Confused......

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Confused......

Post by binky11 »

My mom and I both have our laptops hooked up to the tv via HDMI. Whether she is watching something from her tv or the laptop, the sounds still comes from the TV speakers. When I listen to something from the laptop, the sound only comes from the laptop speakers, which is awful. What I am doing wrong? Senior gal here, please speak layman terms Lol.
spooker

Re: Confused......

Post by spooker »

What operating system? (windows, mac etc)

Typically you can set the "output" for the sound coming from your computer, in this case it sounds like the default for hers is the HDMI cable and yours is the built-in speakers ...

If you're on Windows there is usually a speaker icon in the lower right-hand corner (system tray) that you can right-click on and open an options dialog that should include where the output is going ...

If you're on a Mac it's under the Sound preferences acccessed under the "apple" to the left of the menu bar under "System Preferences"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Move your mouse to the lower right corner and right click on the sound icon.
Make sure your Laptop is connected to the TV when you do that.
You should be able to set the sound from there.

If you still have trouble then google is your friend for this kind of stuff and sometimes explains it much clearer.
Last edited by Bsuds on Dec 10th, 2017, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

You may need to change the default playback device in the Sound panel (via Control Panel, or the sound icon Bsuds mentions above, which I don't have) every time you plug in your laptop (then change it back after unplugging, too); here's mine:

When I use my TV (a Samsung), I highlight "Samsung-4", press "Set Default", then "Apply".

Everyone's setup is different though. Good luck. :up:
Your bias suits you.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I am using Windows 8. Will attach a couple of pics. Tv is Samsung, laptop is toshiba. Don't seem to have choices but one under playback. I think something is just plain wrong here somewhere alone the way. Again, my mom has her headphones plugged in the back of her tv, works whether she watches via cable or internet. Me, I have to switch the headphone jack to tv for tv, and then switch back to the laptop headphone jack for Internet. I sure have been having issues since I switched to this tv and laptop.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Oh, I am doing this is in a bit of a rush, didn't check picture quality first, not very good. If better pics needed I can retake.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

What application are you using to watch the movies? Often the application will allow you to pick the audio device rather than trying to change the default audio device in the operating system. This usually works better.

If you don't have it already - I recommend downloading and using VLC media player. VLC allows you to choose your audio device...
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

I actually do use VLC. I usually watch all my shows and movies via the application called graboid. I even have two options from their site, the external player is best but I don't get any audio so I have to use their other option which they call graboid friendly player. But I don't like it. I will check VLC tonight and play around with that. Thanks. And yes maryjane I have googled it but I don't understand half their tech talk and have tried some of their suggestions, with no success. I still keep thinking something is just not set right or hooked up right as this is just one of several issues since changing my tv and laptop. It's matter of finding out what's wrong that's driving me cuckoo.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

When you right click on the speaker icon, bottom right corner of your desktop, and choose playback, what choices do you have... headphones, speakers, etc.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

When I click on the speaker icon, it shows only one option which is speaker properties. When I click on that, under controller information, it says Realtek high definition audio. When I click on the speaker icon it says mixer underneath that, when I click on that, it brings up device/ speakers and another option applications/ system sounds. When I click on applications, under the playback tab, there is only one option. Says speakers,Realtek high definition audio with a green check mark saying default device. Hope I explained that correctly. Now this might change tomorrow when I hook up computer speakers to the laptop. I want to be able to listen to music but not through the laptop speakers aghh! But I am still thinking I should be able to get sound from tv speakers when I listen to anything via the laptop HDMI.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

binky11 wrote:When I click on the speaker icon, it shows only one option which is speaker properties. When I click on that, under controller information, it says Realtek high definition audio. When I click on the speaker icon it says mixer underneath that, when I click on that, it brings up device/ speakers and another option applications/ system sounds. When I click on applications, under the playback tab, there is only one option. Says speakers,Realtek high definition audio with a green check mark saying default device. Hope I explained that correctly. Now this might change tomorrow when I hook up computer speakers to the laptop. I want to be able to listen to music but not through the laptop speakers aghh! But I am still thinking I should be able to get sound from tv speakers when I listen to anything via the laptop HDMI.

If you dont get the option for hdmi device you might need update drives .i use. Google chrome cast no wires needed. :130:
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

when you say "listen to your tv speakers", is the tv hooked up to external speakers of some sort...or are you listening to the tv internal speakers?

what does your mom's laptop show when you right click on the speaker icon which is in the lower right corner, by the clock.

kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

This video just says to restart the computer while attached to the tv...she got sound through the tv that way...

On the right side of that screen, there are other video describing the same thing...maybe watch and you will find an answer if the above doesnt work ;)
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

kelownman wrote:when you say "listen to your tv speakers", is the tv hooked up to external speakers of some sort...or are you listening to the tv internal speakers?

what does your mom's laptop show when you right click on the speaker icon which is in the lower right corner, by the clock.

When I go to playback, it doesn't show an option for my Samsung tv, just Realtek. I don't have any other options.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”