Post by maryjane48 »

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/12/ ... ad-horses/

Race horses burnt :200:

Just think this is their winter coldest time of year
Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: California wildfires

Post by Drip_Torch »

RH values expressed in single digits, wind gusts up to 75 mp/h (120 km/h). Yeah, it didn't seem like they were going to catch a break, but they were able to launch 26 tankers on the Murrieta fire this afternoon - an impressive initial attack.

The Lilac fire showed an awesome initial release of energy, but appears to be stabilizing late this evening and they have night heli-tanking operations going on.

Untitled-111.jpg

The fire in Ventura county is still going strong in the hills, but it's being pushed into the pacific ocean by the winds.

Looks like the winds are abating, but the temps appear to be going up in the short term.

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled11.jpg
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Dec 7th, 2017, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Currently daytime temps mid 20s (mid 70s)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Yeah, perfect ground pounding temps, but it's heading into the mid 80's through the weekend and into early next week.

Untitled-6.jpg
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Currently daytime temps mid 20s (mid 70s)

Combination of hot & very dry condition = 1 spark & poof... add in those reliable California winds = major poof.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

The scene showing the gentleman taking a minute in that firestorm to save a frightened wild rabbit from burning to death won my heart completely.

I see the smoke on TV and it brings back the ugly smell we endured all summer. Poor California, poor B.C.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Catsumi wrote:The scene showing the gentleman taking a minute in that firestorm to save a frightened wild rabbit from burning to death won my heart completely.

Left me shaking my head. I think a rabbit has better survival skills than that man to avoid being burned to death. How many more human lives would need to be risked if he got into trouble?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

We are different people in how we view the world. The scene happened, we were able to view it and come to different conclusions. I saw the compassion, you saw the risk.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
KenL

Post by KenL »

Terrible fires, and we in BC all know the effects too well. No stormy weather recently in California to cause them, so all are of human origin. Lots of chatter on Facebook, etc that several of the fires are caused by vandals, possibly even a planned terror attack.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The fires were exacerbated by unusually powerful and long-lasting Santa Ana winds,[87] as well as large amounts of dry vegetation grown due to large amounts of precipitation earlier in the year,

Wikipedia

No doubt human caused but embers can travel and start other fires - especially with the winds. We saw what happened with the Okanagan Mountain fire and how far chunks of debris travelled. Devastating and tragic.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Fancy wrote:Devastating and tragic.

Yes, and I find cause to lament...

Oh, if only they would engage with BC in a technology transfer program and we could release our technical SPU secrets.

They could then begin the process of large scale fuel treatments, with copious amounts of hydrogen hydroxide, to release the humidity bubble.

(Although, having said that; what they do seems to work too. And, they definitely do utilize the wheel to their maximum benefit.)
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Fancy wrote:No doubt human caused but embers can travel and start other fires

KenL wrote: No stormy weather recently in California to cause them, so all are of human origin.

Perhaps some but The other day I heard a quick clip mentioning the high winds blew down some trees onto power lines and started a fire. So I suppose man made the power lines so man made?
Anyway those winds are incredible. Never seen fires with winds like that.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Return to “World”