What's with all the morons parking in Handicap spots ?

Home of the traffic rant.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: What's with all the morons parking in Handicap spots ?

Post by Fancy »

Tootsie wrote:My mom is old. Really old. Over 90. When I take her shopping we need that parking spot.

Obviously there's more than a few people who can't see the big picture and don't understand.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

obviously theres more than a few who are handicapped from the neck up to
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I drove my grandmother to the store for years and dropped her off out front and then parked my vehicle ya know why because she insisted on leaving that spot free for someone who actually needed it,she would tell me that I'm capable of walking and don't need to leave my vehicle there even tho she wasn't capable of walking very far
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

LTD wrote:oh I am well aware of that thanks however if you don't drive you wont have one and don't need one most people have the intelligence to drop someone off and park their vehicle instead of parking in a spot they don't need which really makes you no better than someone else parking there.

My very elderly mother has a handicap pass. However when ever it is possible, I park in a spot other than one designated handicap when I take her to appointments or shopping. Sometimes I can drop her near the entrance and then park, but most times I need to assist her to prevent a fall. (Sometimes there is a bench I can help her to where she can wait while I park the car if there is no handicap or other parking spot near by.) We use a handicap parking spot at times when there is no open parking spot near the entrance. She cannot walk far, sometimes has balance issues and sometimes physical pain. The pass is only used when she is in the vehicle with me and conducting her business. She carries it in her handbag and if she travels with another family member, they use it in similar fashion. To say she doesn't need it unless she is driving the vehicle, is ridiculous.
By your way of thinking, a taxi with handicap designation, a parent with a child in a wheelchair, Handi-dart and senior centre vehicles should not be able to park in a designated handicap spot.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

not true my way of thinking is that 99% of people that are parking in those spots while driving someone else are being plain old lazy and parking there because they can sorry if my thinking offends you but people parking there who don't need to offend me
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

LTD wrote:not true my way of thinking is that 99% of people that are parking in those spots while driving someone else are being plain old lazy and parking there because they can sorry if my thinking offends you but people parking there who don't need to offend me

But this isn't about those that don't need the spot - it's about those that do - maybe reread the thread again.
I would have used it for my grandmother - she wasn't able to walk very well but still wanted to get out. It's not about being lazy - it's actually being considerate for someone elderly that needs the care.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

maybe you should if youre capable of getting around just fine youre no different than hummer guy parking at Costco. I once watched a guy drop off an elderly fellow at a store entrance then go park in a handicap spot run across to the entrance and head inside cant really see how he needed that spot but hey its allowed right
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Dec 9th, 2017, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack removed.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

LTD wrote:maybe you should if youre capable of getting around just fine youre no different than hummer guy parking at Costco. I once watched a guy drop off an elderly fellow at a store entrance then go park in a handicap spot run across to the entrance and head inside cant really see how he needed that spot but hey its allowed right

I am well aware of the topic. I'm capable of getting around but not some seniors I know. The "hummer guy" was within his right as he couldn't leave the elderly man in the vehicle while doing the shopping for him. The elderly man now can walk back to the vehicle. As I said I wouldn't do that so another reason for you to reread this thread.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There are lots of people with hidden handicaps that use these parking spots. It is sometimes difficult to tell but at least they have a handicapped sign and legally can park there.

Do some abuse the privilege...most definitely, but it's the ones who feel so entitled that they park and just don't care they could be causing difficulty for someone who really needs the spot.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LTD wrote:maybe you should if youre capable of getting around just fine youre no different than hummer guy parking at Costco. I once watched a guy drop off an elderly fellow at a store entrance then go park in a handicap spot run across to the entrance and head inside cant really see how he needed that spot but hey its allowed right

Well maybe the person dropped off has Dementia or Alzheimer's and can't be left alone too long.
There are lots of reasons this could be a legitimate use of the Handicap Pass.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Knock it off LTD. You don't know my mom's situation nor others.

For one thing there is NO BUS SERVICE where she lives. And don't even start about Handy Dart - THAT she would leave for someone who truly has nobody to help them. She has me.

If it says Handicapped Parking then don't park there if you don't have a permit. Plain and simple. Shouldn't be hard to grasp that concept.

The signs are there for a reason. Like it or not.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Tootsie wrote:Knock it off LTD. You don't know my mom's situation nor others.

For one thing there is NO BUS SERVICE where she lives. And don't even start about Handy Dart - THAT she would leave for someone who truly has nobody to help them. She has me.

If it says Handicapped Parking then don't park there if you don't have a permit. Plain and simple. Shouldn't be hard to grasp that concept.

The signs are there for a reason. Like it or not.

And the reason you've given is a very valid one in my opinion.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
northglenmore2012
Fledgling

Post by northglenmore2012 »

I agree with handicap parking and people that don't have a pass should be fined heavily. That being said, how is it if you park in a handicap parking spot (with a valid pass) you can park there all day and most of the night. For example, there is a business on Bernard avenue where the owner has a valid pass and parks his truck in the spot all day. He uses the spot for his personal parking spot and of course its FREE. I would suggest that handicap parking spots should be free of course but they should have a time limit, like 2 hours and should be ticketed like anybody else. I think its not fair to other handicap drivers as there is a small number of spots in that area.The fellow seems to have no problem packing in huge boxes of vegetables and supplies. hmmmmmm.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Start carrying plastic "zap straps" and then zip tie something to their handle like a shopping cart.

That'll learn them!

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”