Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Yes
46%
So-so
27%
No
28%

Total votes: 147

monroe
Übergod

Re: Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Post by monroe »

Well ... if you want space, you could try n out here in big sky country

Wheat and lentils far as the eye can see.

" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I'm happy in the Okanagan. But I was also happy growing up in Saskatchewan. And happy in a couple of years in Ontario. And in Nunavut and the NWT for about 6 years. I've concluded that your level of satisfaction with life isn't where you live, it's how you live.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

bob vernon wrote:I'm happy in the Okanagan. But I was also happy growing up in Saskatchewan. And happy in a couple of years in Ontario. And in Nunavut and the NWT for about 6 years. I've concluded that your level of satisfaction with life isn't where you live, it's how you live.

Agree with you 100%............I look out our kitchen window everyday and am I awe of our scenery here. The above prairie picture brings back amazing memories. Watching thunderstorms form in the distance is something people who only know Kelowna or B.C. have never experienced............miss that weather "show".
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

lesliepaul wrote:
bob vernon wrote:I'm happy in the Okanagan. But I was also happy growing up in Saskatchewan. And happy in a couple of years in Ontario. And in Nunavut and the NWT for about 6 years. I've concluded that your level of satisfaction with life isn't where you live, it's how you live.

Agree with you 100%............I look out our kitchen window everyday and am I awe of our scenery here. The above prairie picture brings back amazing memories. Watching thunderstorms form in the distance is something people who only know Kelowna or B.C. have never experienced............miss that weather "show".

Lightning storms moving through the valley. A backdrop of sheet lightning behind the mountains. Storms over the plateau into the distance.

Same, but different.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

I used to think I was happy living in the Okanagan but what I was really happy about was being able to jump in my vehicle and be in the back country within 20 minutes, to escape the useless fake idiots living in Kelowna.

I moved away a few years ago mainly due to the high cost of rentals/housing and would never move there again. The Okanagan seems to attract the most annoying people around, the rich (or debt ridden) hoity-toity snots, the douchey steroid players that are completely useless, fake plastic 'oh so special' princess tramps, and then of course business that wants to pay pathetic wages. Kelowna is like a giant strip-mall, no substance, no appeal. Landlords think their basement suites with bugs and no light are worth 1200 a month. Take out everyone in that town making minimum wage and you'd probably be left with 10,000 people living there, strip malls do not make a prosperous city.

BC is a large province and the majority of it has the same scenery, or better, than the Okanagan. I'll take my chances elsewhere where it isn't full of people trying to 'live the dream' in their wannabe mini California crap hole.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

davis123 wrote:I used to think I was happy living in the Okanagan but what I was really happy about was being able to jump in my vehicle and be in the back country within 20 minutes, to escape the useless fake idiots living in Kelowna.

I moved away a few years ago mainly due to the high cost of rentals/housing and would never move there again. The Okanagan seems to attract the most annoying people around, the rich (or debt ridden) hoity-toity snots, the douchey steroid players that are completely useless, fake plastic 'oh so special' princess tramps, and then of course business that wants to pay pathetic wages. Kelowna is like a giant strip-mall, no substance, no appeal. Landlords think their basement suites with bugs and no light are worth 1200 a month. Take out everyone in that town making minimum wage and you'd probably be left with 10,000 people living there, strip malls do not make a prosperous city.

BC is a large province and the majority of it has the same scenery, or better, than the Okanagan. I'll take my chances elsewhere where it isn't full of people trying to 'live the dream' in their wannabe mini California crap hole.

I don't disagree at all - but I'm curious where you'd recommend someone move to.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Today I looked up alternative places to work in what I do other than the Okanagan. Looks like I can go anywhere in the province except for the two places I've coveted for a while now. Golden and Fernie. I would go work as a casual in Lytton and Revelstoke if I only had me to consider, but I don't. I'd keep my house but rent it out with a professional management team hired to look after details.

It's not that I'm unhappy here, it's that I want to experience other places. Is there a difference? I thinks so.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

I vote Revelstoke. :up:

In the last 10 years that place has really cleaned up. Good small town vibe there also, similar in many ways to Nelson.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

There some good qualities to Revelstoke, mostly in its geography and proximity to highway junctions going off to the Okanagan, Kootaneys and towards the national park continuum consisting of Yoho/Jasper/Banff/Kootenay. Golden is only 18 Km outside of Yoho though, I'd love to be there, but Revelstoke has the advantage of easy access to the Kootaneys, I'd say easier than here even.

I'm looking at all of this through the prism of photography and proximity.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

davis123 wrote:I used to think I was happy living in the Okanagan but what I was really happy about was being able to jump in my vehicle and be in the back country within 20 minutes, to escape the useless fake idiots living in Kelowna.

I don't recognize the city you are describing, you must have been operating in quite different circles than I have.
I see opportunity and imagination. I see dedicated people who want a better life than can be found in places less blessed than is Kelowna. Perfect it is not and it attracts it's share of people down on their luck but if it were the dung hole you descibe it would be far less popular. Perhaps it has improved since you left?
Waste not
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Queen K wrote:There some good qualities to Revelstoke, mostly in its geography and proximity to highway junctions going off to the Okanagan, Kootaneys and towards the national park continuum consisting of Yoho/Jasper/Banff/Kootenay. Golden is only 18 Km outside of Yoho though, I'd love to be there, but Revelstoke has the advantage of easy access to the Kootaneys, I'd say easier than here even.

I'm looking at all of this through the prism of photography and proximity.

Hey, you forget meadow in the sky park or whatever its called. You could spend a year up there and never get it all.

Or the train museum. The caveman Loves that place. Way better than any indoor play center.
dmctighe

Post by dmctighe »

I have left the Okanagan. My reasons were very simple, Too Hot for my liking, Too much of a Fire danger, and too much Traffic. I lived on the edge of the forest backing onto Powers Creek, a beautiful peaceful setting, but the Fire danger was just too great. There are so many human caused fires around the outskirts of the City. Highway 97 traffic is awful, poor drivers who are tailgating and speeding, as evidenced by so many accidents. Traffic in the summer, especially long weekends is always terrible. We loved the concept of Kelowna, but it's just not designed for the numbers of cars on the roadways. Thanks for the memories, and good luck folks ;-)
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

dmctighe wrote:I have left the Okanagan. My reasons were very simple, Too Hot for my liking, Too much of a Fire danger, and too much Traffic. I lived on the edge of the forest backing onto Powers Creek, a beautiful peaceful setting, but the Fire danger was just too great. There are so many human caused fires around the outskirts of the City. Highway 97 traffic is awful, poor drivers who are tailgating and speeding, as evidenced by so many accidents. Traffic in the summer, especially long weekends is always terrible. We loved the concept of Kelowna, but it's just not designed for the numbers of cars on the roadways. Thanks for the memories, and good luck folks ;-)

Certainly a good reply but not one I expected. This is BC and fires will happen. I left because Kelowna has gone way down hill for more than a decade. Considering that a person like Colin Basran is now Mayor, was enough to push me over the edge. Crappy wages, (making twice as much doing the same job), ridiculous housing, way too many brain-dead Alberta type drivers, and about as much community spirit as a stalag. And no, not saying where because Kelowna was once like the place I am now and we would rather keep it the way it is. Enjoy.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

When you turn a place into a dump just like the truck this morning did you wonder why it's going down the gutter. Thanks for throwing your Tim Hortons out the window on Sneener Road it's a pity no named business on the side
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Get their plate and call it in

Return to “Central Okanagan”