Unemployement in the Okanagan

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Post by dirtybiker »

HorganIsMyHero wrote: than taking some crap job.

Every single person of any self worth took "some crap job" along the way.
Likely several.

Every ladder has a top wrung and a bottom wrung.

Riddle me this;

How is it that one achieves the top wrung ?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

dirtybiker wrote:

Likely several.

Riddle me this;

By complaining online. Collecting WELFARE. Being useless ?
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

By crap job, I specifically mean something that pays far below a liveable wage and most likely has few to no regulations for a professional working atmosphere. i'd personally rather volunteer and or intern to work into at least a slightly better job that won't make me feel like 'm less than human. Apparently my line of thinking is offensive and makes me an entitled brat and it has been decided by the Castanet gang that I sit at home all day playing video games while waiting for welfare cheques.

Whatever, I guess I should have expected a fling of insults my way because everyone in life should go be a dishwasher or clean up poop instead of thinking outside the box and maybe working unpaid positions to network and gain experience. My bad.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

dirtybiker wrote:

Likely several.

Riddle me this;

By starting at the bottom and climbing, a concept that all too many these days view as beneath them.

I blame our current education system for this partially, as clearly many come out of high school with no job experience, yet feel they are qualified to not only get paid the same as management, but obtain the positions as well, without putting in the work.

From observation, if they've come from college or university, the expectations are even less realistic often times, if that's even possible.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:By crap job, I specifically mean something that pays far below a liveable wage and most likely has few to no regulations for a professional working atmosphere. i'd personally rather volunteer and or intern to work into at least a slightly better job that won't make me feel like 'm less than human. Apparently my line of thinking is offensive and makes me an entitled brat and it has been decided by the Castanet gang that I sit at home all day playing video games while waiting for welfare cheques.

Whatever, I guess I should have expected a fling of insults my way because everyone in life should go be a dishwasher or clean up poop instead of thinking outside the box and maybe working unpaid positions to network and gain experience. My bad.

Perhaps read what you are about to post, and put yourself in other people's shoes to see how it might be taken.

You portrayed yourself as too superior to accept lesser positions, even if circumstances required it, and that's not about to garner much sympathy anywhere, let alone these forums.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

HorganIsMyHero wrote: working unpaid positions to network

Agreed, to a degree....

Had a few friends that volunteered at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver a few years back.
A definite boon to their lot in life.

Volunteer to ladel soup downtown, although noble, not so much to the networking end.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Old Techie wrote:You portrayed yourself as too superior to accept lesser positions

Weird that you would perceive my comments this way when i specifically mentioned volunteering and or interning for no money at all in order to gain experience. People here have a real problem with attacking users who don't follow a rigid life path that emulates exactly what people did 50 years ago.

The topic is unemployment. I'm suggesting some people might be working unpaid jobs in order to get into a paid position that is at least reasonable. In fact, at WorkBC this is exactly what I was told to do. I was told to volunteer in my career path of choice and send out handwritten letters asking to work for free. It's worked amazingly well for me.....oh wait no it hasn't because I'm actually sitting on my *bleep* all day playing video games and collecting cheques. Oh well.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Old Techie wrote:You portrayed yourself as too superior to accept lesser positions

HorganIsMyHero wrote:Weird that you would perceive my comments this way when i specifically mentioned volunteering and or interning for no money at all in order to gain experience. People here have a real problem with attacking users who don't follow a rigid life path that emulates exactly what people did 50 years ago.

The topic is unemployment. I'm suggesting some people might be working unpaid jobs in order to get into a paid position that is at least reasonable. In fact, at WorkBC this is exactly what I was told to do. I was told to volunteer in my career path of choice and send out handwritten letters asking to work for free. It's worked amazingly well for me.....oh wait no it hasn't because I'm actually sitting on my *bleep* all day playing video games and collecting cheques. Oh well.

Hardly weird when you factor in that your situation would be the exception to the rule, and most unemployed don't have the luxury of spending all day working for free to network.

I'm fairly certain current qualifications to receive either EI or welfare would also prohibit that approach.

Consider yourself fortunate, as most would have to take that "crappy demeaning job" you speak of.

A little familiarization with just how many people live pay day to pay day might be in order.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

People can volunteer and work for free all they want, but those aren't ingredients to further oneself very far.
Any job that will allow you to volunteer and work for free at won't require much for skill or qualifications, so pretty much any lackey can do it. It is exactly what it is- a job.
Don't expect to get very affluent from it.
Get some post sec ed.
Get some qualification.
Earn a designation.
Realize your potential.

Or, work for free to entice an employer to give you a 15 dollar an hour job that provides a substandard living, and zero security.
But anyone can do that.

Be somebody.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I your 'crap job' is dishwasher...

Be the best dam dishwasher the world has ever known !
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

dirtybiker wrote:I your 'crap job' is dishwasher...

Be the best dam dishwasher the world has ever known !

I'm sorry, why did this topic turn into bashing me?

I mentioned dishwashing because it's a minimum wage job. What I actually said about my definition of a crap job is right here but apparently you never read it and decided to put words in my mouth:

HorganIsMyHero wrote:By crap job, I specifically mean something that pays far below a liveable wage and most likely has few to no regulations for a professional working atmosphere.

Kinda difficult to get an opinion in edge-wise here when the residents would rather throw around absurd personal attacks instead of actually reading what a person has to say and spend half a second trying to comprehend the sentences.

The actual topic is unemployment in Kelowna. People who try untraditional approaches like working for free to get ahead in life might be skewing unemployment numbers.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Bman wrote:Any job that will allow you to volunteer and work for free at won't require much for skill or qualifications

This is completely untrue but you can believe what you want. Accounting and engineering jobs definitely allow people to shadow, intern, and or work for free. It completely depends on the company and employees involved and how much training or schooling the person wanting job experience has.

Do these unemployment statistics take into account people interning or not?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Do you actually think you can get an accounting or engineering degree by shadowing?
C'mon now.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

My kid shadows doctors on her free days.
It won't qualify her for nothing.
Zero.
She needs 3 university degrees to qualify in her field.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Bman wrote:Do you actually think you can get an accounting or engineering degree by shadowing?
C'mon now.

Where did I say this? I have no clue what you're talking about. My posts have been about acquiring a position, not about earning a degree. Try reading please.

Return to “Central Okanagan”