Wrist broken during arrest

twobits
Guru

Re: Wrist broken during arrest

Post by twobits »

my5cents wrote: It is the responsibility of the authorities to insure the suspect is properly cared for. That is what we do in our society.

Two days to get treatment ? Shattered wrist ? Needs to be rebroken to properly heal ?

Just plain wrong. Trouble brewing here.

The only trouble brewing here is what we are doing in our society these days with respect to criminal behaviour. It seems to me that criminal rights have superseded the rights of the victims of crime and society as a whole. And quite frankly, it scares the chit out of me when we hamstring law enforcement with fear of lawsuit or loss of job if some crackhead cries foul and people like you come out in defense of their rights. You have no idea of what actually occurred during the arrest and how the injury was obtained. Did he resist? Did it even happen upon arrest?
Bottom line is you are foreshadowing trouble without adequate information so your presumption is both baseless, unhelpful, and another reason why law enforcement is handcuffed with fear of their actions in their response to criminals. There are chity cops to be sure. Like the head kicker in Kelowna last year. But the pendulum has swung so far that it seems when a minor injury to a criminal happens, an internal investigation or inquiry is required. And that is just more money wasted rather than spent on actual police work in the streets.
Last edited by twobits on Dec 16th, 2017, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/174403/locked-up-for-hold-up ,ya that it ,its the cops fault :200: only in kelowna, the guy if a junkie goof with a criminal record a mile long,

What does Kelowna have to do with this? I thought this is happening in Penticton and Oliver.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

twobits wrote:The only trouble brewing here is what we are doing in our society these days with respect to criminal behaviour. It seems to me that criminal rights have superseded the rights of the victims of crime and society as a whole. And quite frankly, it scares the chit out of me when we hamstring law enforcement with fear of lawsuit or loss of job if some crackhead cries foul and people like you come out in defense of their rights. You have no idea of what actually occurred during the arrest and how the injury was obtained. Did he resist? Did it even happen upon arrest?
Bottom line is you are foreshadowing trouble without adequate information so your presumption is both baseless, unhelpful, and another reason why law enforcement is handcuffed with fear of their actions in their response to criminals. There are chity cops to be sure. Like the head kicker in Kelowna last year. But the pendulum has swung so far that it seems when a minor injury to a criminal happens, an internal investigation or inquiry is required. And that is just more money wasted rather than spent on actual police work in the streets.

Perhaps you should read my post on the previous page. I took no position with how this person received his injury. My position was directed at the duty of care the authorities owed the subject once in custody.

You can't hold someone in custody and withhold medical treatment.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

my5cents wrote:Perhaps you should read my post on the previous page. I took no position with how this person received his injury. My position was directed at the duty of care the authorities owed the subject once in custody.

You can't hold someone in custody and withhold medical treatment.

Two days to get treatment ? Shattered wrist ? Needs to be rebroken to properly heal ?

Just plain wrong. Trouble brewing here.

You made your comments based on the defense assertions alone. It may be completely fabricated and a lie. That is what the defense does now days. Our messed up system of advocating for criminals and trying anything to get them to walk the streets is broken. There is no proof to any claim that medical treatment was not provided right away. You allude to this criminals injury at the hands of the police without any proof. Shameful.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

my5cents wrote:You can't hold someone in custody and withhold medical treatment.

And you automatically assumed medical treatment was withheld based on what a defense lawyer claimed? Lol. Even the judge requested further info rather than accept the defense argument of abuse of rights. If the cops falsified the report of immediate medical attention given to the appropriate level, they will be crucified for it. You should try not to be the judge in the matter when all the relevant facts have not yet been made available.
Fortunately the Judge in this case saw fit, unlike yourself, to challenge the assertions of the defense council with some supporting evidence.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

JagXKR wrote:You made your comments based on the defense assertions alone. It may be completely fabricated and a lie. That is what the defense does now days. Our messed up system of advocating for criminals and trying anything to get them to walk the streets is broken. There is no proof to any claim that medical treatment was not provided right away. You allude to this criminals injury at the hands of the police without any proof. Shameful.

Actually I made my comments based on a media report of what the judge has asked for. A report confirming or disprooving that the injuries were untreated for two days.

In jail/prison enviroments, notes are made of events such as prisoners asking for treatment, or refusing treatment.

Your statement that "there is no proof to any claim that medical treatment was not provided" is incomplete. The judge has asked for information from the hospital to see what they say.

I've never "alluded" to this criminal's injuries were at the hands of the police. I in fact said i didn't care how they were sustained. Very likely they were caused by the police and likely justified.

You haven't read my posts,,, shameful.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Just plain wrong.

Your words not mine. Your statement not mine. If you are saying "if" the defense allegations are true then that is wrong, I agree. Your quoted statement does not lead anyone to believe that was your intent. If you worded your statement more carefully there would be less confusion.
I and possibly others read it as an accusation.
If the criminal did actually get medical treatment then the criminal and the lawyer should be held accountable for the lie. But in our broken system that won't happen. The lawyer can lie and will receive no repercussions.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

smoky500 wrote:If the bones had to be rebroken, the fracture had to have happened more than 2 days previously, bones take longer than that to heal. They often wait 2 or 3 days before doing surgery to allow the swelling to go down and they don't have to rebreak anything. Most likely broken a few weeks before the arrest.

I've gone to hospital after a couple of days because I wondered if I had a broken bone. Was never concerned that anything would have to be rebroken - not enough time had lapsed.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

JagXKR wrote:Your words not mine. Your statement not mine. If you are saying "if" the defense allegations are true then that is wrong, I agree. Your quoted statement does not lead anyone to believe that was your intent. If you worded your statement more carefully there would be less confusion.
I and possibly others read it as an accusation.
If the criminal did actually get medical treatment then the criminal and the lawyer should be held accountable for the lie. But in our broken system that won't happen. The lawyer can lie and will receive no repercussions.

Well the lawyer would be presenting to the court, what he was told, how could the lawyer be "lying" when passing on information told to him by his client. I don't think for a second the lawyer is saying he has first hand knowledge of any of this.

Of course there is something wrong with the handling of the medical problem ONLY if the accused is telling the truth.

We'll see what the medical people say. Hard to believe the accused refused treatment for a broken wrist, but we'll see.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Bear in mind that for many at the shadowy end of society, a measure of "success" is how well you can work the system. Getting a doctor to sign off on drug addiction can get a welfare recipient promoted to permanent disability which pays a couple or three hundred more a month. That's considered a win in some circles.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:Bear in mind that for many at the shadowy end of society, a measure of "success" is how well you can work the system. Getting a doctor to sign off on drug addiction can get a welfare recipient promoted to permanent disability which pays a couple or three hundred more a month. That's considered a win in some circles.

Actually a really good point Fluff. At what point did we abrogate the authority to doctors to spend tax dollars for a disability pension without some kind of check and balance. I can see a lot of doctors just signing off to get people out of their office.
Same for social workers.

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -B-E-spree

Information heard in Penticton court on Friday indicated Bell originally injured his right wrist while mountain biking in the summer. The court also heard that he had re-aggravated the injury two days before his arrest.

With a lack of definitive proof that police had directly caused Bell's injury, Daneliuk determined that, at worst, the arrest exasperated his pre-existing injury.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Theres an awful lot of people on here who are pretty gung ho for taking peoples rights away. Thats a slippery slope your on, you should be careful on your road to fascism.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GUYS LIKE HIM-CRIMINALS- proven criminals with a track record should have zero rights
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 16th, 2018, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

Return to “South Okanagan”