post by ecoforce »

I am not in the Millenial generation. I guess I am in the "Luckier" generation, but I see the struggles with a little younger generation we have never faced before such as the high rent which is beyond insane now.

I don't know if you have spoken to any millennials lately, but it is quite alarming how depressed they are. Most of them don't even dream of success because they are so tired from working so much(and still poor). They CAN'T even think about owning a house because it is impossible and a half. AND They can't think about having kids because they are so broke! Remember, they are our country's future!

It is definitely one of the most expensive places to live in the world today. (I travel lots so I know very well how expensive it is here.)

Most millennials are spending more than 70% of their income on their house and car costs. And the Dental cost of Canada is truly insane. It costs like 10-50x(yes, not joking) of many developed countries except the USA which is also insane. One dental issue, and your financial status is pretty much screwed here. What I can't understand is why the Dental is not considered to be a part of the medical system. It is such a basic part of the society to thrive as who can work when your teeth hurt or got a headache from it. The whole efficiency goes down like crazy. Also think if people from other countries came, what do they think of our teeth when they look at us? It wasn't like this at all when we were younger. Only by 10-15yrs. Really. I think there have got to be some ways to bring these costs down. Otherwise, our true economy will never survive. It will be all taken by the housing, car and dental cost, and there won't be anything left for them to spend money on.

When people become poor, they will start thinking poor. I mean because the survival mode kicks in and people won't spend money on things which are often important as the society to thrive such as new technologies, investments, and new business ideas..etc.

Please look outside and start comparing before saying it is not that hard for the millennials. It is definitely harder than most other developed countries I know. Which means our future is grim if we don't take actions now. Any MP reading this. Please take steps, and please don't blame it on foreigners, because they are not the problem. I see them bringing money and making our country a better place rather than creating problems. Yes, I think a large number of refugees are one of the issues as they mostly take from our society in the first while compared to those that come in as immigrants. What's wrong here is that CANADIAN millennials don't have houses and some refugees do. I mean Canadians should be helped before the refugees are helped. Don't you think so???

Anyhow, I think we gotta look outside for the answers on many of our issues. Many of the countries have dealt with this exact issue and they had to go through. Don't say it's not the same. It is often very close how most societies grow. Our country is quite young and still lots to learn from other much older countries. Also, we are all humans and often the problems we face are similar. We don't have to copy them, but we can definitely learn from them.

I hope people will start looking at outside of our society to realize how messed up what we have now by reading my post.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

liisgo wrote:Here are the things my adult child got, has, done that I never did.
1)Most everything new, sports equipment, seasons ski pass, bikes, games, cell phones, etc.
2)Never got a job till 18.
3)almost new cars.
4)awesome regular holidays.
5)New technology's the day they come out.
6)Paid post secondary education.
7)Take a year to travel the world.
8)No school debt.
9)Everything around them is new, nothing old and ugly.
10)$$$$ a month spent on clothes, hair, makeup, top insurance for top of the line car, holidays, eating out, new cell phone and contract, gym passes, etc etc.

The car loan, the eating out, all those extra "frills" that we did not have would easily pay the mortage on a 2 bedroom condo in rutland.
Oh but wait, thats below Millenials. ha

Why didn’t you buy them a condo with that money then? Or in addition to the above? You bought them everything else....

I have two millennials and they are both well educated and successful in their young careers. They know the value of money and hard work. They don’t, and never did, "expect" everything fast, new, and free, yet they were raised in a relatively affluent household where they could have easily had those expectations.

I would expect them to be able to pay their bills and I have no doubt they will be able to purchase appropriate homes at the appropriate times. They both live in very expensive areas. And, most importantly, I did not treat them like the poster above describes how they treated their child.
It’s not millenials.....it’s millenials parents that were the problem.
You and 71 others Like this post
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

ecoforce wrote:I am not in the Millenial generation. I guess I am in the "Luckier" generation, but I see the struggles with a little younger generation we have never faced before such as the high rent which is beyond insane now.

I don't know if you have spoken to any millennials lately, but it is quite alarming how depressed they are. Most of them don't even dream of success because they are so tired from working so much(and still poor). They CAN'T even think about owning a house because it is impossible and a half. AND They can't think about having kids because they are so broke! Remember, they are our country's future! I see many young people driving around in cars that are newer than anything I drive,clubbing and taking vacations, I don't feel sorry at all

It is definitely one of the most expensive places to live in the world today. (I travel lots so I know very well how expensive it is here.)They are still living at home but instead of saving for a house they are blowing their working income on having a good time

Most millennials are spending more than 70% of their income on their house and car costs. And the Dental cost of Canada is truly insane. It costs like 10-50x(yes, not joking) of many developed countries except the USA which is also insane. One dental issue, and your financial status is pretty much screwed here. What I can't understand is why the Dental is not considered to be a part of the medical system. It is such a basic part of the society to thrive as who can work when your teeth hurt or got a headache from it.

If you are properly taking care of your teeth you should not need to see a dentist, you reap what you sow. Wouldn't it be fantastic if all dental work was free? Where is the personal responsiblity here?
The whole efficiency goes down like crazy. Also think if people from other countries came, what do they think of our teeth when they look at us? It wasn't like this at all when we were younger. Only by 10-15yrs. Really. I think there have got to be some ways to bring these costs down. Otherwise, our true economy will never survive. It will be all taken by the housing, car and dental cost, and there won't be anything left for them to spend money on.

When people become poor, they will start thinking poor. I mean because the survival mode kicks in and people won't spend money on things which are often important as the society to thrive such as new technologies, investments, and new business ideas..etc. Way too much thinking rich and borrowing to the point of no return

Please look outside and start comparing before saying it is not that hard for the millennials. It is definitely harder than most other developed countries I know. Which means our future is grim if we don't take actions now. Any MP reading this. Please take steps, and please don't blame it on foreigners, because they are not the problem. I see them bringing money and making our country a better place rather than creating problems. Yes, I think a large number of refugees are one of the issues as they mostly take from our society in the first while compared to those that come in as immigrants. What's wrong here is that CANADIAN millennials don't have houses and some refugees do. I mean Canadians should be helped before the refugees are helped. Don't you think so???

Anyhow, I think we gotta look outside for the answers on many of our issues. Many of the countries have dealt with this exact issue and they had to go through. Don't say it's not the same. It is often very close how most societies grow. Our country is quite young and still lots to learn from other much older countries. Also, we are all humans and often the problems we face are similar. We don't have to copy them, but we can definitely learn from them.

I hope people will start looking at outside of our society to realize how messed up what we have now by reading my post.
Waste not
ecoforce

Post by ecoforce »

well, I see that you are probably noticing some millennials with money, but most don't have what you mentioned. You are probably noticing more rich ones, but the truth is most of them don't have what you mentioned or blowing money on things like you say.

At least the ones I know are hard working people that just don't seem to be able to come ahead as cost of living is too high.

I guess you are probably in my age group who is a little older. I know it's hard to get a grasp of their situation as we never went through it or most of the time we can't see it first hand.

Remember, they normally get paid less than us, and still, must come up with the same amount to pay for the housing as there is nothing left to rent.(and often denied to be rented as they are younger and higher risk of partiers like you say)

That is really screwing them. Also, it is absolutely wrong about the dental thing. Dental stability is totally depending on the person and some people have much weaker teeth than others. Just look into this fact. It's true. As a society as a whole, I think we need to back up those people with unstable dental situation anyhow.

Another fact is that most other developed countries have millennials driving much newer cars, and still, yet, being able to afford to live much better.

I think they deserve it anyway.. since I think we lived much better than them when we were younger. When did we become so non-giving to the younger generation... why are most of us are so critical of them? I think it's totally wrong. We should be nicer to them. I think it will all come back to us at the end.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

ecoforce wrote:well, I see that you are probably noticing some millennials with money, but most don't have what you mentioned. You are probably noticing more rich ones, but the truth is most of them don't have what you mentioned or blowing money on things like you say.

True story: You have to HAVE money to borrow money. People have gotten lazy and unaware of what is around them. I encourage people to stop looking at just the most visible, and look for the others. Those other millennials, though, they'll be difficult to find; they're working 2-4 jobs to pay $1500 rent for a shoebox that isn't a Jabs dive on Pandosy.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Grandan wrote:
ecoforce wrote:I am not in the Millenial generation. I guess I am in the "Luckier" generation, but I see the struggles with a little younger generation we have never faced before such as the high rent which is beyond insane now.

I don't know if you have spoken to any millennials lately, but it is quite alarming how depressed they are. Most of them don't even dream of success because they are so tired from working so much(and still poor). They CAN'T even think about owning a house because it is impossible and a half. AND They can't think about having kids because they are so broke! Remember, they are our country's future! I see many young people driving around in cars that are newer than anything I drive,clubbing and taking vacations, I don't feel sorry at all

It is definitely one of the most expensive places to live in the world today. (I travel lots so I know very well how expensive it is here.)They are still living at home but instead of saving for a house they are blowing their working income on having a good time

Most millennials are spending more than 70% of their income on their house and car costs. And the Dental cost of Canada is truly insane. It costs like 10-50x(yes, not joking) of many developed countries except the USA which is also insane. One dental issue, and your financial status is pretty much screwed here. What I can't understand is why the Dental is not considered to be a part of the medical system. It is such a basic part of the society to thrive as who can work when your teeth hurt or got a headache from it.

If you are properly taking care of your teeth you should not need to see a dentist, you reap what you sow. Wouldn't it be fantastic if all dental work was free? Where is the personal responsiblity here?
The whole efficiency goes down like crazy. Also think if people from other countries came, what do they think of our teeth when they look at us? It wasn't like this at all when we were younger. Only by 10-15yrs. Really. I think there have got to be some ways to bring these costs down. Otherwise, our true economy will never survive. It will be all taken by the housing, car and dental cost, and there won't be anything left for them to spend money on.

When people become poor, they will start thinking poor. I mean because the survival mode kicks in and people won't spend money on things which are often important as the society to thrive such as new technologies, investments, and new business ideas..etc. Way too much thinking rich and borrowing to the point of no return

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-december-07-2017-1.4436013/sometimes-i-can-t-drink-or-eat-syrian-refugee-living-in-b-c-faces-10k-dental-bill-1.4436052
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Another Millennial bashing thread!
And I almost missed it.

Roll a CS canister into their parents basement and start chasing those young'uns around with the "shame bat". :up:
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

ecoforce wrote:well, I see that you are probably noticing some millennials with money, but most don't have what you mentioned. You are probably noticing more rich ones, but the truth is most of them don't have what you mentioned or blowing money on things like you say.

kgcayenne wrote:True story: You have to HAVE money to borrow money. People have gotten lazy and unaware of what is around them. I encourage people to stop looking at just the most visible, and look for the others. Those other millennials, though, they'll be difficult to find; they're working 2-4 jobs to pay $1500 rent for a shoebox that isn't a Jabs dive on Pandosy.

If Canadian statistics are anything like the American, then half of millineals are living in their parents basements which is why they can afford some of the things they have. They are not working 2 jobs because they don't need to with the bank of Mom and Dad footing the bill. And they are not saving money to move out seeing as they can afford the kind of entertainment they partake in.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 06e1aee2fc

In reality, behind the trend are older millennials, particularly those without college degrees, who are living at home in unprecedented numbers. Now, it remains true that the youngest adults are still the most likely to live with their parents. Half of them do, according to Pew, up from 46 percent a decade ago.Jun 30, 2016
Waste not
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Queen K wrote: Millenials have far too many expenses today that their parents and grandparents never faced before.

The increasing tax burden from left wing governments that can't control their spending takes a toll on all demographics, not just millenials.

The largely left wing millenials, for all their righteous, self-importance and feelings of moral superiority, always seem to want someone else to pay the bill. Personal responsibility is a foreign term.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Too Ecodrive, or whatever; There is just so much drivel in all of your posts, I wouldn't know where to start dissecting them.

The teeth thing jumps out though. You must be British.

Between my wifes sistes family and ours, we have five kids. They, all of them have figured out what it takes to survive and thrive. They all were born and raised here so this is what they know.

They own houses, one of them has two. They have great jobs. One is studying to be a dentist. One has two Masters degrees. One has his own business. One, without benefit of a post secondary education is a project manager for a local business. ONe is married, owns their own home and doesn't have toowrk because the millennial husband does just fine, thank you very much, and yes, he too was born and raised here.

All millenials.

Their parents were not wealthy by any stretch yet the whole shebang are out there tearing it and dooing better than we were at the same age.

So where does the problem lie?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Rwede wrote:
Queen K wrote: Millenials have far too many expenses today that their parents and grandparents never faced before.

The increasing tax burden from left wing governments that can't control their spending takes a toll on all demographics, not just millenials.

The largely left wing millenials, for all their righteous, self-importance and feelings of moral superiority, always seem to want someone else to pay the bill. Personal responsibility is a foreign term.

^^ I am going to suggest that last statement is such an ingrained bias you hold so dear to your heart and soul that no one could defend them or themselves other than to say, "that is sheer spiteful hatred and not true."

However, Rwede, you bring up their tax burden. True, taxes in all forms have increased but the so have health care costs taking care of the elderly and retired people, which is reaching crisis numbers. Also please note, in my post I brought up all kinds of expenses your generation and my parents ( suspect you're in your late 50s to 60s) never faced.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

With each generation, the conventions of living and thriving change. Boomers did nothing special but be born when they were. They, being the largest demographic for a very long time, set tone and had significant influence on everything afterward. The chickens have come home to roost. Maybe, in time, Gen-X and Millennials, will come together to outnumber and out-influence an outdated protocol.

Will it be easy? No.

Will it be comfortable? Heck no, when has change like this ever been comfortable?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

kgcayenne wrote:With each generation, the conventions of living and thriving change. Boomers did nothing special but be born when they were. They, being the largest demographic for a very long time, set tone and had significant influence on everything afterward. The chickens have come home to roost. Maybe, in time, Gen-X and Millennials, will come together to outnumber and out-influence an outdated protocol.

Will it be easy? No.

Will it be comfortable? Heck no, when has change like this ever been comfortable?

They certainly did do something special. They organized, unionized and fought like hell to get the benefits that are taken for granted these days. Often it wasn't comfortable. Was it easy? No.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

mexi cali wrote:Too Ecodrive, or whatever; There is just so much drivel in all of your posts, I wouldn't know where to start dissecting them.

The teeth thing jumps out though. You must be British.

Between my wifes sistes family and ours, we have five kids. They, all of them have figured out what it takes to survive and thrive. They all were born and raised here so this is what they know.

They own houses, one of them has two. They have great jobs. One is studying to be a dentist. One has two Masters degrees. One has his own business. One, without benefit of a post secondary education is a project manager for a local business. ONe is married, owns their own home and doesn't have toowrk because the millennial husband does just fine, thank you very much, and yes, he too was born and raised here.

All millenials.

Their parents were not wealthy by any stretch yet the whole shebang are out there tearing it and dooing better than we were at the same age.

So where does the problem lie?

I call BS. I have friends working in trades, as nurses and an engineer buddy who all don't own homes. Only one person in a couple working, how? It's damn near impossible to buy a home with 2 working full time. These children of yours must all make over $80,000 each a year(median family income in Canada is $76,000).

Two masters degrees? When the F does one find time to work full time and get 2 masters. The cost of two masters degrees is up in the $100,000 range :200: so don't tell me they weren't working, going to school and managed to buy a house all before turning 35?

I've heard enough of people blaming millennials and posting ridiculous stories and saying, you can do it too! This generation makes enough to get 1 degree while living at home with parents, moving out @22-23 , getting a job and saving until 30 to buy a 1 bed condo, or team up with a SO and buy a 2 bed condo or small townhome. It works but in no means is it as easy as the generation before who owned single family home with yards.

Return to “Social Concerns”