WK 10 years old and 28 million in debt

vissfam

WK 10 years old and 28 million in debt

Post by vissfam »

West Kelowna,
10 years old and 28 million in debt.
2 million in reserves in case something bad happens.
That's all for now folks.
Page 4,5.
https://issuu.com/blackpress/docs/i20171124110222667
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: WK 10 years old and 28 million in debt

Post by Jflem1983 »

vissfam wrote:West Kelowna,
Page 4,5.

Thats not too bad. 28 million in debt. 30k people. 10k per person roughly.

I congratulate west Kelowna.

10 good years.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Jflem1983 wrote:
Page 4,5.

Thats not too bad. 28 million in debt. 30k people. 10k per person roughly.

I congratulate west Kelowna.

10 good years.

No.....under $1000 per person.
You and 71 others Like this post
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

I'm not too concerned about the debt as I am about the Council's insistence on providing regional district-quality of services in what, at least to me, seems like a blatantly obvious attempt to keep property taxes arbitrarily too low and prevent them from rising to try and prevent those that supported amalgamation with the City of Kelowna from saying, "I told you so!"

10 years ago, I voted to amalgamate with the City of Kelowna but accepted the incorporation vote and all I got was...6 extra elected local politicians and a mayor! I didn't even get a cheap t-shirt. :(

Edit: I feel like the Mayor & Council are like these people from this film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnqPrDN77Xg

Cheers,
Doug
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

forumdoug wrote:I'm not too concerned about the debt as I am about the Council's insistence on providing regional district-quality of services in what, at least to me, seems like a blatantly obvious attempt to keep property taxes arbitrarily too low and prevent them from rising to try and prevent those that supported amalgamation with the City of Kelowna from saying, "I told you so!"

10 years ago, I voted to amalgamate with the City of Kelowna but accepted the incorporation vote and all I got was...6 extra elected local politicians and a mayor! I didn't even get a cheap t-shirt. :(

Cheers,
Doug

Or the cast of The Wicker Man...
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
KK69

Post by KK69 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 16th, 2017, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
AltaRed
Fledgling

Post by AltaRed »

More importantly, we would have been forgotten as that poor sister across the bridge. With most of the councillors and people on the Kelowna side of the bridge, we would have not gotten our fair share of taxes back for re-investment into our community.
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

What's "The Wicker Man" about? ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

People act like kelowna hasn’t already been through multiple amalgamations. Rutland was once it’s own city. Glenmore, Mission, all areas that had to join the city of kelowna. Is Glenmore kelowna’s forgotten poor sister?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Just checking under my bed for some cash to help out. Sorry Government taxes got it...
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Govt are made to go in debt [icon_lol2.gif] anyone thinking otherwise should head to riverview
hupur
Fledgling

Post by hupur »

are you going to whine about it forever?Maybe its time to accept the fact that most people wanted to not join your little Kelowna club.We are far better off as our own entity,We have phenominal business growth and as the blight across the pond becomes to full of shacks with nowhere to expand,we,are the bright alternative to living over there.Maybe you could run for council and use your obvious financial intellect to lower the burden on the poor west kelowna taxpayers,oh and while your at it,change the name..get rid of the Kelowna stigma.
:biggrin:
forumdoug wrote:I'm not too concerned about the debt as I am about the Council's insistence on providing regional district-quality of services in what, at least to me, seems like a blatantly obvious attempt to keep property taxes arbitrarily too low and prevent them from rising to try and prevent those that supported amalgamation with the City of Kelowna from saying, "I told you so!"

Cheers,
Doug
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

maryjane48 wrote:Govt are made to go in debt [icon_lol2.gif] anyone thinking otherwise should head to riverview

Lol - except the government closed Riverview years ago....
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Page 4,5.

I read the article, technically there is $30 million in reserves.

Is the $30 million in reserves sitting somewhere earning a higher interest rate than the cost of the debt? Or maybe it is under Doug's mattress?

Is that $28 million debt growing due to interest?

In my personal finances I would pay off that debt if the interest was costing more than what my reserves were earning.
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

hupur wrote:are you going to whine about it forever?Maybe its time to accept the fact that most people wanted to not join your little Kelowna club.We are far better off as our own entity,We have phenominal business growth and as the blight across the pond becomes to full of shacks with nowhere to expand,we,are the bright alternative to living over there.Maybe you could run for council and use your obvious financial intellect to lower the burden on the poor west kelowna taxpayers,oh and while your at it,change the name..get rid of the Kelowna stigma.
:biggrin:

What *bleep* pipe dream are you living in? "Phenomenal business growth"? Westbank First Nation had some pretty good retail trade growth a number of years ago but it's been flat, to declining, the past 2-3 years. In the City of West Kelowna, on both a gross and a net (net of business bankruptcies and closures, that is), it's in decline. The economy is in shambles. If it weren't for the City of Kelowna, we'd be...Enderby*! ;)

Cheers,
Doug

* No offence to Enderby.

Return to “Central Okanagan”