Cannabis, Marijuana the Legalization of it.

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Cannabis, Marijuana the Legalization of it.

Post by Anonymous123 »

Anonymous123 wrote:The best solution to the possible problems associated with legalization can be addressed by treating marijuana in the same manner as alcohol. Sell it in liquor stores and apply the same management to MJ as they do to booze. Taxes,suppliers, no open smoking, age limit, and the list goes on. These are all addressed by provincial government liquor control boards. As far as testing for impairment, wasn't there a recent story about a UBCO professor inventing a hand held device that could detect marijuana on your breath?

Edited to add:

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/ubc-okanagan-researcher-develops-marijuana-breathalyzer/article29694086/?ref=https://www.theglobeandmail.com&

capleton wrote:I just showed you links in previous threads(which you completely ignored) that dispensaries reduces the opiate crisis and helps people. What is your hard on for liquor store bureaucracies? you have to be the worst dude dawning the Anonymous label I have ever encountered.

And yet the government see fit to regulate the the distribution of marijuana through the liquor board model. I guess for most people it's not enough to legalize marijuana, now they want to de-regulate it. Never enough is it. You don't need dispensaries! People will soon enough go to liquor stores for recreational weed and drug stores for medical marijuana, which is where one should get their medical marijuana from. Go to any drug store and hang around for a few hours. People coming in for their methadone (free I might add) will be no different than people coming in for weed. Dispensaries are passé once it's legal.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Well we do have private liquor retailers, large and small, chain and independent. That could work for pot too, I'm sure there are small grow ops out there servicing the demand for medical stuff, why not extend that to smaller producers? Like artisan distilleries.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Anonymous123 wrote:The best solution to the possible problems associated with legalization can be addressed by treating marijuana in the same manner as alcohol. Sell it in liquor stores and apply the same management to MJ as they do to booze. Taxes,suppliers, no open smoking, age limit, and the list goes on. These are all addressed by provincial government liquor control boards. As far as testing for impairment, wasn't there a recent story about a UBCO professor inventing a hand held device that could detect marijuana on your breath?

Edited to add:

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/ubc-okanagan-researcher-develops-marijuana-breathalyzer/article29694086/?ref=https://www.theglobeandmail.com&

It should be treated similar to alcohol but not the same. Recovering alcoholics should not have to go to a liquor store to purchase marijuana. Dispensaries offer a valuable service and should be able to operate same as they do now except legally.

And I don't think the driving issue is really a big deal. The studies I have seen show some people actually drive better after using marijuana. Especially those on the ADHD spectrum. There's other studies that show high accident rates for those found with marijuana in their system but they also had alcohol and other substances as well. Of course the headlines don't disclose that. Or the fact that it stays in your body long after it's effects have passed. We need to means test drivers not just look for x amount of a substance. We also need to be able to determine if an accident occured directly because of the substance. People with no substances in their body get in accidents all the time. Each incident needs to be looked at individually.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

JLives wrote:[Or the fact that it stays in your body long after it's effects have passed. We need to means test drivers not just look for x amount of a substance. We also need to be able to determine if an accident occured directly because of the substance.

And that in a nutshell is the elephant in the room when it comes to the legal use of weed be it medical or recreational. Personally I am all for getting rid of draconian laws as they pertain to weed. But I also have to acknowledge that there is a valid point being made by those concerned about impairment and how is it to be defined and/or measured??? Then I also have to be honest about the size of the elephant and ask if the weed elephant weighs more than the elephant of perfectly legal prescription drug trade of opiates, antidepressant happy pills, yada yada, that are far more widely used and yet there is no test for impairment for those either.
You can't get a job in the oil patch if you smoked weed in the previous 2-4 weeks but you're good to show up for a shift with a doctor script for oxy pills for back pain and use them WHILE you work.
Personally, I would rather work next to someone that smoked weed last night when they got off shift than someone who was on prescription pain meds while at work with me. Just saying....
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”