What is the total of new Townhomes in Glenmore 1000+??

kelowna_proud
Fledgling

What is the total of new Townhomes in Glenmore 1000+??

Post by kelowna_proud »

We have the Conservatory which has been there for a while. It seems like every month council has approved 100 more town homes for Glenmore. Can someone add up for me how many new town homes have been approved and are going up in the Glenmore area now?. Its gotta be over 500 now?

Not to mention Town homes on KLO Road, The old KSS Site, Huge Towers downtown.

I own a basic home in Lower Glenmore and use every route to my advantage to get around. Glenmore to Winfield - Sexsmith to Reids Corner - Bernard to Burtch........Anything to avoid going to Spall Road bottle neck.

Is it just me or does anyone just not leave home until 7pm or 8pm......I personally go grocery shopping at 9pm or 10pm these days.

This town is growing out of control. We have 1 Costco, 1 Walmart and 1 Superstore and 1 BILLION cars and 1 BILLION people all Hot and *bleep* around those few square Kilometers by the Mall/Big Box Stores.

If you go to towns like Spokane they have like 6 Walmarts 2 Lowes 2 Home Depot 2 Kmarts Not to mentions Lot's of other stores like Target's, Fred Meyers, Safeway's, Albertson's ETC......OH Yeah a Major Freeway Bi-Pass around the city.

THIS PLACE IS GOING TO IMPLODE!!!!!

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -townhomes
Last edited by ferri on Dec 13th, 2017, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link added
doorways

Re: What is the total of new Townhomes in Glenmore 1000+??

Post by doorways »

I agree completely. I can't imagine what could be done that would even begin to fix or address it though. And you are quite correct - more and more decisions are being made that compound the situation. It feels kind of hopeless to me. :digging:
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

kelowna_proud wrote:We have the Conservatory which has been there for a while. It seems like every month council has approved 100 more town homes for Glenmore. Can someone add up for me how many new town homes have been approved and are going up in the Glenmore area now?. Its gotta be over 500 now?

Not to mention Town homes on KLO Road, The old KSS Site, Huge Towers downtown.

I own a basic home in Lower Glenmore and use every route to my advantage to get around. Glenmore to Winfield - Sexsmith to Reids Corner - Bernard to Burtch........Anything to avoid going to Spall Road bottle neck.

Is it just me or does anyone just not leave home until 7pm or 8pm......I personally go grocery shopping at 9pm or 10pm these days.

This town is growing out of control. We have 1 Costco, 1 Walmart and 1 Superstore and 1 BILLION cars and 1 BILLION people all Hot and *bleep* around those few square Kilometers by the Mall/Big Box Stores.

If you go to towns like Spokane they have like 6 Walmarts 2 Lowes 2 Home Depot 2 Kmarts Not to mentions Lot's of other stores like Target's, Fred Meyers, Safeway's, Albertson's ETC......OH Yeah a Major Freeway Bi-Pass around the city.

THIS PLACE IS GOING TO IMPLODE!!!!!

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -townhomes[/quote

The city is marching north and the infrastructure to support it is also is also moving north.
Driving along Hwy 97 N toward Sexsmith from McCurdy Road the new highway widening is spectacular especially with the new Porche dealership.
Spokane also does not have an an Agricultural Land Reserve which is the fly in the ointment of Kelowna. Where you going to put these big box stores, when it is all farmland?
Topographical restrictions such as the lake, Dilworth Mountain the Mission Creek escarpment and Glenmore Highland all severely restrict where roads and development can go. The Orchard Park mall sits in a narrow valley that is a mere one kilometer wide. Downtown is accessible from only the south and east.
Future roads such as the extension to Clement through to McCurdy will help a lot.
All the traffic studies done to date do not bear out the need for a bypass, it is mostly local traffic.
Waste not
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Traffic is as it is already congested. So we don't need a bypass??? Guess not. Look at the Glenmore speedway how much traffic it takes especially during rush hour. Is there ever a thought about the increase in road traffic when developments like these at approved? Doubt it. And what happened to the phrase "sustainable development"? IMNO its out of control.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Where are all these hot and *bleep* people?

1 BILLION people all Hot and *bleep* around those few square Kilometers by the Mall/Big Box Stores.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I laugh at people who say Kelowna has a traffic problem. Always coming from somebody who never been outside of Kelowna.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Even Steven wrote:I laugh at people who say Kelowna has a traffic problem. Always coming from somebody who never been outside of Kelowna.

Kelowna's traffic is pretty bad for a relatively small city.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Even Steven wrote:I laugh at people who say Kelowna has a traffic problem. Always coming from somebody who never been outside of Kelowna.

I always laugh at people that commute back and forth to work, drive a bit to get there
8 or so hrs. later, drive home.

Then state it is not that bad. But only in their vehicle 20-40 minutes a day.

Wonder what these people would say if they spent 10 to 13 hrs a day, five days a week
trying to efficiently deliver products around our fair City, and show productivity at
days/weeks end ?
Oh, and then restricted to what roads one can or cannot utelize thus being
restricted to all the busiest roads/streets.

Ya, a different take.

I know, veered hard right off topic....

:topic:

Pretty sure all the rest of the suporting infastructure must be getting maxed
out along with it all.

ie; all utilities..
That's a lot of s :cuss: t to consider.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
jasonjb

Post by jasonjb »

This, Ill take my 15min Kelowna commute over my old 2 hour a day commute any day of the week
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Frisk wrote:Kelowna's traffic is pretty bad for a relatively small city.

Very poor city planning over the years has gotten us to this point, to fix it would equals huge $$$$.... if it can be done.

impo biggest f :cuss: up was letting the Chamber of Commerce way back in the day reject a proposed bypass (I suspect in the late 50s or 60s).
grammafreddy first mentioned it, I reposted it here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=75390&p=2261715&hilit=grammafreddy#p2261715
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

dirtybiker wrote:Then state it is not that bad. But only in their vehicle 20-40 minutes a day.

My commute takes me exactly 8 minutes.

OMG TRAFFIC IS SO BAD, PLANNERS SUCK, TOO MANY PEOPLE MOVING IN, ARGH!!!!
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

A bypass is good in theory, but the primary reason traffic is busy in the city is people in the city going about their business, so a bypass wouldn't alleviate much.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

One of the problems we have in our town is people thinking it's a much bigger city than it actually is. A vibrant urban area with a lot of high rises works in bigger cities. There's more retail in bigger cities. There's more road infrastructure and more effective public transit in bigger cities. Why don't we be like bigger cities? Because we're not a big city, or even a moderately big city, we're a small to medium sized city. We're not Spokane (which is almost twice the size of Kelowna and in another country) and we're not Greater Vancouver (10+ times the size of Kelowna). We're not perfect and things could be improved, but it pains me whenever someone points to a completely incomparable place and suggests that we should be that. We are comparable to Red Deer and to Kamloops. I say instead of aspiring to be something we're not (and won't be for the foreseeable future) we should be forging our own unique future as Kelowna.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

It really is amusing.

I recall having to endure 2-3hr rush hour traffic on a regular basis back in the late 1960's in Toronto area. I hate to think what that has become over the years.

Imagine losing 4-6hrs (morning and evening commute) of your day every day sitting on a roadway sucking in exhaust fumes.

I've only ever been stuck in my vehicle for as much as an hour in Kelowna once, and that was due to the highway being closed after a big wreck with multiple fatalities, the alternate route down Glenmore to Winfield was jammed solid at the time.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Catri wrote:One of the problems we have in our town is people thinking it's a much bigger city than it actually is. A vibrant urban area with a lot of high rises works in bigger cities. There's more retail in bigger cities. There's more road infrastructure and more effective public transit in bigger cities. Why don't we be like bigger cities? Because we're not a big city, or even a moderately big city, we're a small to medium sized city. We're not Spokane (which is almost twice the size of Kelowna and in another country) and we're not Greater Vancouver (10+ times the size of Kelowna). We're not perfect and things could be improved, but it pains me whenever someone points to a completely incomparable place and suggests that we should be that. We are comparable to Red Deer and to Kamloops. I say instead of aspiring to be something we're not (and won't be for the foreseeable future) we should be forging our own unique future as Kelowna.

Neither Kamloops or Red Deer has the gongshow of peak traffic congestion that Kelowna has.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...

Return to “Central Okanagan”