#MenToo

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
zensiert
Board Meister

Re: #MenToo

Post by zensiert »

And then you have this. A teacher forcing students to have sex with her by threatening their grades.

Normally women like her would be let off with a slap on the wrist, assuming this came to the attention of the law at all. At least she is getting some jail time, even if it is a fraction of that which a man would get (a man would probably get a sentence of over a century, with no chance of parole in his lifetime).
I am insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Really? Do you have one example of a male teacher getting a century in prison for having sex with students?

I see sentences of 5-10, even with multiple victims.

"•Male defendants went to prison in 54 percent of cases compared with 44 percent of cases for female defendants;

•Men averaged 2.4 years in prison compared with 1.6 years in prison for women,;

•Ninety-three of the 97 cases ended in plea deals;

•Forty-seven cases ended in noncustodial sentences, which typically involved pre-trial intervention programs or probation."

"Of the 97 cases in the past 10 years, the longest sentence was seven years for a female and 10 for a man, though the male case involved multiple relationships."
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

More victims come to light every day. I am concerned that the public is going to become impervious to the tragedy in each one of these victims lives, many of whom did not survive to tell their story.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/gary-goddar ... 202215425/
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Hey it goes both ways....you cant have a one way street on anything. Just waiting for the day that a guy comes out and takes down a big hollywood actress on abuse...heads will explode.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Symbonite wrote:Hey it goes both ways....you cant have a one way street on anything. Just waiting for the day that a guy comes out and takes down a big hollywood actress on abuse...heads will explode.

Sexism and harassment, like racism is and always will be a one way street.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Symbonite wrote:Hey it goes both ways....you cant have a one way street on anything. Just waiting for the day that a guy comes out and takes down a big hollywood actress on abuse...heads will explode.

Sexism and harassment, like racism is and always will be a one way street.

This is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've read on Castanet. Are you being sarcastic or am I misunderstanding you?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

StraitTalk wrote:
This is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've read on Castanet. Are you being sarcastic or am I misunderstanding you?

You should read this thread from the beginning, pay in particular attention to how Jonrox has tried to downplay the fact that men are harassed, objectified, abused, etc. as well.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

StraitTalk wrote:

Dizzy1 wrote:You should read this thread from the beginning, pay in particular attention to how Jonrox has tried to downplay the fact that men are harassed, objectified, abused, etc. as well.

You've found one guy who thinks it's not so bad for guys as for women and then come to generalization "Sexism and harassment, like racism is and always will be a one way street."

We know perfectly well many men are also harrassed, abused, sexually, and we know the vast majority are not reporting, and run into the same stonewall that women have in reporting, but you want confirmation that most people really think guys don't have it all that bad. Here we have a spot for any guys to comment on abuse against men, if they choose or for people to discuss the problem, but instead you are declaring that sexism is a one-way street.

Jonrox is one person on this thread, and who knows, may even have a different view after he has read some of the experiences of other men. I myself thought that the harassment of women was not that widespread at first, until all these women have been reporting, and other women on the MeToo thread said, yes it really is a common problem for lots of women. So I don't think sweeping generalizations can be drawn. we await more men coming forward to tell their stories until people get it. I think it is rather like the atrocities against the First Nations, I don't think anyone realized how widespread it was until finally after all these years, we hear the actual horrific stories coming out. How else are we to learn, or understand , or make changes for the better?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Keep wishing some rich old bird wants to sexually abuse me :D
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Silverstarqueen wrote:You've found one guy who thinks it's not so bad for guys as for women and then come to generalization "Sexism and harassment, like racism is and always will be a one way street."

Yes, I'm basing my view because of what one person in this thread said. Come on, we're smarter than that. The double standard and hypocrisy when it comes to abuse/harassment/objectification is obvious ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... ef30d73565

Silverstarqueen wrote:How else are we to learn, or understand , or make changes for the better?

My honest opinion? Stop segregating. Stop dividing the issue into sexes. Harassment/abuse/objectification is a problem, just as is racism - but the more and more we keep dividing the problem into sexes or races the farther and farther we get from reaching the goal because we focus on squabbling who its happening to instead of how we can deal with it. And until we admit that women are just as capable and guilty of abuse/harassment/objectification (numbers are irrelevant) and start tackling that on a social level, we can't focus on the actual issue.

I hope that makes somewhat sense, writing while nodding off is never a good thing lol

Treat abuse/harassment for what it is - regardless of who it happens to. Deal with the issue, not the sex.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Treat abuse/harassment for what it is - regardless of who it happens to. Deal with the issue, not the sex.

This a million times. Ever since Black Lives Matters started interrupting and protesting gay pride parades because "their cause is more important" I've realised that these movements are full of hypocrites who are selfish under the guise of equality.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

and that's the truth
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Yes, women abuse too, it's not a matter of which sex, that has been said often. Commented on TV, said in many discussions. Gone are the days when people presume that apparently nice, respected leader in our community can't possibly be abusers. Gone are the days when people can presume that men are not abused, by other men, and by women.

But there are still a few outlyers shouting in the wind," but it's more men", or" it's more women", because they haven't got the memo yet. We don't know the exact numbers. We certainly seem to be hearing from more women, but the men are reporting their experiences more now too. So great, and what are we doing about it? Hopefully actually writing it in to appropriate codes of behavior for workplaces, schools, colleges, or where-ever. Hopefully people are going to think a bit about how they impose on others, oblivious it seems to the effect on their victims. Hopefully the abusers will stop, or the powers that be will stop them if they won't do it voluntarily. Hopefully they will start by admitting their wrong doing and apologizing and atoning, at the very least (since prosecution seems to be a bridge too far for our society right now in many cases).
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

the truth wrote:i think this belongs here for sure https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#213700

It seems this is going to impact men too, that their social and workplace options might be limited if Women are reluctant to work alone with them, go on business trips with a male in training, or even socialize with them. I suppose it's going to change a lot of interactions for a lot of people. The last thing any employer, politician, coach, or coworker would want is to be accused of impropriety which could ruin their business or career. So a lot of missed opportunities possibly for male employees or students, or athletes, too.

Return to “Social Concerns”