Banks gouging ?

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Banks gouging ?

Post by Bsuds »

Why not just do an e transfer?

While UPS is ultimately at fault the customer was not too smart and the Bank did not advise them how to send the money safely.
I'm sure there are several ways to transfer the money safely without using a Bank draft.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Why didn't the lawyer request a domestic bank-to-bank wire transfer? Why didn't the bank tell the lawyer this was available?

Hell, for that amount of money you can bet I'd be making the the 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hour trip from Cornwall to Toronto to pick up the money and sign the release.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Why cant they cancel the draft must be numbers on it plus ups admited not deliverying it so i fail to see how its customers fault when it was td who suggested the draft . Why should the customer have to put up a bond when they never recieved it .
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Close to a million cash. I think i would go myself to pick it up
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

While it's true that many of us have made a handsome profit via bank dividends over the past decade, it's also true that part of the reason banks have been making such record profits is because they've been gouging their customers with excessive bank fees, and super low interest rates on investments (much lower than necessary, even in our current low interest environment).

The really sad part is that it is those who can afford to pay the least, who always wind up paying the most. And by that I mean that the wealthier you are, the better deals you can negotiate with the banks when it comes to interest rates on lines of credit and mortgages. You can also usually get a better return on many of your investments as well. The system really is designed to benefit those who are already better off than most folk.

While there are many who will point out that is simply the "capitalist" way, that doesn't necessarily make it the "right" way; it's certainly not the fairest.

Fortunately there are some alternatives for those of us who are tired of the major banks predatory practices, but even those alternatives are far from perfect. Oaken Financial provides far better interest rates than the big banks and, providing you keep your balances below what the CDIC will insure, it's relatively risk free. Tangerine and the like provide lower rates than Oaken, but still better than the big banks so, for those who don't want to deal with Oaken, an online bank like Tangerine may be a better choice.

The problem of course is that many of society's underprivileged don't have access to these cheaper online banks, because poor folks often can't afford computers and internet. So, for them, the only lower cost alternative is probably a credit union.

But the bottom line is that, if banks didn't gouge their customers as much as they currently do, maybe more of those customers would stick with the big banks instead of constantly looking for alternatives. 20 years ago I had every penny in one of the big banks, whereas today I only have a very small amount in a no-fee seniors account that I use to pay my bills (and even that account is no longer available to today's seniors - it was discontinued a few years ago). I often wonder if they dropped their predatory practices, and gained more customers as a result, would their bottom line be just as good as it is under the current system? I think it might, but I doubt we'll ever be given the opportunity to find out.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Little bit publicity and boom money released

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toro ... -1.4447384

Just goes to show how shady they are
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Merry wrote:While it's true that many of us have made a handsome profit via bank dividends over the past decade, it's also true that part of the reason banks have been making such record profits is because they've been gouging their customers with excessive bank fees, and super low interest rates on investments (much lower than necessary, even in our current low interest environment).

The really sad part is that it is those who can afford to pay the least, who always wind up paying the most. And by that I mean that the wealthier you are, the better deals you can negotiate with the banks when it comes to interest rates on lines of credit and mortgages. You can also usually get a better return on many of your investments as well. The system really is designed to benefit those who are already better off than most folk.

While there are many who will point out that is simply the "capitalist" way, that doesn't necessarily make it the "right" way; it's certainly not the fairest.

Fortunately there are some alternatives for those of us who are tired of the major banks predatory practices, but even those alternatives are far from perfect. Oaken Financial provides far better interest rates than the big banks and, providing you keep your balances below what the CDIC will insure, it's relatively risk free. Tangerine and the like provide lower rates than Oaken, but still better than the big banks so, for those who don't want to deal with Oaken, an online bank like Tangerine may be a better choice.

The problem of course is that many of society's underprivileged don't have access to these cheaper online banks, because poor folks often can't afford computers and internet. So, for them, the only lower cost alternative is probably a credit union.

But the bottom line is that, if banks didn't gouge their customers as much as they currently do, maybe more of those customers would stick with the big banks instead of constantly looking for alternatives. 20 years ago I had every penny in one of the big banks, whereas today I only have a very small amount in a no-fee seniors account that I use to pay my bills (and even that account is no longer available to today's seniors - it was discontinued a few years ago). I often wonder if they dropped their predatory practices, and gained more customers as a result, would their bottom line be just as good as it is under the current system? I think it might, but I doubt we'll ever be given the opportunity to find out.

You stated exactly what will even out big banks in your argument; competition that will deliver the same or better product at a reduced cost(or higher interest). That's the brilliant part of free enterprise, it self regulates. Rules and regulations help to level fair playing fields and avoid cheats and scams but it is the untouched free structure that will control who succeeds and who falls. If you think people would want better interest for savings and lower fees and you can make that structure work as a business, start the business and if the idea is so great people will flock to it! Cells phones will obsolete the pay phone, Airbnb is competing well with major hotel chains, etc.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Sparki55 wrote: That's the brilliant part of free enterprise, it self regulates.

That might be true - if "free enterprise" actually existed, or more accurately, "fair enterprise". As it stands right now there hasn't been free enterprise since well before the days of the land barons of the old west gobbling up everything they could by crook and by force. The only thing really "free" about enterprise in today's socioeconomic system is that people and groups with the power to exploit others have the freedom to do so (self-regulate indeed). And the gap between the haves and have nots continues to expand - although I am sure that is the fault of ordinary folk for just not working hard enough.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Ka-El wrote: - although I am sure that is the fault of ordinary folk for just not working hard enough.

Yes and no. There is no argument for common folk not working hard enough but rather not demanding enough change. We are quick to complain about gas prices or hydro bills, bank gouging or low investment returns and political scams or corporate bullying however, what comes of this complaining? Nothing. No one takes it upon themselves to form a group to rise up against current political parties/ corporations, myself included. Is it for: fear of failing, feeling content enough with the current system, fear of rejection, lack of knowledge or simply just laziness?

Once and awhile someone challenges the system; netflix going up against blockbuster. Netflix cleary won and have still kept the price of good streaming TV at a very reasonable rate, enough to take a large scale of cable business and maybe change the entire way the world watches movies and TV shows.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

^^^ Great post! Especially ...

Sparki55 wrote: There is no argument for common folk not working hard enough but rather not demanding enough change.

:up: eta: things may begin to change though, I am hoping events south of the border have started to wake people up
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmo ... -1.4458273

Td not having good month.more ineptness exposed

Return to “Canada”