Mail ransacked, gifts gone

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Mail ransacked, gifts gone

Post by Fancy »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#213854

Several Canada Post mailboxes across the Okanagan have been broken into and dozens of Christmas presents stolen.

Inside one of those mailboxes was a handmade stocking for a one-year-old’s first Christmas.

Tiera Bellerive, a West Kelowna resident, said the stocking was delivered last Thursday morning, but when she went to retrieve it, the mailbox in Tallus Ridge was completely empty.

She then found out that many other residents in the area were also missing their packages.
More in the story.

Check your mail every day - especially at high volume times of the year.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
jiva

Re: Mail ransacked, gifts gone

Post by jiva »

Mail box thefts having been occurring regularly for the past several weeks all over Kelowna and West Kelowna. Dilworth, Gallagher's Canyon to name a couple more. I wonder if any effort at all is being undertaken to curtail these crimes as most likely the same culprits and obviously going to continue.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Doubt there's much that can be done apart from picking up mail at an actual post office. No mailbox will be 100% safe which is why mail should be picked up every day.

Many residents in Kelowna's Gallagher's Canyon neighbourhood haven't received delivery from Canada Post since mid-November after mailbox thefts. Jules Knox reports.

To help prevent identity fraud, Canda Post recommends collecting mail daily and holding your mail when you’re out of town. It also says to ensure your address is changed with all of your financial institutions if you move.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3908357/mail ... residents/
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

“What we have in Richmond is about 1,100 addresses that are without service. These are addresses served through private mailboxes,” Jon Hamilton, manager of communications for Canada Post, told CTV News.
If these were boxes owned by Canada Post we would have had them long since repaired.

Wanna bet?

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/community-mailbox ... -1.3444623
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

perhaps they should put some cammaras up maybe get a pic of the person or plate number
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

LTD wrote:perhaps they should put some cammaras up maybe get a pic of the person or plate number

Not practical unfortunately.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Fancy wrote:
LTD wrote:perhaps they should put some cammaras up maybe get a pic of the person or plate number

Not practical unfortunately.

Why isn't it practical other than the fact that we live in a nanny state and refuse to hold people accountable for their actions.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

techrtr wrote:Why isn't it practical other than the fact that we live in a nanny state and refuse to hold people accountable for their actions.

I'm not surprised by the question but really, you're kidding right? You're going to mount cameras directly on the mailbox, someone's house, mount them on hydro poles or lamp posts? You have any idea how many mailboxes are distributed throughout the country? The Okanagan isn't the only area that has had problems. The cost is prohibitive.
Last edited by Fancy on Dec 13th, 2017, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

I live in Shannon Lake, I have to drive into Kelowna to get my mail. They are only open 11-2 on weekdays and we have had absolutely no information given to us as to when it will be fixed or when we can expect regular mail service. :swear: :cuss:
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.8600516, ... 6656?dcr=0

Where shall the camera be mounted? That goes for the one that liked techrtr's post as well.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

zerograv wrote:I live in Shannon Lake, I have to drive into Kelowna to get my mail. They are only open 11-2 on weekdays and we have had absolutely no information given to us as to when it will be fixed or when we can expect regular mail service. :swear: :cuss:

I've heard in the past mail has been redirected to West Kelowna for residents. It's ridiculous to have to go to another city to pick up your own mail.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

There needs to be healthy rewards for turning people in . Like 5000+ . There is no honor among them and how much is it worth to round up these pukes and publicly humiliate them . The amount of man hours for cops to drive in circles could be spent rewarding the people to bring it together .
Strong and free
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

The overall cost doesn't come close to being recoverable by what is being saved. If this happened the cost of mailing a standard letter would have to double and I would guess the majority could no longer afford to mail a parcel.
jiva

Post by jiva »

Unconfirmed reports that there were video cameras at mailbox thefts in Dilworth area which did not produce any results whatsoever. These pathetic individuals are unfortunately bright enough to cover their identity and not park vehicle in front of cameras.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 14th, 2017, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic

Return to “Central Okanagan”