Traffic fines should not go to the city

LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Re: Traffic fines should not go to the city

Post by LivinginKelowna »

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-214115-1-.htm#214115 get it done mr basran do something good for this city for a change :smt045

and for you winer's, no this is not a cash grab , if your not speeding you will not get a ticket in the mail ,that simple

If there are no repercussions except a fine, then it is a cash grab.

It will not affect the person with the financial resources to happily pay the fine and it will not deter the person from continually committing the offense
Last edited by LivinginKelowna on Dec 15th, 2017, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

LivinginKelowna wrote:
the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-214115-1-.htm#214115 get it done mr basran do something good for this city for a change :smt045

and for you winer's, no this is not a cash grab , if your not speeding you will not get a ticket in the mail ,that simple

If there are no repercussions except a fine, then it is a cash grab.

It will not affect the person with the financial resources to happily pay the fine and it will not deter the person from continually committing the offense

thus it is a cash grab

Right, these fines are always a cash grab. They wouldn't give you a discount and chance of avoiding points by paying quickly if it werent.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

you people kill me, if people are not speeding ,they will not make a penny off the radar--so no its not a cash grab
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Post by LivinginKelowna »

the truth wrote:you people kill me, if people are not speeding ,they will not make a penny off the radar--so no its not a cash grab

look beyond the end of your nose
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] please correct me were i am wrong, if you do not speed you will not get a ticket
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

the truth wrote:[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] please correct me were i am wrong, if you do not speed you will not get a ticket

There are areas where the speed limit is unclear. Also, when there's a speed change from like 80 - 50 some people who don't slow down fast enough might be ticketed depending on the officer. I'd like to live in your world where everything is black and white.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

my5cents wrote:

What ? What are you talking about ? We hire people to monitor traffic right now, they're called police. "Ratting each other".

Thankyou for explaining; " We hire people to monitor traffic right now, they're called police ". Im glad thats settled.

I think you need to go back and reread. The "police" werent mentioned anywhere in their comment.

LivinginKelowna wrote:Perhaps it is time to employ people to just drive around and watch for infractions that are dangerous to the public. You make a turn without a signal light, or run a red or a stop sign or cut someone off, you get followed for 5-10 minutes. If within that 10 minutes you continue to exhibit these poor driving habits, you go for a test, a very hard test. Fail, no driving for you.

It sounded to me like LivinginKelowa was saying they would be in favor of encouraging "groups of people" to follow and report those who they think are breaking the law. Mob mentality (??)

Im sure thats not what they meant but thats how i read it.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

monroe wrote:It sounded to me like LivinginKelowa was saying they would be in favor of encouraging "groups of people" to follow and report those who they think are breaking the law. Mob mentality (??)

Im sure thats not what they meant but thats how i read it.

LivinginKelowna did say "employ" people, which I took to mean to hire and pay to do something. They didn't say "implore" , meaning to ask or urge to do something.

Taking my perception, I extrapolated employing someone as being the same or similer to what police do. I made the stretch that LivinginKelowna was considering that someone who just monitoring traffic, perhaps with the use of some type of recording system, would cost much less than a fully trained police officer.

Inviting citizens to report traffic offenses, is not, IMO, viable in the least, I certainly agree we you on that.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

So the amount of police officers needed to just monitor Hwy 97/Harvey (from airport to connector) from 6am to 11pm, would be insane. I would have absolutely no issues having similar camera"s as the red light, but set up for speeding. Still have police do random speed traps as well.

There is absolutely no need to speed, if one is late then just leave earlier. If you have a need to speed get a membership at area 24.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

the truth wrote:[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] please correct me were i am wrong, if you do not speed you will not get a ticket

You know, I don't think I've ever agreed with anything you've ever said on here.. It must be a Christmas Miracle, but I agree with you !!

I have no issue with Photo radar. It could be set up in every traffic light and scatted all over the road side for all I care. If I want to drive faster than what is legally allowed, then I'm increasing risk to me and to everyone else on the road. Currently, if a traffic cop spots me doing this, I get a fine. Why should we require the traffic cop be present to issue the fine? Technology is able to automate some of the mundane tasks performed by highly paid RCMP officers. Lets use it.

Calling it a cash cow is just ignorant. It's like stating that speeding and running traffic lights isn't against the law unless you get caught.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:So the amount of police officers needed to just monitor Hwy 97/Harvey (from airport to connector) from 6am to 11pm, would be insane. I would have absolutely no issues having similar camera"s as the red light, but set up for speeding. Still have police do random speed traps as well.

There is absolutely no need to speed, if one is late then just leave earlier. If you have a need to speed get a membership at area 24.

The premise would be "there are traffic monitoring vehicles somewhere, you don't know when or where". If you are a danger on the road, speeding, tailgating, cutting in and out, your entire driving will be reviewed, contrary to the present where the police observe one of those violations and issue one ticket.

I don't see your assertion that a very high number of monitors while be necessary to make the program effective. The real goal is deterrent, not total 100% apprehension to be successful.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ photo radar does not need to be in a vehicle, places in Europe put up signs warning drivers the device is similar idea to red light cameras already here in Kelowna. Just setup for speeders

On many occasions I've followed drivers as they slow down for speed traps, once passed they go like a bat out of hell. Since the police never setup back to back speed traps
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Anyone ever seen what happens at the intersection at springfield/benvoulin ?

Theyve got a camera set up there to catch the red light runners. Anyone whos ever seen this thing go off after dusk will tell you it lights up the intersection like the 4th of july.

I think there are a few around town.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

the truth wrote: ... if your not speeding you will not get a ticket in the mail ,that simple

Simple in theory, yes.

In practice - not so much.

Dont smoke, theres no cancer,
Dont drink, no alcoholism,
Dont share needles, no hiv,
Dont play with guns, no gun deaths,
Dont shart, no dirty underwear ....

The world isnt perfect. There will always be those who speed and make other stupid decisions.
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

It might depend on where they put them, and at what speed they were set at.
Some places need help, and once people know where the cameras are, they slow down, simple as that.
School zones would be a good place. Parts of Glenmore are treated like a race track.
When you drive in Europe, where the cameras are quite common, everyone slows down in that area. Unless they're stupid.
As for fines won't impact rich people, maybe they should add a trip to the police station to pay the fine in person.

One of the speeding problems in this town is how many as****es don't even know how to speed. Not a clue, at all, not even a little.
Ripping up narrow streets doing 90 km/h, tailgating when the light is so obviously red, pulling in front of fully loaded trucks at the last second as they come to a stop, and ......on and on. They have no clue about timing and flow, just how fast they can get the car to go. The same idiots who can't figure out a traffic circle, a yield, or how to back off the gas just a tad so someone can merge safely and easily.

Yes I do think some of the speed limits are too low, but not by 40 km/h. If you want to rally, show some balls and buy a rally car and get off the public roads.

Return to “Central Okanagan”