Did you know?

1bads15

Did you know?

Post by 1bads15 »

the story about the driver getting a ticket..
he said he pulled in to park for the night.why did you then pull it out of your pocket to put it out of reach ,,you said you were parked for the night??
if you have your phone in your hand and your truck is moving?? thats a ticket all day long.
looks like the judge saw right through his BS

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... d-you-know
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Did you know?

Post by Piecemaker »

I took it to mean that the driver had started his truck and was preparing to leave in the morning after spending the night there so he took his phone out of his pocket and put it on the floor as he says is his practice. Regardless, he was in violation of the law. (And there may be more to the incident than was reported.)
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

So, he received a ticket because his rig was running (albeit in park) while he handled his phone?

So if I am in my car letting it warm up, I cannot send an "I'm on my way" text?

I think this goes a bit far, or there is more to the story.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

So I guess pulling over and stopping your car and putting it in park isn't enough? Do I actually have to shut my car off before I can use my phone? If this is so It's a little much IMO.
groomeral

Post by groomeral »

This whole article is wrong including judge.Google the BC cellphone use while driving act. If you are pulled over in a safe location and stopped you can use your cellphone all you want. It is under the exceptions section. This should be disputed. Another case of cop going for his ticket quota. There is no mention in act of public or non-public locations. Also something is phony in this story because a low cop car would not be able to see up into a truck to see someone take a cellphone out of there pocket and put it on the floor. BS going on....
1bads15

Post by 1bads15 »

i think its ok to be in park, but if your moving thats when the ticket is written, so the claim of the judge saying the same goes for people sitting in the mall parking lot i would think to be a false statement.. but yes i think theres more to the story, maybe the driver had a bit of an attitude with the officer?
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

This all sounds a bit odd. Police officer was waiting and watching for truck to move off when it was parked in a gas station. Guy didn't have phone in hand when moving off (so he says) Phone could easily be checked to see if it had indeed been used at that moment. Judge hands down ticket, fine and points! Has to be more to this story surely
jbthatsme

Post by jbthatsme »

BC Hwy website says NOTHING about vehicle needing to be shut off, see below, (my emphasis):

As of Jan. 1, 2010, B.C.’s new law will make it illegal for drivers to use hand-held cellphones and other portable electronic devices. Among the prohibitions:
No operating, viewing or holding hand-held cellphones or other electronic devices
No sending or reading emails and/or texting (e.g., BlackBerry, PDA, cell phone)
No operating or holding hand-held music or portable gaming devices (e.g., MP3 players, iPods)
No manual programming or adjusting GPS systems, whether built into the vehicle or not, while driving. Settings must be programmed before driving
No viewing of a television screen
Any of the above devices can be used *if the vehicle is legally parked and not impeding traffic,* and to call 9-1-1 to report an emergency.
http://www.bchighway.com/myvehicle/hand ... phone.html
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Something wrong.

Very poor article if nothing else.

Put the phone on the ground ? The floor of the truck ?

The judge ? Tickets are disputed before a Justice of the Peace.

Public Domain ? A Highway ?

You get in your vehicle which is legally parked ANYWHERE, you start the vehicle, you may take your phone out and make a call, turn on Blue Tooth so you can use your hands free, or maybe to turn it off, all perfectly legal.

Gotta love Castanet reporting.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
creelock

Post by creelock »

Oh gosh, I read about this, this morning and it occurred to me that all our fine, upstanding citizens who have a starbucks habit and are idling in the drive-through line with their phone in their hand waiting to pay for their coffee with their starbucks app are now going to be terrified that they will receive a huge fine!!!!???
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

my5cents wrote:Something wrong.

Very poor article if nothing else.

Put the phone on the ground ? The floor of the truck ?

The judge ? Tickets are disputed before a Justice of the Peace.

Public Domain ? A Highway ?

You get in your vehicle which is legally parked ANYWHERE, you start the vehicle, you may take your phone out and make a call, turn on Blue Tooth so you can use your hands free, or maybe to turn it off, all perfectly legal.

Gotta love Castanet reporting.

Probable fact is that buddy threw the phone on the floor when he saw the cop. As a driver wanting to use the phone, why did he not have Bluetooth? That would have gotten him off.
If you back into another vehicle in the Mall parking lot and cause damage, the other guy is covered by your liability insurance.

As long as you are on a road or driveway that you are authorized to use, your insurance will cover damage caused by you. Since ICBC covers you, they get to set the rules, why is that so difficult to comprehend?

As long as you are manually using your phone while driving anywhere you can be charged so don't do it.
Waste not
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

No sympathy from me . Infact i want to see cell disabling tech for cars implemented to many folks dead because of texting fools
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

maryjane48 wrote:No sympathy from me . Infact i want to see cell disabling tech for cars implemented to many folks dead because of texting fools

Cell disabling exists, in fact its part of new update for all i phones apart from third party apps that already offer the service. Now getting people to use it is a different matter and of course not always necessary if you are in a moving vehicle as a passenger.
The article is definitely at odds to advice given by RCMP and others regards phone use. "Pull over and stop somewhere safe before using your phone" was the advice given out by media after the ban was in effect. According to this article and the guys fine there is nowhere that would be a safe place to use the phone unless you either got out of the vehicle or were inside a private fully fenced property (with the owners permission of course) [icon_lol2.gif]
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Kinda reminds me of that story a few years back with the lady, after a night of drinking did the responsible thing and called for a cab - she went into her car, started it up to keep warm and Super Cop tried to get her a DUI.

If this story is true, and he simply moved his phone around then the cop over stepped the line.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

I know a constable in town here that think's traffic police are a bunch of lazy you know what's, he's right. :up:

Return to “Central Okanagan”