Neighbours kill rehab centre

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Neighbours kill rehab centre

Post by GordonH »

fluffy wrote:That caught my eye too, why would a location closer to a hospital be preferable?

Due to any possible medical emergencies i.e some people may not follow rules of the rehab centre (bring drugs) or the withdraw causes health issues etc... etc
Wouldn't be better to be closer to emergency services then across town (like the location of the house in the OP link).... I don't mean next door or within hospital
(just a thought, not written in stone) Rehab centre's are very much needed.

Here is area I was think about covers a lot of area:
https://www.freemaptools.com/radius-aro ... 0FF00&mt=r
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

Say one thing....these neighbors actually put their money where the mouth was in buying the property. On the other side I feel for the woman who was trying to make a difference for people with addictions rather then sitting around pointing fingers of blame she stepped up. This situation kind of seems like a loss for everyone. Hopefully in the future a more agreeable location can be found. If that is possible.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

GordonH wrote:Due to any possible medical emergencies i.e some people may not follow rules of the rehab centre (bring drugs) or the withdraw causes health issues etc... etc

I guess that would depend on the actual nature of the facility. I agree that withdrawal can sometimes require medical attention, but if the proposed facility had not included detox as part of their mandate then the medical point is moot. Actual recovery is largely a mental process.

I wonder if the neighbours bothered to investigate that before deciding that the facility was a "hazard to their children" ?

Edited to add:
With some personal background in addiction I know full well the prejudices that some people carry toward addicts. As far as I'm concerned, those prejudices are every bit as big a problem as addiction itself, maybe even bigger when you consider the societal costs of this "me first" mindset.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I hope that she charged the bejabbers out of the neighbours. The neighbours can now get on with things that really concern them. Like good tee times.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

The original Castanet story said that the lady pulled the permit because of deficiencies in the home following an inspection. It appears Ms. Jansen wants to pin the blame on the neighbours completely, when she might not have gone through with the purchase anyways. Note the last two sentences below:

The City of Penticton's director of developmental services, Anthony Haddad, said the province's Community Care and Assisted Living Act overruled municipal zoning bylaws in this case.

"A residence of not more than 10 persons, not more of six of whom are in care, are exempt from any (zoning) provisions," he said.

"Within our zoning bylaw, we don't allow this in a residential zone. However, the provincial legislation supersedes the local government regulations on this issue. So our role in this issue was to review the business license application."

He noted that the business license application was pulled by Jansen two weeks ago.

Jansen said her deal fell through because of "enormous deficiencies" in the home following an inspection, but criticized the neighbours deeply, saying they were "driven by stigma."
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

fluffy wrote:I have to wonder what risk the naysayers see coming from a facility such as this in their neighbourhood? With only six beds it's safe to assume this would be a fairly exclusive operation serving those with deep pockets, not your run-of-the-mill crack-head rehab.

Her son was in a treatment facility, in fact that's where he overdosed. Deep pockets or not there is still a very real possibility that drugs will make their way into any facility.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Due to any possible medical emergencies i.e some people may not follow rules of the rehab centre (bring drugs) or the withdraw causes health issues etc... etc

fluffy wrote:I guess that would depend on the actual nature of the facility. I agree that withdrawal can sometimes require medical attention, but if the proposed facility had not included detox as part of their mandate then the medical point is moot. Actual recovery is largely a mental process.

I wonder if the neighbours bothered to investigate that before deciding that the facility was a "hazard to their children" ?

Edited to add:
With some personal background in addiction I know full well the prejudices that some people carry toward addicts. As far as I'm concerned, those prejudices are every bit as big a problem as addiction itself, maybe even bigger when you consider the societal costs of this "me first" mindset.

I think the type of rehab desperately needed is the ones dealing with withdraw.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote:"
Jansen said her deal fell through because of "enormous deficiencies" in the home following an inspection, but criticized the neighbours deeply, saying they were "driven by stigma."[/i]

No one has questioned "enormous deficiencies"? There is nothing deficient in this 1.5 million dollar home as a residence. What blew this lady out of the water is that Interior Health told her that she would have to spend x number of hundreds of thousands to make it comply as an approved facility that would be acceptable to receive gov't funding. Hygiene, fire separation, emergency lighting, escape routes, security, hand railings, surveillance system, etc etc. That was the "inspection" that blew her plan of buying a choice property the gov't would make the mortgage payments on to own outright after 15 yrs and then close the business.....not a building condition inspection.
I have no problem with treatment facilities. I just have a problem with people who try to exploit the system and this IMO is exploitation for personal gain. I am sad for the loss of her son as well but again, IMO, she is doing nothing more than leveraging that loss by going after high end real estate when there are clearly much more affordable properties to serve the purpose.
What was she trying to open.....A Fairmont Hotel for recovery?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Based on the interview on CBC this morning I'm of the impression she wasn't as transparent with the neighbors as some articles lead on. My interpretation is she went ahead with it despite concerns neighbors raised to her, the city, and the seller. Failing that, the neighbors went with their only option left - to buy it themselves.

Try to force it on the neighbors despite their concerns thinking there was nothing they could do...well guess what. That's what they can do.
Last edited by slootman on Dec 14th, 2017, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
No one has questioned "enormous deficiencies"? There is nothing deficient in this 1.5 million dollar home as a residence. What blew this lady out of the water is that Interior Health told her that she would have to spend x number of hundreds of thousands to make it comply as an approved facility that would be acceptable to receive gov't funding. Hygiene, fire separation, emergency lighting, escape routes, security, hand railings, surveillance system, etc etc. That was the "inspection" that blew her plan of buying a choice property the gov't would make the mortgage payments on to own outright after 15 yrs and then close the business.....not a building condition inspection.
I have no problem with treatment facilities. I just have a problem with people who try to exploit the system and this IMO is exploitation for personal gain. I am sad for the loss of her son as well but again, IMO, she is doing nothing more than leveraging that loss by going after high end real estate when there are clearly much more affordable properties to serve the purpose.
What was she trying to open.....A Fairmont Hotel for recovery?

Thanks for your input, twobits; seriously. The Castanet article left out the part about it being "Interior Health" that would require major upgrades to meet Provincial standards. It appeared (to me, at least) that perhaps they were building deficiencies that a normal residential inspection would disclose. I did wonder, when the neighbours said that they had toured the building and found nothing wrong. Residential and Institutional standards would be completely different.

The CBC article was even worse in that they never once mentioned the requirement costs to upgrade; only that the neighbours shut it down by purchasing it. Not quite "Fake News" but fairly close. Sounds like the neighbours perhaps jumped the gun a bit anyways. The woman would have been far better off, financially to purchase a lower end home and gut it first or something in the Industrial area. From CBC: [i]She is now looking for a new property in Penticton and hopes to open a facility in February 2018.[/i] Lets hope she does it right next time and understands the requirements of such a facility.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

bob vernon wrote:I hope that she charged the bejabbers out of the neighbours. The neighbours can now get on with things that really concern them. Like good tee times.

Don’t forget the peace and quiet and no traffic concerns a rehab center would bring, the gorgeous lake and multiple activities the region has to offer, and best of all.....they didn’t have their resale value plummet......glad they could afford to do this. Fore!!!!!
mrbugs

Post by mrbugs »

Some people have an opinion on anything, whether they know all the facts or not. Any excuse for an argument. Ms. Jansen didn't have a clue on the requirements for a licensed rehab centre. Now she's educated on the hoops. It is too bad that the Duncan's had to go through all the stress . Must be nice to have the means to just buy a home like that. That aside a three home gated property needs a bit of neighborly love. Say 6pm there's a medical emergency at the centre ,then 8pm some boyfriend all juiced up wants to see his gal. Police show. Then the ambulance brings the 6pm back... And that's Monday. No one wants that before bed. Residential is not the place for a rehab centre.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

mrbugs wrote:Some people have an opinion on anything, whether they know all the facts or not. Any excuse for an argument. Ms. Jansen didn't have a clue on the requirements for a licensed rehab centre. Now she's educated on the hoops. It is too bad that the Duncan's had to go through all the stress . Must be nice to have the means to just buy a home like that. That aside a three home gated property needs a bit of neighborly love. Say 6pm there's a medical emergency at the centre ,then 8pm some boyfriend all juiced up wants to see his gal. Police show. Then the ambulance brings the 6pm back... And that's Monday. No one wants that before bed. Residential is not the place for a rehab centre.

This is the part that most media reports left out and its critical to understanding all the facts. She (Ms Jansen) backed out on Nov 18th. As someone else mentioned previously, the required (Provincial Govt) upgrades for a facility of this type are far more stringent than a private residence. There was/is likely nothing at all wrong with the house, as a single family home, now. For her to blame the neighbours, (after SHE was the one who backed out) is just sour grapes on her part.

She was also surprised to learn the neighbours had bought the property after she and her realtor Hardy Maier of Home Team Realty Group had decided not to buy it back on Nov. 18. They were unable to negotiate with the sellers after she said her inspectors had found a number of issues relating to the building that needed repair.

“These deficiencies are always negotiable and that’s where we were at, just trying to find a cost to repair but we walked away and decided to look for something else,” said Maier.

“That’s a big outlay (neighbour’s purchase). We were at $1.4 million. I hope that they know what they bought, they could be into some issues. I mean, we didn’t get any written estimates but in my construction experience you could be looking at anywhere from 50 to 100 grand to repair it.”
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote:No one has questioned "enormous deficiencies"? There is nothing deficient in this 1.5 million dollar home as a residence. What blew this lady out of the water is that Interior Health told her that she would have to spend x number of hundreds of thousands to make it comply as an approved facility that would be acceptable to receive gov't funding. Hygiene, fire separation, emergency lighting, escape routes, security, hand railings, surveillance system, etc etc. That was the "inspection" that blew her plan of buying a choice property the gov't would make the mortgage payments on to own outright after 15 yrs and then close the business.....not a building condition inspection.

I think you've hit the real point there twobits. The upgrades needed to go from a simple residence to an institutional set-up can run into a lot of money. It looks to me like Ms. Jansen just hadn't done her homework on exactly how much she would have been out of pocket to get this ball rolling.

As much as I disagree with the neighbours' reasons for opposing such a facility, I commend them for putting their money where their mouths are.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

XT225 wrote:
mrbugs wrote:Some people have an opinion on anything, whether they know all the facts or not. Any excuse for an argument. Ms. Jansen didn't have a clue on the requirements for a licensed rehab centre. Now she's educated on the hoops. It is too bad that the Duncan's had to go through all the stress . Must be nice to have the means to just buy a home like that. That aside a three home gated property needs a bit of neighborly love. Say 6pm there's a medical emergency at the centre ,then 8pm some boyfriend all juiced up wants to see his gal. Police show. Then the ambulance brings the 6pm back... And that's Monday. No one wants that before bed. Residential is not the place for a rehab centre.

This is the part that most media reports left out and its critical to understanding all the facts. She (Ms Jansen) backed out on Nov 18th. As someone else mentioned previously, the required (Provincial Govt) upgrades for a facility of this type are far more stringent than a private residence. There was/is likely nothing at all wrong with the house, as a single family home, now. For her to blame the neighbours, (after SHE was the one who backed out) is just sour grapes on her part.

She was also surprised to learn the neighbours had bought the property after she and her realtor Hardy Maier of Home Team Realty Group had decided not to buy it back on Nov. 18. They were unable to negotiate with the sellers after she said her inspectors had found a number of issues relating to the building that needed repair.

“These deficiencies are always negotiable and that’s where we were at, just trying to find a cost to repair but we walked away and decided to look for something else,” said Maier.

“That’s a big outlay (neighbour’s purchase). We were at $1.4 million. I hope that they know what they bought, they could be into some issues. I mean, we didn’t get any written estimates but in my construction experience you could be looking at anywhere from 50 to 100 grand to repair it.”

she wanted to see herself on tv, she got what she wanted ,just another self serving do gooder
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “South Okanagan”