Did you know?

Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Did you know?

Post by Always Sunny »

Dizzy1 wrote:Kinda reminds me of that story a few years back with the lady, after a night of drinking did the responsible thing and called for a cab - she went into her car, started it up to keep warm and Super Cop tried to get her a DUI.

If this story is true, and he simply moved his phone around then the cop over stepped the line.

Sat in her running car to wait for a cab and surprised she was slapped in an impaired? That’s a good one!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Always Sunny wrote:Sat in her running car to wait for a cab and surprised she was slapped in an impaired? That’s a good one!

You think someone deserves to be slapped with an impaired for sitting in a running car thats parked?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Always Sunny wrote:Sat in her running car to wait for a cab and surprised she was slapped in an impaired? That’s a good one!

You think someone deserves to be slapped with an impaired for sitting in a running car thats parked?

And what proof is there that you didn’t just drive that vehicle to the location the officer found you parked? Don’t be behind the wheel if any vehicle intoxicated. Lame excuse to have to be sitting in your running car. Any liquor serving establishment worth their license knows they can be held responsible for someone leaving intoxicated. No reason not to wait in a lobby for a taxi or friend to come.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

This was about hand held devices right ?

As much as I detest the distractions of the general motoring public.

I also find the story presented to us................
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Dad smacked out two cops for giving him an impaired in a parked car. Beat em both senseless then fd off to scotland for work. One of the few cool things dad ever did drunk
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Always Sunny wrote:And what proof is there that you didn’t just drive that vehicle to the location the officer found you parked?

And thats just it - proof. If the driver didn't have proof that they didn't drive the vehicle to the location, then the officer has no proof they did.
Always Sunny wrote:Don’t be behind the wheel if any vehicle intoxicated. Lame excuse to have to be sitting in your running car. Any liquor serving establishment worth their license knows they can be held responsible for someone leaving intoxicated. No reason not to wait in a lobby for a taxi or friend to come.

And this is where the line gets crossed between common sense and bureaucratic jibber jabber. The officer could have just as easily waited with the other driver to ensure they got in the cab and home safely.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dirtybiker wrote:This was about hand held devices right ?

As much as I detest the distractions of the general motoring public.

I also find the story presented to us................

Maybe it is, or maybe its just another example of a cop being a bit over zealous.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Dizzy1 wrote:Kinda reminds me of that story a few years back with the lady, after a night of drinking did the responsible thing and called for a cab - she went into her car, started it up to keep warm and Super Cop tried to get her a DUI.

If this story is true, and he simply moved his phone around then the cop over stepped the line.

The trouble is the story is so poorly written, jumping all over, that it's impossible to figure out what happened.

Where does Castanet get these people ?

The story starts out as though the driver is arriving, all of a sudden he's leaving.

The crux of the story seems to be "did you know that even if you are parked in a parking lot, if you have your vehicle running you could get a distracted driving ticket". This is not the law.

But again the story is so poorly written, you can't really tell.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I even sent a note to Castanet advising that they have published an alarmist story that indicated a legal act was illegal and suggested that they fully research the allegations instead of basing a story on the say so of a truck driver without exercising due diligence.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Jflem1983 wrote:Dad smacked out two cops for giving him an impaired in a parked car. Beat em both senseless then fd off to scotland for work. One of the few cool things dad ever did drunk

Sorry, but you have a warped sense of "cool things" a dad can do imho.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

WalterWhite wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Dad smacked out two cops for giving him an impaired in a parked car. Beat em both senseless then fd off to scotland for work. One of the few cool things dad ever did drunk

Sorry, but you have a warped sense of "cool things" a dad can do imho.

Well every other time he got drunk i usually caught the beating. So its good to hear a story or two now and again of someone else catching a dirty beating for no reason. Fair is fair. :up:
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

KelownaCrackinCrew wrote:I know a constable in town here that think's traffic police are a bunch of lazy you know what's, he's right. :up:

Heard the same comment from ACTUAL police officers that are doing POLICE WORK. Was told Kelowna Traffic Services is manned by those that are lacking ability to do police work or have been placed in the traffic division by superiors because they show no interest in advancing past writing tickets. I have met ONE traffic officer that came across as intelligent and pocessed a reasoning ability. "Affirmative Action" is on display bigtime with Kelowna Traffic Services. Working traffic is simple and that EXTRA time and a half to attend traffic court has added upwards of $10,000 or more yearly to their salary. One lawyer in town mentioned some traffic officers have pulled in close to $20,000. When you have some time.........go to traffic court and watch, it is worth the price of admission.
Last edited by lesliepaul on Dec 16th, 2017, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

my5cents wrote:I even sent a note to Castanet advising that they have published an alarmist story that indicated a legal act was illegal and suggested that they fully research the allegations instead of basing a story on the say so of a truck driver without exercising due diligence.

Yes fully agree. A good journalist would have researched the story and attempted to get ALL the facts by interviewing driver and police and any witnesses if possible.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

dodgerdodge wrote:
my5cents wrote:I even sent a note to Castanet advising that they have published an alarmist story that indicated a legal act was illegal and suggested that they fully research the allegations instead of basing a story on the say so of a truck driver without exercising due diligence.

Yes fully agree. A good journalist would have researched the story and attempted to get ALL the facts by interviewing driver and police and any witnesses if possible.

Keyword is highlighted. :)
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Does anyone know if this story hit a larger news sight or major paper? Castanet as usual puts out a blip and does not follow up with any kind of investigation to get actual facts from people MUCH higher up the food chain than this local judge. Sounds like the Traffic Services Officer and the judge were having a bad day..........probably found out their wives served them both with divorce papers and could not think with some reasoning ability.

All of this distracted driving and laws came from ONE activity............TEXTING. Before texting caught on, using a phone to talk was not newsworthy. I said it years ago, the government will enact laws (and rightfully so) to curb the use of phones and texting while driving. What happens after is our governments see MONEY and take it to this ridiculous point. Would like to hear what our provincial Transport Minister has to say on this...........both Todd Stone (past) and Dave Eby (present).

Return to “Central Okanagan”