Housing crash on the horizon

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Housing crash on the horizon

Post by alanjh595 »

As much as I am pro-ownership, I do believe that there is a "correction" coming in the very near future. Will it be a "crash"? NO, but listings will take longer to sell. I also believe that Kelowna and the rest of the Okanagan will not feel the same effects as the lower mainland will feel.
It's about location, location, location......and of course timing. The ones that feel the least affect will be those that have bought with the intention of living in and staying put for the long-term. It's the speculators and the flippers that will be hurt the greatest.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Roadhog

Post by Roadhog »

I don't understand why it is greed to want to sell your home at the best possible price. For most people owning a home is the biggest single investment they will make, so of course they want to get the most benefit for themselves and their family. I presume from what the OP writes, that he would sell his home for less than market value in order to help someone who wants to get into the market at a lower price?
dkopp

Post by dkopp »

I have a house I bought for a mil last yr, but I still believe it will go down. I only purchased this house out of necessity, and not because I didn't want to rent. I actually couldn't find a rental that I needed, and had to buy a house.

I know it sounds insane to buy a million dollar house out of necessity, but it was.

I still think it will go down. I have seen it in the US, UK, Japan, ..etc.

One thing in common with all bubbles are that majority believe that it won't go down. Which is very much the same in the Okanagan.

Same was said with many places like Florida. Look at it now. Dirt Cheap, and haven't come up since the drop really.

So, I would say the correction is coming soon. At least I think so.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Roadhog wrote:I don't understand why it is greed to want to sell your home at the best possible price. For most people owning a home is the biggest single investment they will make, so of course they want to get the most benefit for themselves and their family. I presume from what the OP writes, that he would sell his home for less than market value in order to help someone who wants to get into the market at a lower price?

If you are going to address me in a snarky tone I would expect you to actually read my OP more carefully. You're way too imaginative, I've never suggested anyone sell their properties or at what price.
Last edited by Scrobins94 on Dec 17th, 2017, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I feel if things slow a little , it'll all make up for it by September, with no effect on prices.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

KelownaCrackinCrew wrote:How many of you people on here actually own homes? :biggrin: And I don't mean mortgage I mean actually paid off...

Paid off in full.
Waste not
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Scrobins94 wrote:The particulars of my housing situation are none of your business. :up:

Please feel free to discuss without getting defensive. :smt045

Never did I say Kelowna is not a hot prospect in the long term.

Likewise, don't forget Kelowna wasn't immune to the 2008 crash. How many projects did not take off that time? E.g. The Monaco, Kelowna 24, downtown hotel, are just some examples. Wait. They haven't take off this round either.

The problem with crashes is that usually they are preceded by a sense of greed - mixed with a feeling of invencibility.

Don't just listen to your average realtor, they are motivated per transaction.

2008 crash ? guess I slept through that one
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

LTD wrote:
Scrobins94 wrote:The particulars of my housing situation are none of your business. :up:

Likewise, don't forget Kelowna wasn't immune to the 2008 crash. How many projects did not take off that time? E.g. The Monaco, Kelowna 24, downtown hotel, are just some examples. Wait. They haven't take off this round either.

The problem with crashes is that usually they are preceded by a sense of greed - mixed with a feeling of invencibility.

2008 crash ? guess I slept through that one

It was a real thing. Condos in weatbank were 50 percent off had huge 50 percent off tags on balconies
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I thought 2008 slaughtered Florida and Arizona and most of USA but hardly affected the Okanagan.

That's what I remember.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

Here is a prediction. Housing prices will drop them go up then drop etc. etc. but they will always go up over time. Now I'm an economist:)
The US median house price is above 2008 levels.
It took the Okanagan about 5 years for median house prices to reach 2008 levels so there was a dip but it's far surpassed 2008 levels now.
Unless you move to a different market or are a first time buyer it doesn't really matter.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

LTD wrote:

Jflem1983 wrote:2008 crash ? guess I slept through that one

It was a real thing. Condos in weatbank were 50 percent off had huge 50 percent off tags on balconies

Agree. :up:

It certainly wasn't as bad here as it was in some parts of the US, and other parts of Canada, but nonetheless it most certainly had an effect here too.

Though there are more examples the main ones that come to mind for me, are the Conservatory project went belly up, one of the towers that had begun construction on Sunset Drive was abandoned, and in the Mission area SOPA Square went under at least once, but I believe two times even.

Other projects such as Waterscapes simply scaled down their original plans, as that one has some of the underground garage, and footings for the final phase of condos, already poured, but the developer walked away at that stage due to the crash.

Just because some took no notice doesn't mean it didn't happen here too.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

LTD wrote:2008 crash ? guess I slept through that one

I would have thought it was widely publicised and properties were not holding their money. We bought in 2007 when prices were at a high, it took years before we saw our home become worth more than we paid back then.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

There is a perfectly good and viable Housing Thread in Bickering room where predictions are made regularly and are respectfully received.

Why another thread? Join in the fun! :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Catsumi wrote:There is a perfectly good and viable Housing Thread in Bickering room where predictions are made regularly and are respectfully received.

Why another thread? Join in the fun! :biggrin:

:spitcoffee: yes, respectfully alright!! I'm hoping to bridge over to a slightly bigger house, so I respectfully say, "bring it."
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
PocoGirl

Post by PocoGirl »

Grandan wrote:
KelownaCrackinCrew wrote:How many of you people on here actually own homes? :biggrin: And I don't mean mortgage I mean actually paid off...

Paid off in full.

I’m 100% paid off :smt045

Return to “Central Okanagan”