Sustainable Taxes?

bob57

Sustainable Taxes?

Post by bob57 »

The plight of those residents who live in this most attractive area of Canada hinges on the affordability to do so.The guarantee paralleling habitation is of course... taxation. As governments have no money of their own, and rely on taxpayers for the source to pay for operating the city,it is guaranteed that increased taxation is the norm. Sustainable living is possible only when taxpayers have the resources(capital) to give towards the increases. When we make more than we pay out it is balanced. However,at what point will we say enough? Will it ever get to that point? How much will the average citizen need to earn in order to uphold the standard of living we enjoy to date? Existence is becoming more and more like a dynamo. Once it reaches a certain point it is almost impossible to stop.
spooker

Re: Sustainable Taxes?

Post by spooker »

Considering we're in the top 100 of municipalities for lowest taxation I'd say we have some room to go ... if we could make good choices to reduce demands in the infrastructure we could extend that timeline ... unfortunately I don't think there are enough people who are willing to think about society instead of themselves and we'll just keep wanted to keep the status quo, increasing the demands on our aging city ...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

well good for you if youre happy being bent over every year I however am not
spooker

Post by spooker »

LTD wrote:well good for you if youre happy being bent over every year I however am not

Easy solution if you're not happy ... move somewhere else ... odds are 3 out of 4 you'll end up somewhere with higher taxes ...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

lived here all my life you move somewhere else and pay higher taxes that's an even easier solution I pay enough already thanks
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

LTD wrote:well good for you if youre happy being bent over every year I however am not

My Kelowna house in Glenmore 1800 on 1/3 acre with a nice detached shop and 2200Sq of living space in the house....my duplex in Edmonton which is newer with no shop and tiny *bleep* yard 3100. Just a heads up, Kelowna should be going way up in the next 5 years.
Sure do love Rutland!!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

phasyluck wrote:

My Kelowna house in Glenmore 1800 on 1/3 acre with a nice detached shop and 2200Sq of living space in the house....my duplex in Edmonton which is newer with no shop and tiny *bleep* yard 3100. Just a heads up, Kelowna should be going way up in the next 5 years.

key word there is duplex
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

My house value went up 15.5%. If I'm already paying taxes on an increase of 15.5% why does the city feel the need to raise the rates even further?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
spooker

Post by spooker »

Anonymous123 wrote:My house value went up 15.5%. If I'm already paying taxes on an increase of 15.5% why does the city feel the need to raise the rates even further?

The assessment change is not directly tied to the taxes you will pay ... the amount of money that the City will collect from property taxes will go up ~3.5% but your part of that will only change if your valuation changed more or less than the median change ... your taxes will not be going up by 15.5%
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

If you can't afford taxes perhaps home ownership isn't for you. Sell your place, and rent.

Problem solved.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Sustainable Taxes.........

Imagine if Trederp and that thief Morneau paid their taxes ....

We could end child poverty .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

spooker wrote:The assessment change is not directly tied to the taxes you will pay ... the amount of money that the City will collect from property taxes will go up ~3.5% but your part of that will only change if your valuation changed more or less than the median change ... your taxes will not be going up by 15.5%

I never said that my taxes will go up by 15%. What I was getting at is that with the rise in house prices most people's taxes are going up again without the 3.84%.

image.png
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Anonymous123 wrote:What I was getting at is that with the rise in house prices most people's taxes are going up again without the 3.84%.

No, it's only going up beyond 3.84% if your property went in value higher than the average.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

My house was assessed at $280k when I purchased it 13 years ago. It is now assessed at $539k. My tax payments have gone up considerably and my street still has no gas, water, sewer or sidewalks. Now they want more?

Return to “Central Okanagan”