51647

Traffic Concerns...

Home of the traffic rant.

Traffic Concerns...

Postby chell90 » Dec 15th, 2017, 4:32 pm

As someone driving in Kelowna, only being in my 20s it is quite stressful. Even if you are a good driver, people are driving a lot more dangerously.
I've seen a 4 car accident no where near the intersection, where it was obviously someone distracted, and then the 2 other drivers were tailgating just like 90% of drivers here do.
It's a town full of anxious people and the amount of traffic weaving, excessive speeding, tailgating, and running lights seems so be increasing. Someone just today lane changed in the middle of an intersection and almost caused a serious accident, scared the s*** out of me and I had to be extra careful the rest of the drive.
I get the feeling of needing to be in front to traffic and wanting to weave... I myself am guilty. But this week I've been practicing patience and just sticking to traffic flow. Going Gordon from end to end didnt get me there anywhere faster going with traffic flow and taking it easy.
Speeding is an issue in itself but it's so common in Kelowna that traffic flow will go around 20 above the limit and you have a cop car in the traffic flow and no one cares. Apparently not even the cop..

So for me I'm all for radar camera inforcement. Kelowna could use a lot more red light cams for sure as that's the main cause of accidents. It's rediculous to wait for a solid red while you are in the middle of the intersection to get out of the way... The one accident I had was because the person ran a red light. It's especially worse in areas with terrible traffic flow. Spots to merge no one actually merges, they just speed up to get in front and everyone else tend to avoid letting anyone in front of them.

Just saying that I'm not the only one who drives over Dilworth mountain or through east Kelowna to avoid bad drivers and traffic lights.
I won't even begin to talk about the people who don't consider road conditions...
This topic has probably been spoken about frequently but I really hope change happens. Especially when it comes to the city improving traffic flow, and not adding lights at every four way stop..

2 people like this post.
chell90
 
Posts: 5
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 6 posts
Joined: Aug 31st, 2017, 11:01 pm

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Postby lightspeed » Dec 15th, 2017, 8:13 pm

chell90 wrote:As someone driving in Kelowna, only being in my 20s it is quite stressful. Even if you are a good driver, people are driving a lot more dangerously.
I've seen a 4 car accident no where near the intersection, where it was obviously someone distracted, and then the 2 other drivers were tailgating just like 90% of drivers here do.
It's a town full of anxious people and the amount of traffic weaving, excessive speeding, tailgating, and running lights seems so be increasing. Someone just today lane changed in the middle of an intersection and almost caused a serious accident, scared the s*** out of me and I had to be extra careful the rest of the drive.
I get the feeling of needing to be in front to traffic and wanting to weave... I myself am guilty. But this week I've been practicing patience and just sticking to traffic flow. Going Gordon from end to end didnt get me there anywhere faster going with traffic flow and taking it easy.
Speeding is an issue in itself but it's so common in Kelowna that traffic flow will go around 20 above the limit and you have a cop car in the traffic flow and no one cares. Apparently not even the cop..

So for me I'm all for radar camera inforcement. Kelowna could use a lot more red light cams for sure as that's the main cause of accidents. It's rediculous to wait for a solid red while you are in the middle of the intersection to get out of the way... The one accident I had was because the person ran a red light. It's especially worse in areas with terrible traffic flow. Spots to merge no one actually merges, they just speed up to get in front and everyone else tend to avoid letting anyone in front of them.

Just saying that I'm not the only one who drives over Dilworth mountain or through east Kelowna to avoid bad drivers and traffic lights.
I won't even begin to talk about the people who don't consider road conditions...
This topic has probably been spoken about frequently but I really hope change happens. Especially when it comes to the city improving traffic flow, and not adding lights at every four way stop..


Watch some defensive driving videos. And just look after yourself on the roads. Once you yourself are competent, 90% of driving skills is watching the rest of the cretins out there and avoiding their stupidity.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

Smurf likes this post.
User avatar
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2604
Likes: 4126 posts
Liked in: 2051 posts
Joined: Jan 13th, 2016, 9:58 am
Location: Vulgaria

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 15th, 2017, 8:57 pm

If u are afraid to drive. I suggest u take a bus. Photo radar will not prevent one single accident. To top it off the only photo radar ticket i ever got was a screw up. I was not even in the city that sent me the ticket. Had not been there in years. The photo was of my plate on some random old truck. Only problem with that. I still had my plate and it was on my honda accord. Ya great system. Took 5 phone calls to get that sorted out
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MAKE ALBERTA GREAT AGAIN
User avatar
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3019
Likes: 5234 posts
Liked in: 1717 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 15th, 2017, 9:07 pm

chell90 wrote:Speeding is an issue in itself but it's so common in Kelowna that traffic flow will go around 20 above the limit and you have a cop car in the traffic flow and no one cares. Apparently not even the cop.

Thats because the other vehicles, including the cop is doing the safe thing - going with the flow of traffic, then mention red light camera's - until then ... sorry, just another tax grab.
chell90 wrote:Kelowna could use a lot more red light cams for sure as that's the main cause of accidents.

Time the lights in an efficient manner first, instead of playing Simon Says with traffic flow.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10618
Likes: 4429 posts
Liked in: 5032 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Postby jimmy4321 » Dec 16th, 2017, 6:23 am

I'm all for Photo Radar and red light cams-wherever a buck can be made put one there!!!
I don't believe it's going to have a major impact on preventing crashes but in the long term it might.
If any government needs extra tax revenue, taking money away from speeders or jerks racing though red lights is the right people to take that money from.
The rest of us can AVOID this tax by not driving like :cuss: , that's harder for some than others.

Smurf likes this post.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3385
Likes: 853 posts
Liked in: 1475 posts
Joined: Jun 6th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 16th, 2017, 6:43 am

jimmy4321 wrote:I'm all for Photo Radar and red light cams-wherever a buck can be made put one there!!!
I don't believe it's going to have a major impact on preventing crashes but in the long term it might.
If any government needs extra tax revenue, taking money away from speeders or jerks racing though red lights is the right people to take that money from.
The rest of us can AVOID this tax by not driving like :cuss: , that's harder for some than others.



I think this is actually a fair statement. I prefer we dont have photo radar but your argument is pretty sound. Let the jerks pay.
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MAKE ALBERTA GREAT AGAIN

Smurf likes this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3019
Likes: 5234 posts
Liked in: 1717 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Postby Wheels » Dec 16th, 2017, 11:18 pm

Reduce hospital waiting lists, the empirical evidence is available in Australia. If you have ever travelled in Queensland, toward the Sunshine Coast, you will notice the majority of commuters travel at 100 km/hr. Really on those long open highways? All because of hidden speed cameras.
The empirical evidence supporting speed cameras shows a huge drop in serious injuries and fatalities with the introduction of speed cameras thus reducing hospital WAITING LISTS! Fact!
The mere fact a camera is watching you is every reason for a driver to slow down....Fact. If it hits the pocket book, drivers will slow down. Who cares whether it is extra tax, who cares who it goes to. The very fact you might lose cash is a very good reason to slow down and save lives.
Why in Canada is it necessary to study your own model? Stop re inventing the wheel and take advice from overseas examples.
The RCMP have failed to police the highways, because they are short staffed and attending priority jobs. Give then the mobile speed camera cars and static cameras. Once a life is lost on the road, its too late.
Well done mayor of West Kelowna, I fully support your initiative, you are a well informed and smart man.
Wheels
 
Posts: 32
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 12 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2005, 8:19 pm

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Postby lightspeed » Dec 17th, 2017, 8:24 am

Wheels wrote:Reduce hospital waiting lists, the empirical evidence is available in Australia. If you have ever travelled in Queensland, toward the Sunshine Coast, you will notice the majority of commuters travel at 100 km/hr. Really on those long open highways? All because of hidden speed cameras.
The empirical evidence supporting speed cameras shows a huge drop in serious injuries and fatalities with the introduction of speed cameras thus reducing hospital WAITING LISTS! Fact!
The mere fact a camera is watching you is every reason for a driver to slow down....Fact. If it hits the pocket book, drivers will slow down. Who cares whether it is extra tax, who cares who it goes to. The very fact you might lose cash is a very good reason to slow down and save lives.
Why in Canada is it necessary to study your own model? Stop re inventing the wheel and take advice from overseas examples.
The RCMP have failed to police the highways, because they are short staffed and attending priority jobs. Give then the mobile speed camera cars and static cameras. Once a life is lost on the road, its too late.
Well done mayor of West Kelowna, I fully support your initiative, you are a well informed and smart man.


You're another one who has fallen for the traffic speed camara Koolaid. Just like Mayor goofball.

Just an example but there is a lot of similar intel out there.

https://www.motorists.org/blog/speed-ca ... -not-work/

Photo radar teaches smart drivers to slow down for the cameras. Let the dumb drivers, tourists, and visitors take the hit getting caught. Woohoo - tax revenue.

One thing it does not do is teach drivers to change their driving habits and drive at a more appropriate speed all the time. That requires enforcement action and a possible police presence at any point in time during a trip.

Random traffic stops for speeding, and the type of blitz we see on Springfield pulling over up to 200 idiots for a variety of offences are what is needed. Just to keep the public reminded of their responsibilities as drivers.

Do that every week, and the message will get through.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

4 people like this post.
User avatar
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2604
Likes: 4126 posts
Liked in: 2051 posts
Joined: Jan 13th, 2016, 9:58 am
Location: Vulgaria

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Postby Bsuds » Dec 17th, 2017, 8:46 am

lightspeed wrote:Do that every week, and the message will get through.


They should have a dedicated team doing this daily in different locations. Unfortunately the message would still be lost on some.
Nowadays it's almost rude to ask a question without Googling it first!

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 41600
Likes: 7703 posts
Liked in: 9754 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 17th, 2017, 8:51 am

Bsuds wrote:
lightspeed wrote:Do that every week, and the message will get through.


They should have a dedicated team doing this daily in different locations. Unfortunately the message would still be lost on some.




What is the point.

Seriously. Just drive a bit faster like everyone else. The lights slow em all down anyhow.

There are way too many cars on the road here for the roads we have. Zero new arterial roads built in my 25 plus years here.
Zero planning done for future growth.
Back in the 90s there was a plan for a mission by pass. They should build it already. Gordon is maxed out so is dehart and lakeshore.
Zero thought went into any of this.
Watched with horror as the city has now ripped up lakeshore 4 or 5 times yet has not widened the bridge over bellvue creek.
But oh it gets better a new traffic circle. That will fix it
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MAKE ALBERTA GREAT AGAIN

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3019
Likes: 5234 posts
Liked in: 1717 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Postby spooker » Dec 17th, 2017, 8:57 am

Dizzy1 wrote:Thats because the other vehicles, including the cop is doing the safe thing - going with the flow of traffic, then mention red light camera's - until then ... sorry, just another tax grab.


Just had this discussion with a teenager the other day who has their 'L' ... and saying it's safer is untrue ... not because your premise is incorrect but because "safer" is subjective here ... if you go slower you increase the possibility of accidents occurring ... but if you go faster you increase the severity of any accident that happens ... it's not something that will ever have a real conclusion ...

The faster we go the quicker we have to be to avoid any hazards ... as we see the amount of traffic go up we have to be more attentive ... have we already reached the point on the road where driving is only possible for the superhuman? and that's the reason that we're seeing such an increase in problems ...

Can we start a "pledge" campaign to stop the a :cuss: hat driving? something like the abstinence pledge some high schools had whenever that was ...

I'm all for the photo radar ... red light cameras, good ... heck, just put up the warning signs saying that they're there and I bet we'd see a difference in driving for those that are paying attention in the first place ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato

lightspeed likes this post.
User avatar
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 841
Likes: 707 posts
Liked in: 542 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Postby lightspeed » Dec 17th, 2017, 9:18 am

spooker wrote:Can we start a "pledge" campaign to stop the a :cuss: hat driving? something like the abstinence pledge some high schools had whenever that was ...

...red light cameras, good ... heck, just put up the warning signs saying that they're there and I bet we'd see a difference in driving for those that are paying attention in the first place ...


1. It shouldn't require a "pledge". You either willingly choose to disregard laws, create problems for other motorists and road users, act selfishly, yack on your cellphone, and drive like you're the most important person on the roads.

Or you could just pledge to yourself to drive well, handle your vehicle competently, avoid tickets, keep a clean abstract, and not be a hassle for other road users.

Easy choice. And assuming you have the basic skills to operate a vehicle (despite having a licence, many on our roads don't have such skills) it's easy to do this.

Just wake up one day and commit to good safe competent driving. DO IT.

2. Intersection cameras only work 33% of the time. Useless technocrap.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

Jflem1983 likes this post.
User avatar
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2604
Likes: 4126 posts
Liked in: 2051 posts
Joined: Jan 13th, 2016, 9:58 am
Location: Vulgaria

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Postby Bman » Dec 17th, 2017, 1:06 pm

I frequently see rcmp make illegal lane changes in intersections while turning left or right.
If they can't drive according to law and they don't enforce the same infractions that about half the people out there commit, I don't expect any proper driving out there at all.
Imo it's a free for all.
That's why ya have to watch out for everyone else.
They either don't know what the rules are or they choose to ignore them.
Last edited by Bman on Dec 17th, 2017, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is the world getting stupider, or is it just getting easier for stupid people to have their thoughts heard?

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Bman
Mindquad
 
Posts: 27792
Likes: 11326 posts
Liked in: 8941 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 10:05 am
Location: Surrey-By-The-Lake

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Postby Wheels » Dec 17th, 2017, 1:28 pm

"I frequently see RCMP make illegal lane changes in intersections while turning left or right."


Getting off topic here. It's not like the movies where you park directly outside a bank robbery, or travel to a crime scene without traffic. You can't expect the RCMP to follow all the road rules fighting crime. The criminals don't. It ain't practical.

Speed cameras DO change speeding habits because they hit the wallet. Speed fines in Canada are a joke. In New Zealand for instance, the fine for exceeding 50 km/her is $750.00 plus lose your car for 30 days. (same as impounding in BC).
Speeding 10 km/hr over the speed limit is $90.00.

Traffic stops do work to a certain extent, but the RCMP cannot spare the troops on patrol. There are not sufficient safe pullover lanes for traffic stops. I agree, personal contact would be ideal as a prevention/educational tool), HENCE more reason for speed cameras to assist.

Most people do not realise, a civilian camera operator in a camera car can manually "flash" drivers without seatbelts, drivers on phones etc. The cameras are able to take 637 photos in the time a vehicle licence plate is in focus until out of focus. Speed cameras need to be installed in high risk traffic areas, with warning signage to avoid perceived ambush.


If Canada is serious about road safety they would equip the law enforcement agencies. Death by motor vehicle must be made a purely indictable crime. Although MADD do a great job, the message needs to start with the schools.
Last edited by Wheels on Dec 17th, 2017, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smurf likes this post.
Wheels
 
Posts: 32
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 12 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2005, 8:19 pm

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Postby Bman » Dec 17th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Are you condoning police making illegal lane changes when turning, when their emergency lights arent on?
Watch any intersection.
More than half the drivers out there don't know how to make a correct turn.
They make a wide turn and finish the turn in the wrong lane.
Imo the only drivers I see out there that consistently turn correctly are cab

As far as being off topic, my response is to the topic, traffic concerns.
Is the world getting stupider, or is it just getting easier for stupid people to have their thoughts heard?
User avatar
Bman
Mindquad
 
Posts: 27792
Likes: 11326 posts
Liked in: 8941 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 10:05 am
Location: Surrey-By-The-Lake

Next

Return to Trials & Tribulations of Traffic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest