Unemployement in the Okanagan

AlienSoldier
Übergod

Unemployement in the Okanagan

Post by AlienSoldier »

Great to hear the economy is back to growth, but interesting to see that Kelowna did not benefit as much from the current decrease in unemployment.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/job-surg ... -1.3702696
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Post by Even Steven »

What you mean it didn't benefit?

Two years ago (or even a year ago?) everybody was discussing how Kelowna had the highest unemployment rate in the country.

Now everybody who wants to work has a job.

I see a clear benefit.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

BC has the lowest unemployment rate in the country and Kelowna improved by .1 so that is still an improvement.
In my opinion and as a small business owner anyone that truly wants to work right now can easily get a job. Drive around the Okanagan communities and you will see a ton of help wanted signs. I know personally we have had open positions going on 2 months now and the applications we get, by the time we set up an interview they have found employment else where.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Jhunter199 wrote:BC has the lowest unemployment rate in the country and Kelowna improved by .1 so that is still an improvement.
In my opinion and as a small business owner anyone that truly wants to work right now can easily get a job. Drive around the Okanagan communities and you will see a ton of help wanted signs. I know personally we have had open positions going on 2 months now and the applications we get, by the time we set up an interview they have found employment else where.

The problem is wages
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Jflem1983 wrote:The problem is wages

What problem though?
If everyone who wants a job, has one, then the problem is the remainder, which is those who don't want a job ? So the reason they don't want a job is wages? They can enjoy not having a job for all the benefits it provides them. I'd rather work and live a comfortable life. I work in Kelowna and have zero gripes about my wages.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jflem1983 wrote:
Jhunter199 wrote:BC has the lowest unemployment rate in the country and Kelowna improved by .1 so that is still an improvement.

The problem is wages

If some of the middle class require two paying jobs to keep up with unpaid debt I can see why unemployment in this area is low. Just saying...
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

If you really want a job, there are plenty to choose from.
Postings, adds, signs abound.

In 1991 there were TWO, that's right, two job postings, and in
the papers, the very same two.

Work (job) still managed to find me.

If one is in dire need of survival money, wage has very little to do with what work
one takes.
Do what is required of you and keep looking, always better conditions of finding
employment when holding down a position elsewhere. or,
making advancements where one is already employed.

There is a reason unemployed people are unemployed, and it usually falls on
the short-comings of the individual.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Ken7 wrote:
If some of the middle class require two paying jobs to keep up with unpaid debt I can see why unemployment in this area is low. Just saying...

If someone is "middle class" yet requires two jobs to keep up to unpaid debt, I suggest they mismanaged their credit priveledges a little bit and are living outside their means.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I quit hiring the unemployed...
I quit hiring pretty much anyone.....

I hate firing people, but got pretty good at it...less remorseful.
They did it to themselves..
Not my job to hold peoples hands !

And rely on......myself...way less issues, stress, and BS.
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

Honestly I gave up on finding an industrial mechanic apprenticeship however I did find a company a few months ago that at least has me doing what I went to school for (it's relevant experience but there isn't anyone for me to apprentice under...I am the millwright so the learning curve is darn near vertical at times!). There's still a lot of welding involved (my former trade that I have a strong distaste for because reasons) but in all honestly it's better than nothing and the wage they pay me is livable and for that I'm grateful...plus my employment gap is no longer growing! :biggrin:
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

youjustcomplain wrote:So the reason they don't want a job is wages?

Umm, yes? If the job pays less or barely above welfare then why bother working at the position? Isn't the time better spent volunteering and or interning to gain experience than working for practically nothing and being demeaned as a human being and falling into depression issues?
whattaday

Post by whattaday »

Lol, that’s bs. Anyone who literally says, “I’ll take my $600-$700 welfare check that doesn’t cover my rent or food, over a $11/hour job that gives me 24-38 hours/week and at the most PT end of that, makes me just under $1,000/month” is purely lazy and has low ambition to improve their quality of life.

Not to mention raises, or using what you learned to apply at better jobs where you can negotiate a wage based on your experience and charisma..
cool story, bro
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^^^^Agreed^^^^^

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Umm, yes? If the job pays less or barely above welfare then why bother working at the position? Isn't the time better spent volunteering and or interning to gain experience than working for practically nothing and being demeaned as a human being and falling into depression issues?

This way of thinking is setting oneself up for financial, and in turn a life of ruin.
A race to the bottom !

Not to mention putting ones lack of self onto the back's and wallet's of their fellow
citizens.

Get off yer f :cuss: n' azzes and take the job, show up on time, hold yer head up, put a smile
on yer face, look people in the eye, and dig in with enthusiasm !

Amazing how much better one feels about themselves, and in turn, the
opening of doors to opportunity that present themselves.

Life does not owe you a living, you owe it to yourself !
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
youjustcomplain wrote:So the reason they don't want a job is wages?

What a ridiculous remark!

So by your metric sitting on your *bleep* collecting welfare isn't demeaning, and is an antidote to depression?

Got news for you, there is no such thing as a demeaning job if it provides one with experience, a pay cheque, and self esteem.

Every job that's out there someone has to do, and from where I sit, I have more respect for someone washing dishes for minimum wage, than I could ever muster up for some self entitled, lack of ambition, drain on the system loser, sitting at home collecting welfare, playing video games, while waiting for some future employer to come knocking on his/her door, with an offer of a six figure dream job, full benefits, and no skills required, to ensure that they don't fall into depression.

Yeah that sounds like a plan!

It's been proven time and time again, that it's easier for an employed person to find another job and better themselves, than it is for an unemployed person to get a job, let alone one that encompasses high expectations, when you have little to bring to the table.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Old Techie wrote: sitting on your *bleep* collecting welfare

some self entitled, lack of ambition, drain on the system loser, sitting at home collecting welfare, playing video games, while waiting for some future employer to come knocking on his/her door, with an offer of a six figure dream job, full benefits, and no skills required, to ensure that they don't fall into depression.

Yeah that sounds like a plan!

Settle down. I said absolutely nothing about sitting at home and collecting welfare cheques. I offered the opinion that volunteering and or interning can lead to better options than taking a low-level job which depending on the hours might actually pay less than welfare.

Maybe read what someone types next time before the group of you here starts yelling at someone for being an entitled brat for thinking of different options to get ahead in life than taking some crap job.

Return to “Central Okanagan”