Ajax rejected

erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Ajax rejected

Post by erinmore3775 »

Fortunately, it was not just the "environmentalist nuts" or the Indigenous Nations that lived near the proposed Ajax mine that opposed the granting of the permit. "...The City of Kamloops biggest concern was the potential hazards of a tailings pond. The city’s own consultant addressed those concerns somewhat, leaving dust from the mine’s operations as the biggest concern for Kamloops residents.
"The mine would be located just two kilometres from a residential area. An EAO report cited air quality concerns as one of the determining factors for rejection the project. http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/kamloops-council-opposes-proposed-ajax-mine/

The major concern was the tailings pond. Now if KGHM International Ltd., a Polish company, and B.C.’s Abacus Mining & Exploration Corp., had only proposed a solidification process for the management of the mine tailings, it is my opinion that the mine would have been approved. The Mount Polley disaster certainly put tailing ponds, controlled by earthen dams, in a new perspective. The fact that the mine and its pond would be located so close to urban development was a critical factor in its rejection.

The jobs could have been saved and the companies involved bottom lines improved if they had only decided that newer technology for tailings and dust control had been proposed.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

erinmore3775 wrote:Fortunately, it was not just the "environmentalist nuts" or the Indigenous Nations that lived near the proposed Ajax mine that opposed the granting of the permit. "...The City of Kamloops biggest concern was the potential hazards of a tailings pond. The city’s own consultant addressed those concerns somewhat, leaving dust from the mine’s operations as the biggest concern for Kamloops residents.
"The mine would be located just two kilometres from a residential area. An EAO report cited air quality concerns as one of the determining factors for rejection the project. http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/kamloops-council-opposes-proposed-ajax-mine/

The major concern was the tailings pond. Now if KGHM International Ltd., a Polish company, and B.C.’s Abacus Mining & Exploration Corp., had only proposed a solidification process for the management of the mine tailings, it is my opinion that the mine would have been approved. The Mount Polley disaster certainly put tailing ponds, controlled by earthen dams, in a new perspective. The fact that the mine and its pond would be located so close to urban development was a critical factor in its rejection.

The jobs could have been saved and the companies involved bottom lines improved if they had only decided that newer technology for tailings and dust control had been proposed.

AH, so they tried to go cheap from the get-go. It will be interesting to see if they come back in the New Year with a new proposal addressing these very issues, or not.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

erinmore3775 wrote:Fortunately, it was not just the "environmentalist nuts" or the Indigenous Nations that lived near the proposed Ajax mine that opposed the granting of the permit. "...The City of Kamloops biggest concern was the potential hazards of a tailings pond. The city’s own consultant addressed those concerns somewhat, leaving dust from the mine’s operations as the biggest concern for Kamloops residents.

Thats actually a good point. Why cant they make cement out of the tailings and get rid of it that way. Put even more people to work
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11595-012-0486-3

http://arizona.openrepository.com/arizona/handle/10150/268596

" Why cant they make cement out of the tailings and get rid of it that way. Put even more people to work...

The above articles outline that process. While it would not necessarily be appropriate in the New Prosperity case it may have been appropriate in the Ajax Mine proposal. There are other solidification processes available to mining companies, however, they are more expensive than the traditional tailings pond.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

Jflem1983 wrote:[
Thats actually a good point. Why cant they make cement out of the tailings and get rid of it that way. Put even more people to work

I think there'd be a significant volume of tailings from that (or any) mine that couldn't be used to make cement but dust control is definitely available and tailings ponds shouldn't be allowed to be rubber stamped by a company owned engineer to allow double it's original design capacity.
The corporations capable of the enormous task of extracting these minerals have proven time and again that the can't regulate themselves in the best interests of we the owners of the bounty they process. So governing bodies have to do it for them.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

There you two ^^^^^^^^ go again. Making reasonable suggestions, just to cloud up the emotional waters of irrational leftist thinking.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ultimately, this version of the Ajax mine got rejected.

I suspect there will be a new, improved, cleaned up proposal in 2018 or even 2019.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

They will probably try again with a revised plan, but I doubt it will get accepted either. It won't be rejected because of native issues, it will be rejected due to the environmental heath issues of the local townsfolk.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Its on native land .its finished until the natives agree . [icon_lol2.gif]
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Queen K wrote:Ultimately, this version of the Ajax mine got rejected.

I suspect there will be a new, improved, cleaned up proposal in 2018 or even 2019.

Wont matter .its dead for ever until the natives say yes . Canada,is heading into different times .the days of cowboy colonialism is coming to a end :130:
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ Yes and the SJW's sitting at home on mom's couch will lead the charge. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

erinmore3775 wrote:https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11595-012-0486-3

http://arizona.openrepository.com/arizona/handle/10150/268596

" Why cant they make cement out of the tailings and get rid of it that way. Put even more people to work...

The above articles outline that process. While it would not necessarily be appropriate in the New Prosperity case it may have been appropriate in the Ajax Mine proposal. There are other solidification processes available to mining companies, however, they are more expensive than the traditional tailings pond.

According to a CBC news report, the approval process for the Ajax mine may continue:
"While the provincial government decided not to issue an environmental assessment certificate this week, the project is now before the federal government which could issue its own certificate and then send it back to the province for review."

Well, we all know how that turns out. Trudeau has a history of issuing environmental assessment certificates after provinces and First Nations reject projects. And as for KGHM spending money to clean up their act, that's not likely to happen.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4452147
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The "natives" were not the predominate factor in this decision. The Township has been fighting longer and harder than the "come lately natives". it was the White people that put the kibosh on this project, not the natives.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

alanjh595 wrote:The "natives" were not the predominate factor in this decision. The Township has been fighting longer and harder than the "come lately natives". it was the White people that put the kibosh on this project, not the natives.

Why is this so important to you? Nobody else cares who or what the 'predominate factor' was. The right decision was made. End of story.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

UhHuhYeahSure wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Mining companies have a sordid history in B.C. since 2001. In just one example, Imperial Metals knew they could get away with bypassing environmental assessments by slipping thousands of dollars into the BC Liberal war chest. They were even allowed to re-open the Mt. Polley mine operation without ever taking any responsibility for the environmentally disastrous results of their tailings pond breach. Guess who's paying for that? The BC taxpayers, that's who.

Now Ajax is surprised that the NDP have rejected another mining disaster in the making? Well, boo :cuss: hoo!

Cactusflower... Do you even know what is mine tailings? A soup of "toxic sludge" as Global TV continued to report months after the spill? Full of poisons that killed fish and birds and antelope in every direction? A scourge that will last for decades and result in 3 eyed frogs for centuries?

Educate yourself. Mine tailings is crushed and pulverized rock. At Mt Poly, it's quartz and feldspar and biotite. It's sand! The minerals that could be considered toxic have been taken out. That's what mines do. Take minerals out of rock and leave...sand. The water quality in the tailings is better than many communities drinking water.

The cost incurred in "cleaning up" the mud was nothing more than government imposed protocol in placating eco-hysteria ignorance and a sense of tidy English Garden wilderness mentality.

Mt Polly was a mud flow...nothing more, nothing less. It's powdered rock. But just because it came from a mine (BTW, that employed over 300 people at wages most people reading this would drool over), it's evil, wicked and nasty. If it had come down a hillside all by itself, well, that's just nature.

And it's only the conservative nature of the mining industry that stops them from taking the media to court to sue their axes off for reporting pure fabricated drama and ignoring the science and the truth.

Mining in BC is sooooo over regulated based on bleatings of the PERCEPTIONS of an ill guided and ignorant population. It takes on average 15 years from the date of discovery to the first metal produced to get a mine into production. All of that time is spent satisfying truckloads of ecological, social and native regulations.

Well...actually it did take 15 years. Serious mining companies have left the province and gone to countries that welcome the technology, ecological research, workplace safety mentality, taxation and training and income it provides their people.

YeahYeahSureSure...go ahead and spew the "pillage and plunder" ignorant rhetoric of investing hundreds of millions of dollars in other countries. If you really believe that, at least just keep buying all the metal products now provided from those countries to keep the mining companies happy.

In the meantime, BC is off to a rosy future of growing and smoking legal pot and returning land to a native population that thinks it can live in the past.

I am noting what you've said here and it's interesting to me that some people wish to make more of it than you are willing to do so.

Why is that?

What is the truth on the Mt. Polly Mine, was it a huge environmental disaster or was it "just a mud flow"?

Asking for a friend.

Return to “B.C.”