Violence at Homeless Camp...

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Violence at Homeless Camp...

Post by Queen K »

For some 10 rules are ten too many.

I published various rule lists from various other shelters to give scope to the issue of rules and what consitutites too many.

I even thought people would go through them and bring up why this rule would be there as opposed to say no rule about the subject at all.

How about the rule of using the internet for only work searches or finding accomodation? ONLY. Too hard of a rule? Debate as to why it's good or not.

I still haven't found the list of what is thought to be "too many," did you?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Queen K wrote:For some 10 rules are ten too many.

Which is true regardless of whether a person owns a house or not.

Queen K wrote:I published various rule lists from various other shelters to give scope to the issue of rules and what consitutites too many.

I even thought people would go through them and bring up why this rule would be there as opposed to say no rule about the subject at all.

How about the rule of using the internet for only work searches or finding accomodation? ONLY. Too hard of a rule? Debate as to why it's good or not.

I don't feel comfortable making generalizations. A rule that is fine for one homeless person isn't necessarily fine for another. Group situations have so many shortcoming especially when mentally ill people with special needs are involved.

Queen K wrote:I still haven't found the list of what is thought to be "too many," did you?

No, I haven't. It's not a priority of mine to find out. Seeing disadvantaged people being helped on a case-by-case basis is far more important to me. I've tried to suggest individual people have individual needs a few times but it's ignored in favour of short-sighted thinking that everyone is the same and everyone should or can be living by the same rules.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
We are a society built on flawed rules that don't take into account the needs of people who are more like a rectangle trying to fit into a circle space. This is especially true for homeless people who quite often have some kind of disorder.

We are also a society that defends criminals to the detriment of law abiding citizens. That some in society blame law abiding citizens for wanting their hard earned property and valuables protected. That does not happen due to the system releasing chronic offenders and not having consecutive sentencing occur with more frequency. A system that does not mandate that those offenders be treated, regardless of their wishes, before being released to victimize law abiding citizens again. Giving the offenders a choice to have or not to have treatment is wrong. But the apologists for the criminals will continue to be the real cause of recidivism.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I believe that the courts fail to inflict more harsher sentences in this country is largely due to the lack of government funding to either imprison or monitor these criminals.
We, (the citizens) don't want to pay taxes to incarcerate or have better or more probation/parole officers to control them. The problem lies with the public and their desire to pay.
MONTREAL - Canadians taxpayers dished out an average of $113,974 to lodge an inmate in a federal prison last year - a 30% increase from four years ago. The annual $2.3-billion bill for the country's 53 penitentiaries works out to $312 per prisoner, per day, according to the latest annual report from Corrections Canada.
Bring back the LIKE button.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

JagXKR wrote:We are also a society that defends criminals to the detriment of law abiding citizens. That some in society blame law abiding citizens for wanting their hard earned property and valuables protected. That does not happen due to the system releasing chronic offenders and not having consecutive sentencing occur with more frequency. A system that does not mandate that those offenders be treated, regardless of their wishes, before being released to victimize law abiding citizens again. Giving the offenders a choice to have or not to have treatment is wrong. But the apologists for the criminals will continue to be the real cause of recidivism.

What does this paragraph have to do with homeless people? The violence at the camp started because someone got in the face of another in a threatening manner.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Yet, if a homeowner catches a homeless person in their garage taking their stuff, the homeowner is chastised for taking affirmative action to stop being ripped off.

A homeless person, living on public property has more rights to protect his claim, but a homeowner that catches an invader in his own home has less rights to protect his private property?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!!!
Bring back the LIKE button.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

JagXKR wrote:
HorganIsMyHero wrote:
We are a society built on flawed rules that don't take into account the needs of people who are more like a rectangle trying to fit into a circle space. This is especially true for homeless people who quite often have some kind of disorder.

We are also a society that defends criminals to the detriment of law abiding citizens. That some in society blame law abiding citizens for wanting their hard earned property and valuables protected. That does not happen due to the system releasing chronic offenders and not having consecutive sentencing occur with more frequency. A system that does not mandate that those offenders be treated, regardless of their wishes, before being released to victimize law abiding citizens again. Giving the offenders a choice to have or not to have treatment is wrong. But the apologists for the criminals will continue to be the real cause of recidivism.

I agree with JagXKR totally. Funny how, if a person is caught and charged with, say, crimes of aggression, they are sometimes directed by the Court to complete anger management courses, and report to probation officers regularly etc. and if alcohol is involved the Judge sometimes orders they abstain from any alcohol or drugs and submit to random drug testing requests. I really don't recall hearing of a case where a Judge, if the case even gets to Court, has sentenced an addict who has committed a crime to serve his/her sentence in rehab, and to submit to random drug testing requests after release, failure to comply with either resulting in a trip to the hoosegow to start the sentence from scratch. They aren't usually even arrested unless they have committed a forceable entry or armed robbery. If it is your garden variety robbery, oh well, that's what insurance is what you'll hear when you try to report it, or here's a incident report #, just call your insurance company.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly and that is why ,they will never get pity from me , we see it in the news every day , junkies getting away with crime every day just because they are poor little junkies--left wing nutjobs f this all up
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

It was great to see the backhoe in there loading their junk to be hauled away. Someone showed signs of a backbone.
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “B.C.”