Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Post by mexi cali »

At the end of the day, perception is reality. My examples using my kids was simply that; my examples of MY kids. All of them millennials.

That example has zero to do with what any other person of the M ilk (not milk) is or has experienced.

Every generation had its share of trials and tribulations and they were meaningful and impactful to those experiencing them at the time.

I guess I am wondering why there is so much emphasis being palced on one-upmanship?

Every generation will produce a crop of "successful contributors" as well as a healthy dose of takers and blame shifters. That is the balance for now and forever.

I don't like hearing from the group today that expend effort on trying to convince everyone else that they have it harder than the previous group or groups just like I don't like listening to the pervious gens biitching and moaning about how useless the now gens are.

Bottom line is; those who want to succeed and have all of the material possessions they desire will and those who have realized that there is actual work involved in acquiring those things, won't.

Just like every other time in history.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

"HorganIsMyHero"

I don't think bitterness can be determined by a sarcastic response to some braggy story about growing up half blind, not going to school, and being clothed in a sack. If this crazy story is even remotely true, you grew up in some destitute village outside of Canada that was probably plagued with National Geographic employees trying to do exposes on the blind sack-clothed kids working 100-hour weeks to be financial successes. Hence, it's not relevant to millennials, nor is it relevant to charitable donations (unless you're saying your clothing sacks were donated?) nor is it relevant to really anything at all.
About the actual topic, charitable donations, I'd like to see how many millennials donate things like magazines or old technology to places like KGH. I know I've given iPods to care homes so some of the residents can enjoy music. I think it was grandan who said a donation doesn't have to involve the transfer of money.
HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Grandan wrote:The story of using flour sacks for clothing is true. I heard it from my wife and I believe her. It illustrates the dire circumstances her family was in when she was a child. Flour sacks in her case were used for underwear because it was softer than gunny sacks.
There were no food banks and going to school hungry was constant. Despite her harsh upbringing she went on to be a registered nurse, returning to school late in life. So when I hear about how hard millennials have it in life I feel very little compassion.

I don't think you should be giving away the professions of others, but have you never talked to anyone outside of your own age group in years? To say, "well this boomer here allegedly had to wear flour-sack underwear so therefore I have little compassion for millennials" is such weird and biased thinking that it comes across as a joke.

Try talking to people from different generations, tons of people have stories of terrible upbringings or struggling as young adults.

I have 4 children who bridge the pre and post millennial time period. I talk to my children and their friends.
We have friends with kids who are similar age and we talk about it. We all have good example to illustrate the problem
I witness the trials and tribulations of their age group.
I see millennials struggle. They were dealt a bad hand. Their parents catered to them, propped them up, helped dust them off and made sure they had the very best in life.
They had their educations paid for, given a car and spending money. Now they expect that they should land in a brand new house on the hill because it was "easy" for the boomers to buy a house.
There is no end of how easy millennials want to have it. It's all about them and their pleasures. They can't wait to get their hands on their parent's money and show them how to really spend.
If millennials actually put in an effort to make things happen I would be impressed, instead it is a case of stand back and let someone else do it. All talk and no action. No appreciation for those who paved the way for them, just criticism for what they didn't get.
What is relevant is millennials inability to succeed in life hampered by an inability to sacrifice anything until they face the stark reality of homelessness.
Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Waste not
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Grandan wrote:There is no end of how easy millennials want to have it. It's all about them and their pleasures.

You should really repeat these venomous words to the millennials who donate their time to KGH. There are people of all generations helping there, but definitely lots of millennials putting in the time to help others.

This is but one example that proves your bias wrong but you're too comfortable in your millennial bashing mindset to want to have an actual discussion. I suppose the volunteering millennials aren't wearing flour-sack underwear so they don't get life. They just don't.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

MAPearce wrote:Millennials are lazy sacks... I know .

I have TWO. They want "mall munney" but can't wipe their own *bleep* to get it never mind mind taking out a small bag of trash or the recycling ...

If it weren't for them asshat *bleep* at MCFD , I'd let them go to school dirty... But that's a no no....

Millennials are lazy , I wouldn't expect them to donate anything to anyone ...

Too much work for them .

I blame the leader, that being you - dad.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Grandan wrote:There is no end of how easy millennials want to have it. It's all about them and their pleasures.

HorganIsMyHero wrote:You should really repeat these venomous words to the millennials who donate their time to KGH. There are people of all generations helping there, but definitely lots of millennials putting in the time to help others.

This is but one example that proves your bias wrong but you're too comfortable in your millennial bashing mindset to want to have an actual discussion. I suppose the volunteering millennials aren't wearing flour-sack underwear so they don't get life. They just don't.

Mostly I see white haired boomers doing the volunteering not millennials.
I applaud any millennial who does volunteer, good on ya'. Your parents raised you well.
Waste not
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

My seems to be a lot of hating on Millenials.
I know several, majority just like I was their age - working hard, chasing dreams, planning their future.
Last edited by normaM on Dec 12th, 2017, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

normaM wrote:My seems to be a lot of hating on Millenials.
I know several, majority just like I was there age - working hard, chasing dreams, planning their future.

Im a millenial. I hate millenials. :up:
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Grandan wrote:Mostly I see white haired boomers doing the volunteering not millennials.
I applaud any millennial who does volunteer, good on ya'. Your parents raised you well.

It depends on the day and time of day one goes to a hospital or some other place. Thanks for actually acknowledging some millennials care about other and donate their time. Maybe also consider millennials might not feel like donating to charities that hold outdated discriminatory views or ones full of baby boomers who illogically spend their days talking about how millennial are the scum of the earth.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Jflem1983----- WWGB do? lol
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Queen K wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "start at the top" because even downtown shack untouched by real reno's, wiring, insulation, new walls, etc. are still $500K, I could see your point if they were $300K.

It does not seem that high prices of homes are slowing down the millennials at all or that they are somehow disadvantaged.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#213821
The British Columbia Real Estate Association says a strong economy has pushed up demand and prices for housing in the province compared with last year.

The association's latest report says 7,731 sales were recorded by the Multiple Listing Service in November, a 20.4 per cent increase from November 2016.

The average price was $723,112, up 15.5 per cent from the same period last year.

Association chief economist Cameron Muir says demand for houses is being supported by a large number of millennials entering the market and some buyers completing purchases in advance of tighter mortgage rules in the new year.
Waste not
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Grandan wrote:The average price was $723,112, up 15.5 per cent from the same period last year.

Average family (before tax) income today $76,000.

Average cost of home in 1984 $76,214
Average family after-tax income in 1984 was $48,500

Really no one here sees the :cuss: issue?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/2012-vs-1984-young-adults-really-do-have-it-harder-today/article4105604/
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Sparki55 wrote: Really no one here sees the :cuss: issue?

You bet there’s an issue. And while this 60+ year old will acknowledge it is indeed a great deal tougher now for young people to get ahead, stagnant wages, increased costs and the growing income gap affects everyone. One of these days we have to stop collectively making excuses for why this systemic inequality is acceptable. As discouraged as the millennials might be with the socioeconomic and political system we have left them, it is my hope they will ultimately decide not to settle, become more politically involved and perhaps even see themselves as the impetus for momentous change.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Sparki55 wrote:
Grandan wrote:The average price was $723,112, up 15.5 per cent from the same period last year.

Average family (before tax) income today $76,000.

Average cost of home in 1984 $76,214
Average family after-tax income in 1984 was $48,500

Really no one here sees the :cuss: issue?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/2012-vs-1984-young-adults-really-do-have-it-harder-today/article4105604/

Interest rates were in the mid 13's as I recall in '84. While that doesn’t even things up, it is a big change.
You and 71 others Like this post
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ka-El wrote:
Sparki55 wrote: Really no one here sees the :cuss: issue?

You bet there’s an issue. And while this 60+ year old will acknowledge it is indeed a great deal tougher now for young people to get ahead, stagnant wages, increased costs and the growing income gap affects everyone. One of these days we have to stop collectively making excuses for why this systemic inequality is acceptable. As discouraged as the millennials might be with the socioeconomic and political system we have left them, it is my hope they will ultimately decide not to settle, become more politically involved and perhaps even see themselves as the impetus for momentous change.

The problem is progressives. They have made us a soft generation . Need to get back to farm life early morning chores. Then there will be a future. City life is pointless meaninglesa existence
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Return to “Social Concerns”