Supplies To Churchill

lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Supplies To Churchill

Post by lesliepaul »

Since the rail line (Omnitrax) to Churchill, Manitoba washed out earlier this summer, supplies (i.e. food) to the community are short. With "short" comes absolutely ridiculous pricing..........milk $16 a jug, flour over $35.........TRIPLE the usual high prices associated with isolated communities. Right now they are working on an ice road to start trucking in their needed supplies. *bleep*. is wrong with the Federal government here? This country will send supplies all around the world FOR FREE when disaster strikes but does NOTHING for its own citizens? They should load up as many Canadian transport planes as possible with needed supplies for the community for FREE.........not allow private enterprise to casually do this for maximum profit. And Justin.........people do have cell phones and cameras up there so there is a great opportunity for some "selfies" of yourself standing in front of some of the price tags for basic food items as they currently stand.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Supplies To Churchill

Post by Even Steven »

lesliepaul wrote:milk $16 a jug, flour over $35.........TRIPLE the usual high prices associated with isolated communities.

Exaggerate much?

That would mean the usual HIGH price for milk in an isolated community is $5/jug (while we're paying $8).
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I agree !
And disagree !

I'm in conflict.

If delivery costs are free, private enterprise is dealt a death blow.

Why sacrifice time, effort, and finances to compete against a free service ?

I would still feel horrible and guilty to have not helped and then have a
fatal outcome.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I understand it is a pi...ng match between the feds who sold the rail line to an American rail interest. The owners of the line complain about being broke and can't / won't pay for repairs.
So, the people are held hostage by this pi...ng match.
Me thinks it is a fed and provincial governments duty in this case as they (provincial) sold the line to an insolvent rail line to start with....
Going to make the news cycle and make the government look bad regardless...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.4354131
I am not wealthy but I am rich
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Watch the video and the prices in the OP aren't far off ... package of Kraft Singles $18, 10kg bag of flour $34, loaf of bread $6, 4L jug of milk $12

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/video?clipI ... tPageNum=1
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Dec 20th, 2017, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

dirtybiker wrote:I agree !
And disagree !

I'm in conflict.

If delivery costs are free, private enterprise is dealt a death blow.

Why sacrifice time, effort, and finances to compete against a free service ?

I would still feel horrible and guilty to have not helped and then have a
fatal outcome.

Federal or Provincial governments can BUY the products at ANY wholesale food distributer in Winnipeg at the NORMAL costs. The wholesaler should not care where it is going and transportation costs should be supplied FREE by the Feds. No private transportation company is losing a cent since they NEVER had a route for vehicles to travel there. This initiative should be in place until the powers to be get their :cuss: together on the rail line.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

The Snow Cat Sleigh Trains were due to arrive in Churchill, from Gillam this past
Monday, Dec.18.

Polar Industries in a joint venture with First Nations built an Ice Rd.

There are many links to back it up, but, I won't play the game
of outside news source link ban dealios.

Look it up...
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Canada”