Unemployement in the Okanagan

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby dirtybiker » Dec 9th, 2017, 12:16 pm

HorganIsMyHero wrote: than taking some *bleep* job.


Every single person of any self worth took "some *bleep* job" along the way.
Likely several.

Every ladder has a top wrung and a bottom wrung.

Riddle me this;

How is it that one achieves the top wrung ?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Bpeep likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 7428
Likes: 8478 posts
Liked in: 3682 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 9th, 2017, 12:21 pm

dirtybiker wrote:
HorganIsMyHero wrote: than taking some *bleep* job.


Every single person of any self worth took "some *bleep* job" along the way.
Likely several.

Every ladder has a top wrung and a bottom wrung.

Riddle me this;

How is it that one achieves the top wrung ?




By complaining online. Collecting WELFARE. Being useless ?
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

dirtybiker likes this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
 
Posts: 5785
Likes: 12256 posts
Liked in: 3272 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 11:38 am

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 9th, 2017, 12:25 pm

By *bleep* job, I specifically mean something that pays far below a liveable wage and most likely has few to no regulations for a professional working atmosphere. i'd personally rather volunteer and or intern to work into at least a slightly better job that won't make me feel like 'm less than human. Apparently my line of thinking is offensive and makes me an entitled brat and it has been decided by the Castanet gang that I sit at home all day playing video games while waiting for welfare cheques.

Whatever, I guess I should have expected a fling of insults my way because everyone in life should go be a dishwasher or clean up poop instead of thinking outside the box and maybe working unpaid positions to network and gain experience. My bad.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 238 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 9th, 2017, 12:27 pm

dirtybiker wrote:
HorganIsMyHero wrote: than taking some *bleep* job.


Every single person of any self worth took "some *bleep* job" along the way.
Likely several.

Every ladder has a top wrung and a bottom wrung.

Riddle me this;

How is it that one achieves the top wrung ?


By starting at the bottom and climbing, a concept that all too many these days view as beneath them.

I blame our current education system for this partially, as clearly many come out of high school with no job experience, yet feel they are qualified to not only get paid the same as management, but obtain the positions as well, without putting in the work.

From observation, if they've come from college or university, the expectations are even less realistic often times, if that's even possible.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 5167
Likes: 5439 posts
Liked in: 7439 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 9th, 2017, 12:29 pm

HorganIsMyHero wrote:By *bleep* job, I specifically mean something that pays far below a liveable wage and most likely has few to no regulations for a professional working atmosphere. i'd personally rather volunteer and or intern to work into at least a slightly better job that won't make me feel like 'm less than human. Apparently my line of thinking is offensive and makes me an entitled brat and it has been decided by the Castanet gang that I sit at home all day playing video games while waiting for welfare cheques.

Whatever, I guess I should have expected a fling of insults my way because everyone in life should go be a dishwasher or clean up poop instead of thinking outside the box and maybe working unpaid positions to network and gain experience. My bad.


Perhaps read what you are about to post, and put yourself in other people's shoes to see how it might be taken.

You portrayed yourself as too superior to accept lesser positions, even if circumstances required it, and that's not about to garner much sympathy anywhere, let alone these forums.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 5167
Likes: 5439 posts
Liked in: 7439 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby dirtybiker » Dec 9th, 2017, 12:34 pm

HorganIsMyHero wrote: working unpaid positions to network


Agreed, to a degree....

Had a few friends that volunteered at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver a few years back.
A definite boon to their lot in life.

Volunteer to ladel soup downtown, although noble, not so much to the networking end.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 7428
Likes: 8478 posts
Liked in: 3682 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 9th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Old Techie wrote:You portrayed yourself as too superior to accept lesser positions


Weird that you would perceive my comments this way when i specifically mentioned volunteering and or interning for no money at all in order to gain experience. People here have a real problem with attacking users who don't follow a rigid life path that emulates exactly what people did 50 years ago.

The topic is unemployment. I'm suggesting some people might be working unpaid jobs in order to get into a paid position that is at least reasonable. In fact, at WorkBC this is exactly what I was told to do. I was told to volunteer in my career path of choice and send out handwritten letters asking to work for free. It's worked amazingly well for me.....oh wait no it hasn't because I'm actually sitting on my arse all day playing video games and collecting cheques. Oh well.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 238 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 9th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Old Techie wrote:You portrayed yourself as too superior to accept lesser positions


HorganIsMyHero wrote:Weird that you would perceive my comments this way when i specifically mentioned volunteering and or interning for no money at all in order to gain experience. People here have a real problem with attacking users who don't follow a rigid life path that emulates exactly what people did 50 years ago.

The topic is unemployment. I'm suggesting some people might be working unpaid jobs in order to get into a paid position that is at least reasonable. In fact, at WorkBC this is exactly what I was told to do. I was told to volunteer in my career path of choice and send out handwritten letters asking to work for free. It's worked amazingly well for me.....oh wait no it hasn't because I'm actually sitting on my arse all day playing video games and collecting cheques. Oh well.


Hardly weird when you factor in that your situation would be the exception to the rule, and most unemployed don't have the luxury of spending all day working for free to network.

I'm fairly certain current qualifications to receive either EI or welfare would also prohibit that approach.

Consider yourself fortunate, as most would have to take that "crappy demeaning job" you speak of.

A little familiarization with just how many people live pay day to pay day might be in order.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 5167
Likes: 5439 posts
Liked in: 7439 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby Bpeep » Dec 9th, 2017, 1:01 pm

People can volunteer and work for free all they want, but those aren't ingredients to further oneself very far.
Any job that will allow you to volunteer and work for free at won't require much for skill or qualifications, so pretty much any lackey can do it. It is exactly what it is- a job.
Don't expect to get very affluent from it.
Get some post sec ed.
Get some qualification.
Earn a designation.
Realize your potential.

Or, work for free to entice an employer to give you a 15 dollar an hour job that provides a substandard living, and zero security.
But anyone can do that.

Be somebody.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive *bleep* excessively.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Bpeep
Mindquad
 
Posts: 29001
Likes: 13118 posts
Liked in: 10422 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 11:05 am
Location: Surrey-By-The-Lake

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby dirtybiker » Dec 9th, 2017, 1:52 pm

I your '*bleep* job' is dishwasher...

Be the best dam dishwasher the world has ever known !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Bpeep likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 7428
Likes: 8478 posts
Liked in: 3682 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 9th, 2017, 3:01 pm

dirtybiker wrote:I your '*bleep* job' is dishwasher...

Be the best dam dishwasher the world has ever known !


I'm sorry, why did this topic turn into bashing me?

I mentioned dishwashing because it's a minimum wage job. What I actually said about my definition of a *bleep* job is right here but apparently you never read it and decided to put words in my mouth:

HorganIsMyHero wrote:By *bleep* job, I specifically mean something that pays far below a liveable wage and most likely has few to no regulations for a professional working atmosphere.


Kinda difficult to get an opinion in edge-wise here when the residents would rather throw around absurd personal attacks instead of actually reading what a person has to say and spend half a second trying to comprehend the sentences.

The actual topic is unemployment in Kelowna. People who try untraditional approaches like working for free to get ahead in life might be skewing unemployment numbers.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 238 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 9th, 2017, 3:04 pm

Bman wrote:Any job that will allow you to volunteer and work for free at won't require much for skill or qualifications


This is completely untrue but you can believe what you want. Accounting and engineering jobs definitely allow people to shadow, intern, and or work for free. It completely depends on the company and employees involved and how much training or schooling the person wanting job experience has.

Do these unemployment statistics take into account people interning or not?
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 238 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby Bpeep » Dec 9th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Do you actually think you can get an accounting or engineering degree by shadowing?
C'mon now.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive *bleep* excessively.
User avatar
Bpeep
Mindquad
 
Posts: 29001
Likes: 13118 posts
Liked in: 10422 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 11:05 am
Location: Surrey-By-The-Lake

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby Bpeep » Dec 9th, 2017, 3:07 pm

My kid shadows doctors on her free days.
It won't qualify her for nothing.
Zero.
She needs 3 university degrees to qualify in her field.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive *bleep* excessively.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Bpeep
Mindquad
 
Posts: 29001
Likes: 13118 posts
Liked in: 10422 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 11:05 am
Location: Surrey-By-The-Lake

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 9th, 2017, 3:08 pm

Bman wrote:Do you actually think you can get an accounting or engineering degree by shadowing?
C'mon now.


Where did I say this? I have no clue what you're talking about. My posts have been about acquiring a position, not about earning a degree. Try reading please.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 238 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2017, 2:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests