Cannabis, Marijuana the Legalization of it.

gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Cannabis, Marijuana the Legalization of it.

Post by gman313 »

Chyren wrote:These opinions on driving are very narrow minded.

Watch and see what happens.

how so?

we already have legal alcohol and prescription drugs. Why would legal marijuana be any different
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

What's a tad narrow minded is your assumption that the roads will suddenly become full of MJ impaired drivers upon legalization. People either use it or don't. Just like alcohol. The only difference will be people will be able to purchase it from Gov't approved vendors with a taxation to benefit all of society rather than into the pockets of the Hell's Angels that funds all kinds of other illicit activities.
And IMO, impairment by MJ on the roads may even be reduced with legalization thru better training of officers to detect impairment and some money to actually develop roadside screening devices much like those for alcohol.
Your "sky is falling" presumption" is rather dated.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

The best solution to the possible problems associated with legalization can be addressed by treating marijuana in the same manner as alcohol. Sell it in liquor stores and apply the same management to MJ as they do to booze. Taxes,suppliers, no open smoking, age limit, and the list goes on. These are all addressed by provincial government liquor control boards. As far as testing for impairment, wasn't there a recent story about a UBCO professor inventing a hand held device that could detect marijuana on your breath?

Edited to add:

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/ubc-okanagan-researcher-develops-marijuana-breathalyzer/article29694086/?ref=https://www.theglobeandmail.com&
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

Anonymous123 wrote:The best solution to the possible problems associated with legalization can be addressed by treating marijuana in the same manner as alcohol. Sell it in liquor stores and apply the same management to MJ as they do to booze. Taxes,suppliers, no open smoking, age limit, and the list goes on. These are all addressed by provincial government liquor control boards. As far as testing for impairment, wasn't there a recent story about a UBCO professor inventing a hand held device that could detect marijuana on your breath?

Edited to add:

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/ubc-okanagan-researcher-develops-marijuana-breathalyzer/article29694086/?ref=https://www.theglobeandmail.com&

I would like to see the hand held screening device, marijuana stays in your system approx. one month after indulging, how's that gonna work?
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... glaws.html

There seems to be an already recognized level for Impaired driving investigations.
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

Chyren wrote:https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/news/2017/04/backgrounder_changestoimpaireddrivinglaws.html

There seems to be an already recognized level for Impaired driving investigations.

Ya, its basically Zero. Certain police officers will nail you even if you don't blow over.
my10cents

Post by my10cents »

twobits wrote:

What's a tad narrow minded is your assumption that the roads will suddenly become full of MJ impaired drivers upon legalization. People either use it or don't. Just like alcohol. The only difference will be people will be able to purchase it from Gov't approved vendors with a taxation to benefit all of society rather than into the pockets of the Hell's Angels that funds all kinds of other illicit activities.
And IMO, impairment by MJ on the roads may even be reduced with legalization thru better training of officers to detect impairment and some money to actually develop roadside screening devices much like those for alcohol.
Your "sky is falling" presumption" is rather dated.

Perhaps you will reconsider when your neighbour decides to smoke it and you get the lovely smell up your nasal passages? And then you can be the recipient of a stoned neighbour who also drinks alchohol on top of that. If it's easy to get - hell why not? It's just an added legal extra right? lol. :-X
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

my10cents wrote:
Perhaps you will reconsider when your neighbour decides to smoke it and you get the lovely smell up your nasal passages? And then you can be the recipient of a stoned neighbour who also drinks alchohol on top of that. If it's easy to get - hell why not? It's just an added legal extra right? lol. :-X

Of all the smells in the world I can think of a million that would be worse to smell -

I can assume you have smelled it before??? (Not sure how since it has been illegal our entire lifetimes by such an effective drug policy.......)

Of all the arguements - aroma??? Really? Me thinks the well has run dry......
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

Have to agree. Would prefer the odd MJ smoke to 24/7 cow poop.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

my10cents wrote:Perhaps you will reconsider when your neighbour decides to smoke it and you get the lovely smell up your nasal passages? And then you can be the recipient of a stoned neighbour who also drinks alchohol on top of that.

Perhaps I'll come on board with your line of thinking when the Gov't makes it illegal for my neighbor to have five cats that *bleep* in my yard and throws the litter box out the back door. I'll take the occasional waft of mj smoke any day over the legal stench of cat *bleep* and poop invading my airspace.
What are u gonna complain about next that affects you in no way. The Orientals cooking fish next door that offends you or the southeast Asians curry dinner?
Get a grip or move to the bush somewhere where you have no possible neighbor that might offend your olfactory senses.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Far better than smoking is eating. No stinky and smelly clothes.
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

they must be bad neighbours, they didn't invite you over for a few puffs, and a beer. :130:
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

bob vernon wrote:Far better than smoking is eating. No stinky and smelly clothes.

Also better for your lungs.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Hermes
Fledgling

I am opposed to legalization

Post by Hermes »

But not for the reasons you might think...

I prefer decriminalization, which was the default at least in GVRD. Unless you were growing acres of the stuff and were associated with the Hell's Angels the police and courts looked the other way. Now it will become part of the bureaucracy of the Liquor Control Board, which I loathe for interfering in bars and liquor shops. What is going to happen now if someone grows five instead of four plants and tries to sell the fruits of his home garden to his neighbours and friends? Will the armed representatives of the State will arrest him and prosecute for gardening? Absurd.

Legalization is bad news. All it will do is provide funding for social programs, administered by politicians. I say just let people and commerce be.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Anonymous123 wrote:The best solution to the possible problems associated with legalization can be addressed by treating marijuana in the same manner as alcohol. Sell it in liquor stores and apply the same management to MJ as they do to booze. Taxes,suppliers, no open smoking, age limit, and the list goes on. These are all addressed by provincial government liquor control boards. As far as testing for impairment, wasn't there a recent story about a UBCO professor inventing a hand held device that could detect marijuana on your breath?

Edited to add:

I just showed you links in previous threads(which you completely ignored) that dispensaries reduces the opiate crisis and helps people. What is your hard on for liquor store bureaucracies? you have to be the worst dude dawning the Anonymous label I have ever encountered.

Return to “South Okanagan”