Homestead

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Homestead

Post by Ken7 »

1902 Our family arrived in Canada. My Great Grand Father was from the Ukraine, promised a piece of farm land. Upon arrival found it to be all bush.

Oh well, they did it farmed it and it is still being farmed by a cousin of mine in northern Saskatchewan. Oh and should I add, they took our customs, language and heritage away. But we are proud Canadians still.
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

My mother's side arrived in the 1880s from Germania. My father's came in the early 1900s-1920s, from Poland. Both sides settled in different areas of the prairies. They farmed the land like they always did, those that weren't soldiers.

Edit: Detail
Last edited by Ptolemy Soter on Dec 19th, 2017, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am... the law!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ken7 wrote:1902 Our family arrived in Canada. My Great Grand Father was from the Ukraine, promised a piece of farm land. Upon arrival found it to be all bush.

Oh well, they did it farmed it and it is still being farmed by a cousin of mine in northern Saskatchewan. Oh and should I add, they took our customs, language and heritage away. But we are proud Canadians still.

Wow a fake homestead offer. That is pretty low. I gues todays rental scams are just a rehash of an older scam.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

Jflem1983 wrote:
Ken7 wrote:1902 Our family arrived in Canada. My Great Grand Father was from the Ukraine, promised a piece of farm land. Upon arrival found it to be all bush.

Wow a fake homestead offer. That is pretty low. I gues todays rental scams are just a rehash of an older scam.

It was pretty common. Guys would wait at the train stations to offer things they wouldn't provide.
I am... the law!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

This has become my favorite thread on here. I like listening to stories aboit how things used to be. We are truly blessed to be hand me downs from a great generation.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Wow a fake homestead offer. That is pretty low. I gues todays rental scams are just a rehash of an older scam.[/quote]
It was pretty common. Guys would wait at the train stations to offer things they wouldn't provide.[/quote]

There was no train in sask i. 1902. I know cuz great grand dad walked. Train arrived in kindersley. In 1905.

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

On maternal side, volcanic activity destroyed (buried in ash, actually) their farmland and homes in Iceland. Off to Canada, got unbroken land near Regina, Sask., raised family (some for cannon fodder of WW2). Now known as the original pioneers.

On paternal side, Germanic, severe devaluation of currency and impending WW1, time to be off to Canada. Got land, worked themselves half to death, got lucky and successful.

Me? Had to be something better than Sask so off to B.C. where I live happily ever after. :biggrin:
Last edited by Catsumi on Dec 20th, 2017, 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

Jflem1983 wrote:Wow a fake homestead offer. That is pretty low. I gues todays rental scams are just a rehash of an older scam.

It was pretty common. Guys would wait at the train stations to offer things they wouldn't provide.[/quote]

There was no train in sask i. 1902. I know cuz great grand dad walked. Train arrived in kindersley. In 1905.[/quote]
Maybe not there, but elsewhere in the country things like that happened. Not just at train stations of course.
I am... the law!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Mom's side, Ukraine to Bethune Sk, Then Yorkton. Dirt Farmers, Religious Leaders (and followers)
Teachers and... Railroad Workers.
Dad's side, Scotland - Vancouver Island, Coal Mines of great wealth and hatred.
and a drift to Pioneer in/around Moose Jaw, Sk. to tackle the Industrial and
Mechanical Revolution....and Railroad Workers..

The Railroad did unite !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

dirtybiker wrote:Mom's side, Ukraine to Bethune Sk, Then Yorkton. Dirt Farmers, Religious Leaders (and followers)
Teachers and... Railroad Workers.
Dad's side, Scotland - Vancouver Island, Coal Mines of great wealth and hatred.
and a drift to Pioneer in/around Moose Jaw, Sk. to tackle the Industrial and
Mechanical Revolution....and Railroad Workers..

The Railroad did unite !

Sure did. Without the train there is no way my grandpa would have been able to convince gramma to move out from Toronto to become a real westerner . I owe my existence to that CN line

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jflem1983 wrote:
There was no train in sask i. 1902. I know cuz great grand dad walked. Train arrived in kindersley. In 1905.

A great Uncle of mine who was very young then wrote the family history. Copies of ship ticket etc is in book. It actually snowed in Wakaw Saskatchewan on July 1, 1902 I believe was the reference date.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ken7 wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:

A great Uncle of mine who was very young then wrote the family history. Copies of ship ticket etc is in book. It actually snowed in Wakaw Saskatchewan on July 1, 1902 I believe was the reference date.

That is really cool . Pun intended.

In my 34 years. I am proud to say i have seen snow in every month.

Nice work by your uncle to make up a book like that.

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jflem1983 wrote:

Sure did. Without the train there is no way my grandpa would have been able to convince gramma to move out from Toronto to become a real westerner . I owe my existence to that CN line

Railways that existed in Saskatchewan by 1905 are shown on this map. The additional lines that the Government of Saskatchewan had requested are also shown. The future of the province depended upon adequate rail transport and Premier Scott did everything possible to expand the network.

https://saskarchives.com/sasksettlement ... on&id=1282
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Neat find ken. Im gonna check that page out. Thank you

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Neat find ken. Im gonna check that page out. Thank you

http://www.prairie-towns.com/

This is another good one. Enjoy!

Return to “Canada”