What is the total of new Townhomes in Glenmore 1000+??

TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Re: What is the total of new Townhomes in Glenmore 1000+??

Post by TMBOkanagan »

Queen K wrote:You took exception to the word "horrified" but I take exception to the idea I don't want people to get educated. We're even.

I'm looking at traffic capacity. I hate it when people argue about the handy dandy bus system we have going because it's neither handy nor dandy. Until it is, we have traffic jams and insufficient infrastructure.

It’s the chicken and the egg syndrome. The bus system can’t be expanded until people start using it. People aren’t using it because it’s not expanded.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Queen K wrote:You took exception to the word "horrified" but I take exception to the idea I don't want people to get educated. We're even.

I'm looking at traffic capacity. I hate it when people argue about the handy dandy bus system we have going because it's neither handy nor dandy. Until it is, we have traffic jams and insufficient infrastructure.

UBCO has made it easy for students to ride the bus by including a bus pass with their student fees. That and making the cost of parking all the more expensive. That is what brings down the volume of traffic and reduces future impacts.

Asking the question does not make you something it is more a rhetorical but divisive means of asking how you could be opposed to something linked together as they are. I just see it as a good natural fit as opposed to building the housing in the Mission or West Kelowna. I think it one of many good planning objectives. If you are horrified by this building boom be assured that it cannot last, all the available land will be gobbled up and developers will be picking away at the bones of what is 50 year old housing stock. It will shift the focus of development more to outlying communities surrounding Kelowna.
As the boomers die off the market will adjust to the change.
Waste not
Tack

Post by Tack »

lightspeed wrote:
Tack wrote:Seriously?? You think that area of Glenmore is ghetto? Clearly you haven't left the care home in a while because that is not what a ghetto looks like. Home ownership for young families, growing businesses and low crime is not a ghetto...

Maybe it's time you move up to Beaverdell you're so scared of "Progress". Face the facts, people are moving to the Okanagan and Kelowna; we can't continue urban sprawl of single family homes because this won't meet the needs of the future. SFH are also wasteful for energy and space. I'd rather see more larger central parks than unused front-yards that are only exist to be mowed weekly and suck up water.

Another hippy idealistic Basran-voting millennial dreamer who wants a 600 sf condo.

Nothing wrong with Beaverdell. Beats row upon row of wood framed condo hovels inhabited by drug dealers and single cell amoeba.

I can't tell if you're a troll or just a really bitter old man. You go on to insult everyone living in a wood-framed condo as drug dealers and single-celled amoeba...You really have no point to argue on but personal insults. The fact that others agree with you is also disturbing, I can probably guess you're all over 55 and are resistant to any change. Personally I would not vote for Basran and I own a home not a condo.

The housing is good for everyone because Kelowna has been inundated with single-family homes which are not affordable for young families. I see you hate population and expansion which I why I suggested you move out of the city and leaver some room for people who want to live here. The traffic is not that bad in this city, I know it may seem that way to those of you who lived here 50 years and are used to small town living. Compared to a large city it could use improvement but isn't the worst traffic I've been in. If we don't allow density in multi-family developments then we will keep building up the sides of the mountains further exasperating the urban sprawl problems. Glenmore is an area that is ripe for denser population.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

[quote="Tack" Glenmore is an area that is ripe for denser population.[/quote]

And we all know the most lucrative crop to plant is people, then harvest
their wallets...
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Tack wrote:I can't tell if you're a troll or just a really bitter old man. You go on to insult everyone living in a wood-framed condo as drug dealers and single-celled amoeba...You really have no point to argue on but personal insults. The fact that others agree with you is also disturbing, I can probably guess you're all over 55 and are resistant to any change. Personally I would not vote for Basran and I own a home not a condo.

The housing is good for everyone because Kelowna has been inundated with single-family homes which are not affordable for young families. I see you hate population and expansion which I why I suggested you move out of the city and leaver some room for people who want to live here. The traffic is not that bad in this city, I know it may seem that way to those of you who lived here 50 years and are used to small town living. Compared to a large city it could use improvement but isn't the worst traffic I've been in. If we don't allow density in multi-family developments then we will keep building up the sides of the mountains further exasperating the urban sprawl problems. Glenmore is an area that is ripe for denser population.

Kelowna/the Okanagan used to be nice. Now it's just becoming another densely busy populated urban ghetto. It attracts the scum of the lower mainland, and as it always has, the flotsam and jetsam of Alberta. Itinerants and wandering opportunists. People live and act as if they're still in the big city. They treat their fellow residents and everyday people such as grocery clerks as if they're scum. A bunch of stuck up nobodies driving around in their Acura's and BMW's as if they're all that. Noses stuck up in the air, eyes glued on the cellphones as they drive along oblivious to what this place means.

Resisting change means preserving the good. The honest, The decent. The laid back. The polite. The people that respect our community and our society.

The Okanagan is changing for sure and not for the better. A vast influx of ignorant rushy-rushy me-me city folks and predatory scum.....

I feel sorry for people that don't know how nice the Okanagan used to be. You have no understanding of how it's being ruined.
Last edited by lightspeed on Dec 17th, 2017, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Roger that Gordon Gecko...

Anyone in the audience not see the movie "Wallstreet"?

Raise your virtual hands in the air . Anyone ?

Counterpoint to this, I suppose, is:

People here who have already or will be stopping in at yer local Porsche dealer?

People who living in houses and paying 1k, 2k, 3k+ for a mortgage on a house built by a "builder/contractor", (very few "developers" actual deign to dirty their hands) that cost the original owners $15k-25k ?

People who actually wonder why real estate prices in Kelowna are so much higher than they should be ?

People who buy at big box grocery chains where the profits head out of province or south of the border and local merchants cut each others throats for the remnants left by the big boxes??

People who are tired of paying increasing taxes to pay for all the infrastructure for this development while the developers walk away with $$$ stuffed pockets.

Any hands out there??

You've confused development with progress. Their has been little actual forward social progress with all these 100$ of million$ of dollar$ in "development"

Ie. All the 100$ of millions spent on highway 97 to accommodate all this development yet the commute time from Kelowna to Vernon is actually longer than it was on the old windy highway in the 70's.

It's development that brought in increased policing and crime costs.

Development has displaced average working families out of the local housing market.

It's development that has reduced affordable housing to near zero and created the homelessness crisis.

It's development that has snarled and clogged our highways and streets.

Progress would be when developers are held accountable for all the costs of their greedy developments so that the uninformed taxpayers are not constantly being left with the long term infrastructure costs.

Your "greed is good mantra" has been quite successful, but like all other pyramid schemes before it, will implode on itself.

I look forward to that "development"...
Last edited by Triple 6 on Dec 17th, 2017, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I've removed the quote. You need to use the quote function properly. Thanks.
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

kelowna_proud wrote:We have the Conservatory which has been there for a while. It seems like every month council has approved 100 more town homes for Glenmore. Can someone add up for me how many new town homes have been approved and are going up in the Glenmore area now?. Its gotta be over 500 now?

Not to mention Town homes on KLO Road, The old KSS Site, Huge Towers downtown.

I own a basic home in Lower Glenmore and use every route to my advantage to get around. Glenmore to Winfield - Sexsmith to Reids Corner - Bernard to Burtch........Anything to avoid going to Spall Road bottle neck.

Is it just me or does anyone just not leave home until 7pm or 8pm......I personally go grocery shopping at 9pm or 10pm these days.

This town is growing out of control. We have 1 Costco, 1 Walmart and 1 Superstore and 1 BILLION cars and 1 BILLION people all Hot and *bleep* around those few square Kilometers by the Mall/Big Box Stores.

If you go to towns like Spokane they have like 6 Walmarts 2 Lowes 2 Home Depot 2 Kmarts Not to mentions Lot's of other stores like Target's, Fred Meyers, Safeway's, Albertson's ETC......OH Yeah a Major Freeway Bi-Pass around the city.

THIS PLACE IS GOING TO IMPLODE!!!!!

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -townhomes

I agree. Kelownas infrastructure just can`t handle it. Quality of life is deteriorating. We desperately need a bypass too. Harvey avenue has huge ruts in the pavement from the many heavily loaded transport trucks.
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

lightspeed wrote:If the desire and planning was there, Clement and another route parallel to it out of town would alleviate traffic flow.

Poor planning is the key downfall.

The old railroad bed from downtown to sex smith should be made into a roadway for cars.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

That old railroad could have become a great bypass route, but.....OH NO.....it's a bike path instead.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Terris wrote:Roger that Gordon Gecko...

Anyone in the audience not see the movie "Wallstreet"? Didn't see it, dont care

Raise your virtual hands in the air . Anyone ?

Counterpoint to this, I suppose, is:

People here who have already or will be stopping in at yer local Porsche dealer? I don't need to buy a car to appreciate the architectural statement

People who living in houses and paying 1k, 2k, 3k+ for a mortgage on a house built by a "builder/contractor", (very few "developers" actual deign to dirty their hands) that cost the original owners $15k-25k ?
I don't see why a developer needs to get his hands dirty to earn money. If I invest $20K I am not permitted to grow that money? Anyone who bought a house for 15 to 20 k are now seeing values of $400,000 because they had foresight.
It also did not cost them nothing in the interim, they had taxes and maintenence costs, needed to heat it etc.

People who actually wonder why real estate prices in Kelowna are so much higher than they should be ? It's called inflation.
It's called supply and demand. Try buying a house in San Francisco

People who buy at big box grocery chains where the profits head out of province or south of the border and local merchants cut each others throats for the remnants left by the big boxes?? Since much of our produce comes from USA and Mexico why does it surprise you that the money goes out of our country?

People who are tired of paying increasing taxes to pay for all the infrastructure for this development while the developers walk away with $$$ stuffed pockets.
You evidently do not understand how DCC's work. That is where the bulk of the money comes from to build these roads.
Roads like the grid road over the top of Wilden were built by the Developer with out a penny from taxpayers and I get to drive on it without any cost to me.

Any hands out there?? Yep

You've confused development with progress. Their has been little actual forward social progress with all these 100$ of million$ of dollar$ in "development" A few thousand people have fine homes and jobs and contribute to the local economy I see that as plus compared to ugly houses on lots that are inefficient.

Ie. All the 100$ of millions spent on highway 97 to accommodate all this development yet the commute time from Kelowna to Vernon is actually longer than it was on the old windy highway in the 70's. I say it is the same length of time.

It's development that brought in increased policing and crime costs. Really? Homeless and druggies don't buy many homes, I disagree.

Development has displaced average working families out of the local housing market. You don't know what average is.

It's development that has reduced affordable housing to near zero and created the homelessness crisis. If you can't afford to live on Kelowna there are thousands of towns around that are cheaper so go there. I don't expect to be able to afford a home in Palm Springs.

It's development that has snarled and clogged our highways and streets. It is people who think it is ok to leave 5 minutes before work starts and expect to get there on time. Try shopping during the off hours,it works well for me

Progress would be when developers are held accountable for all the costs of their greedy developments so that the uninformed taxpayers are not constantly being left with the long term infrastructure costs. See my comments on DCC's above.

Your "greed is good mantra" has been quite successful, but like all other pyramid schemes before it, will implode on itself.
Real property is not part of a pyramid scheme unlike your ill informed comments.

I look forward to that "development"...
Waste not
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

A lot of drama kings and queens in this thread... I've said it a million times, don't exaggerate.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Soon as my Glenmore shack hits $750 large we are outa here into the gated community where I can join up with all the other grumpy old men who have nothing better to do than watch out the window to see whos breaking any bylaws in the hood. But heaven forbid if they squeal on me for breakin the rules !! [icon_lol2.gif]
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

OH God, have you lost your mind Noisy Boater? I know a lady who got reported for growing cherry tomatos on her back patio.

ONE plant got a complaint. Seriously.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Faraday

Post by Faraday »

Tried the gated and lasted less than a year!!!! No thanks! But Glenmore is getting out of control as far as traffic is concerned :(
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Pros and cons to the gated thing but I live in behind the Golf and Country Club and when a couple thousand more people move in to the Conservatory block its gonna be cray cray. There are only 2 of us with a huge yard and big house . Dont really need 3 bedrooms and a suite any more. However the suite brings in $8000.00 a yr but we only rent to students as opposed to paying out $3000.00 a yr for strata fees. Getting closer to retirement we want to vacation south for winter and summer here. Thats the advantage to to gated thing. Must think hard as I do love my cherry tomatoes!! :D
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.

Return to “Central Okanagan”