Kelowna violent crime

CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Kelowna violent crime

Post by CapitalB »

lightspeed wrote:
MrBrocksEgo wrote:Who said anything about giving them a job. I was suggesting giving them a universal basic income and seeing if they imploded or floated

This is not Sweden.

Nope its Canada, we're testing that and its apparetly going thorough in Quebec
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Well, we that it's called welfare.

MrBrocksEgo wrote:Thats not the same thing. Welfare isn't a livable amount even if you don't do crack its barely enough for the cheapest rental unit, with maybe a small amount left over for whatever. I've spoken with welfare crackheads before, they basically use their welfare check as a monthly investment in the crack stock market.

I'm suggesting that giving them such a small amount almost enables their lifestyle. Welfare gives them enough for crack and nothing else, if say they (and other non crack users) were given enough for the necessities of left with a slim comfort zone on top. Which for the general crack user would hopefully be enough for crack and a normal living situation.

On paper this would result in less crime by them being able to ruin their lives on government money.

Also before the cries of "but mah tax money!" get to crazy: These people are already a burden on our tax dollars, keeping someone in prison costs around $100k a year and when they get out they basically just go back in because they have no value as an ex con. Any way you spin it just giving ~$20k (which is a way high amount) a year would cost less than that.

I have absolutely no problem giving those with a disability a living base wage, I would encourage the Government to do this.

Able body people need to find a job or go back to school & improve themselves, just giving out a living wage to anyone would just encourage what we already have just more so... more lazy people having nothing better to do then drink or take drugs.
Absolutely no incentive to do better for themselves
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

GordonH wrote:
GordonH wrote:Well, we that it's called welfare.

MrBrocksEgo wrote:Thats not the same thing. Welfare isn't a livable amount even if you don't do crack its barely enough for the cheapest rental unit, with maybe a small amount left over for whatever. I've spoken with welfare crackheads before, they basically use their welfare check as a monthly investment in the crack stock market.

I'm suggesting that giving them such a small amount almost enables their lifestyle. Welfare gives them enough for crack and nothing else, if say they (and other non crack users) were given enough for the necessities of left with a slim comfort zone on top. Which for the general crack user would hopefully be enough for crack and a normal living situation.

On paper this would result in less crime by them being able to ruin their lives on government money.

Also before the cries of "but mah tax money!" get to crazy: These people are already a burden on our tax dollars, keeping someone in prison costs around $100k a year and when they get out they basically just go back in because they have no value as an ex con. Any way you spin it just giving ~$20k (which is a way high amount) a year would cost less than that.

I have absolutely no problem giving those with a disability a living base wage, I would encourage the Government to do this.

Able body people need to find a job or go back to school & improve themselves, just giving out a living wage to anyone would just encourage what we already have just more so... more lazy people having nothing better to do then drink or take drugs.
Absolutely so incentive to do better for themselves

I feel like bettering yourself is enough incentive for most. The people that are going to waste away their lives on drugs or alcohol or whatever are going to do that regardless. We're spending money on them one way or another. Jail, social services, healthcare, out reach programs. We're already spending the money why not streamline the whole thing into one system that doesn't discriminate beyond enabling people to eat and sleep in a place?
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:I feel like bettering yourself is enough incentive for most. The people that are going to waste away their lives on drugs or alcohol or whatever are going to do that regardless. We're spending money on them one way or another. Jail, social services, healthcare, out reach programs. We're already spending the money why not streamline the whole thing into one system that doesn't discriminate beyond enabling people to eat and sleep in a place?

Everyone has that choice (what I underlined), what causes the difference between those who actual do & those who don't. Is just plain laziness. Everyone wants the benefits of bettering themselves, many don't want to do the work it takes to do so (hence LAZY).
Latter would be very eager to get a living wage i.e money for doing nothing.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

I sure hope the gun used at Subway was registered! :biggrin:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#213737
Last edited by ferri on Dec 11th, 2017, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link added
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

[qute="MrBrocksEgo"]
Bman wrote:
MrBrocksEgo wrote:But then we're just throwing money away locking people up for decades. What if we could spend the same amount or less on finding ways for them to live without being shady pieces of human waste?

I'm sure Corcan will have them pay their way by keeping them busy making mdf furniture .
Corcan is getting pretty profitable.

That always just feels like slavery to me though. I mean sure they're technically prisoners with jobs, but when you get down to it whats the difference there.[/quote]

the more money you give them the more drugs they will buy,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

the truth wrote:[qute="MrBrocksEgo"]

That always just feels like slavery to me though. I mean sure they're technically prisoners with jobs, but when you get down to it whats the difference there.

the more money you give them the more drugs they will buy,[/quote]

Then just set up the government to sell all the drugs and we have a perfect system.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Since his face is clearly visible should be easy enuff to ID
I remember when the TD bank was robbed, getaway bike
Then the guy returned
so the bank hired a security guard. I guess so he could yell stop or I'll toss my key ring at you.
I mean, how much money could a Subway have? Watch over $5000
Why do some think he is an addict? Perhaps he just wanted to see the Joy on his children's face Christmas morn when they realize Santa visited.
Funnier he didn't demand a sub to go
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

With such a nice photo of him I bet the offender is quickly apprehended, I also bet he's so stupid he doesn't even know yet that he's going to jail.
Too bad ya just can't shoot these idiots in the back on their way out the door.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Baby it's gettin' cold outside..

Remanded in custody, a nice onesy to wear, 3 squares a day, a well equipped gym
and workshop. smokes, tv, library...
A new boyfriend....ahhh... a nice winter vacay....
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

its called doing time in canada, you forgot, all the meds to get high they want
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:

Thats not the same thing. Welfare isn't a livable amount even if you don't do crack its barely enough for the cheapest rental unit, with maybe a small amount left over for whatever. I've spoken with welfare crackheads before, they basically use their welfare check as a monthly investment in the crack stock market.

or we could give them nothing and they can F off
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

That is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard . Give them more . If you gave them more they could get an even better crappy drug dealer car like a white chrysler 300 and rob peoples garages . More doesnt make them not lie to their children and family any less. They will just buy more smokes and treat their buddies to beer and pizza because they were always the leach. I avoid people like that, like the plague.
Strong and free
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

the truth wrote:[qute="MrBrocksEgo"]
Bman wrote:But then we're just throwing money away locking people up for decades. What if we could spend the same amount or less on finding ways for them to live without being shady pieces of human waste?

I'm sure Corcan will have them pay their way by keeping them busy making mdf furniture .
Corcan is getting pretty profitable.

That always just feels like slavery to me though. I mean sure they're technically prisoners with jobs, but when you get down to it whats the difference there.[/quote]

the more money you give them the more drugs they will buy,[quote]

Isn't this just reducing wages and taking jobs away from the average person? Its welfare in another form. At the end of the day society will have many different types of people, simple solutions will not work because the problems are so complex.

In major cities they are trying to use proper therapists to help those who are addicted/homeless/robbers and seen some good results. I remember reading a report from Mississauga where the cost to the City was reduced by 32% since they did not need to throw someone in jail or feed them on the street in the long term. In the short term it was more difficult because they needed housing, food, and regular visit's with the therapists.

Also, I realise this will not work for everyone, but for every 2 or 3 that it works for, you see significant savings.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#213390
I wonder if this is the guy who robbed that subway store.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Central Okanagan”