Teaching the Residential School Story

Teaching the Residential School Story

Postby Ken7 » Dec 8th, 2017, 7:07 pm

https://wm-so.glb.shawcable.net/service ... 008&part=2

And the IRS story entering classrooms is not accurate at all.
Take,
for example, the now very well
-
known story of Chanie (Charlie) Wenjack. He was the unhappy
Indigenous boy who supposedly ran away from the Residential School he was attending after suffering
physical and sexual abuse from Roman Catholic priests and nuns.
This version of the Chanie story is the subject
of a popular song, and appears as well in several books, CBC videos, and numerous articles. His story is very
moving, and increasingly our nation’s children accept it as fact.

Read on interesting.....
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 2437 posts

Re: Teaching the Residential School Story

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 8th, 2017, 8:31 pm

Introduction
The Stranger
Swing Set
Seven Matches
I Will Not Be Struck
Son
The Secret Path
Don't Let This Touch You
Haunt Them, Haunt Them, Haunt Them
The Only Place To Be
Here, Here and Here
Panel Discussion
The Secret Path:
Gord Downie - Vocals, Guitars
All other instrumentation by Kevin Drew and Dave Hamelin
Charles Spearin - Bass
Ohad Benchetrit - Lap Steel and Additional Guitar
Kevin Hearn - Additional Keys
Dave "Billy Ray" Koster - Drums
Engineered by Nyles Spencer
Mastered by Eric Boulanger
Arts and Crafts
Secret Path Graphic Novel By Jeff Lemire
STATEMENT BY GORD DOWNIE
Ogoki Post, Ontario
September 9, 2016

Mike Downie introduced me to Chanie Wenjack; he gave me the story from Ian Adam’s Maclean’s magazine story dating back to February 6, 1967, “The Lonely Death of Charlie Wenjack.”

Chanie was a young boy who died on October 22, 1966, walking the railroad tracks, trying to escape from the Cecilia Jeffrey Indian Residential School to walk home. Chanie’s home was 400 miles away. He didn’t know that. He didn’t know where it was, nor know how to find it, but, like so many kids - more than anyone will be able to imagine - he tried. I never knew Chanie, the child his teachers misnamed Charlie, but I will always love him.

http://secretpath.ca/

Its easy for you to call gord downie a liar after hes dead but rest of us know the truth :smt045
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2667 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 8th, 2017, 8:37 pm

The term residential schools refers to an extensive school system set up by the Canadian government and administered by churches that had the nominal objective of educating Aboriginal children but also the more damaging and equally explicit objectives of indoctrinating them into Euro-Canadian and Christian ways of living and assimilating them into mainstream Canadian society. The residential school system operated from the 1880s into the closing decades of the 20th century. The system forcibly separated children from their families for extended periods of time and forbade them to acknowledge their Aboriginal heritage and culture or to speak their own languages. Children were severely punished if these, among other, strict rules were broken. Former students of residential schools have spoken of horrendous abuse at the hands of residential school staff: physical, sexual, emotional, and psychological. Residential schools provided Aboriginal students with an inferior education, often only up to grade five, that focused on training students for manual labour in agriculture, light industry such as woodworking, and domestic work such as laundry work and sewing.

http://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.c ... ol_system/

Between 1831 and 1996, residential schools operated in Canada through arrangements between the Government of Canada and the church. One common objective defined this period — the assimilation of Aboriginal children.

This site is a counterpart to Where are the Children? Healing the Legacy of the Residential Schools, a touring exhibition that explores the history and legacy of Canada’s Residential School System through Survivor stories, archival photographs, and documents, curated by Iroquois artist Jeff Thomas.

http://wherearethechildren.ca/en/

For those who want to learn of canadas true dark and shameful period in which. Today is being taught. Because it doesnt get better until canada,looks at itself in a honest a truthfull way
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Postby Ken7 » Dec 9th, 2017, 10:53 am

maryjane48 wrote:http://secretpath.ca/

Its easy for you to call gord downie a liar after hes dead but rest of us know the truth :smt045

Once again, you are trying to create a argument, no one is suggesting Gord Downing is lying he was a great rock singer-songwriter, musician, writer and activist. Are you aware Gord did not know this boy, as at the time of his death Gord was two years old.

That brings me to ask, where did Gord get his story? He wrote a song and stories as many do, some real some just the way the writer feels about a thought or a third party story which is it true or just a story. Was he just taking what he wanted from a story someone wrote in the 1967 Mcleans which was someone's interpretation of a News Paper Article? Was the article a first hand encounter from those who knew Charlie Wenjack, and was it only their belief as to what happened?

Sadly Charlie dies and no-one may truly have known what was he doing or where he was really going. How do we know what this boy was doing?

As most all the stories we read, some tend to draw the negative out of what may have been very positive for many. We don't sit and speak of the Hockey school, where 8 of the players gained so very much from and were successful in life. If you took the time to read it, they became leaders in their own communities and became Leaders and Chiefs. You made no comment of that accomplishment I see.

I could draw from my post about the negativity also, but what does this do? It becomes a play park game which I don't care to entertain.

It appears some on this forum tend to try and start battles, the battles which the intelligent educated Indiginous are trying to move past and grow and learn from.

It is ironic I posted a link to a Police post where as trained Police Negotiator it ended very successfully in my opinion. Why no shots were fired, no one injured be civilian or Police Officer. Further the accused likely will be offered the help he needs to recover from his issues. Over 200 hundred reads to date.

It is funny there is no comments. Now if that was a post where Police shot the victim in standoff, there would be months of comments all to the negative.

Have a good day....
Ken7
Guru

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 9th, 2017, 11:30 am

Your trying to put forth the narritive in disigenous way that in some universe residential schools where somehow good for first nations and that somehow the idea folks have now is wrong

Now to be clesr there are some that went attended these horror svhools never got abused. And went on to lead normal lives but thats. Not true for the majority nor does it speak to the primary aim of what the schools main focus of .

My real point is this .it is okay and actualy good for canadians to self reflect and admit we did a bad thing and we can learn from it .its called healing .and until that happens the discussion is not over
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 9th, 2017, 5:34 pm

I went to a place much like the residential schools . 2 years i was there. It was called saint johns school of alberta. It was a horrible place. I feel for the poor native kids who were taken from loving homes .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2224 posts

Postby Ken7 » Dec 11th, 2017, 6:08 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:I went to a place much like the residential schools . 2 years i was there. It was called saint johns school of alberta. It was a horrible place. I feel for the poor native kids who were taken from loving homes .

Very interesting, not sure if you would share why you were sent to St.John's. I'd like to hear your story. I went to school and had others who attended residential school where I grew up. Not St.John's.
Ken7
Guru

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 11th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Ken7 wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:I went to a place much like the residential schools . 2 years i was there. It was called saint johns school of alberta. It was a horrible place. I feel for the poor native kids who were taken from loving homes .

Very interesting, not sure if you would share why you were sent to St.John's. I'd like to hear your story. I went to school and had others who attended residential school where I grew up. Not St.John's.

My dad was a wealthy guy who thought kids should be seen and not heard. So i got sent away at the first signs of trouble. Things really went south after that.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board

Postby Ken7 » Dec 11th, 2017, 7:07 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:
Ken7 wrote:
My dad was a wealthy guy who thought kids should be seen and not heard. So i got sent away at the first signs of trouble. Things really went south after that.

Interesting short story, I've heard of others who have been hauled off to private schools in cases like yours. Thanks, I did actually search St.John's school before asking what's up.

Later

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Ken7
Guru

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 11th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Interesting short story, I've heard of others who have been hauled off to private schools in cases like yours. Thanks, I did actually search St.John's school before asking what's up.

Later[/quote]

That was a tough place to spend grade 7 and 8. Was really happy when they kicked me out. Never did patch things up with the old man. Just tgis easter i went and spoke to him for first time in over 10 years. He didnt even recognize me. Felt good to be the bigger man

2 people like this post.
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 15th, 2017, 8:46 pm

The Residential School story is both tragic and a stain on Canada's history... well not quite history yet.

It is of no comfort to see that organizations involved are very much the same as in this tragic history from another country:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-14/the-messages-to-australia-from-the-sexual-abuse-royal-commission/9258764

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-16/tom-keneally-royal-commission-the-abused-are-many/9263368

In the above case, the abuse and destruction of children was across all cultures and races.

It seems though, the perpetrators and enablers were the same.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 7959 posts

Return to Canada