maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Canada abstains from vote

Post by maryjane48 »

Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Canada abstains from vote

Post by Verum »

Canada should have had the conviction to vote, one way or the other. Now we look spineless, and against the US, rather than in conscientious solidarity with them or strong enough to vote with conviction against them. Either way would have been better than this pathetic display of cowardice.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

It was a responsible move by Canada , like it or not the US is still a very powerful country to the south of us and with pumpkin head running the show its foolish to rub his nose in the *bleep* he's created.
This was still a message, just not poking the bear.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

The vote placed Canada in a difficult situation because Trump had threatened to retaliate against countries that supported the resolution. It came as Canada is in the midst of a tough renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement with a protectionist Trump administration that has threatened to tear up the deal.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Gotta be careful when playing with petulant children prone to tantrums.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

He should have sided with Trump. We should move our Embassy .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/12/21/canada-to-sit-out-un-vote-on-trumps-decision-to-move-u-s-embassy-to-jerusalem_a_23314199/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

Jt should have vote instead of this

Yup, he should have voted in favor. Thank you JT the jellyfish.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Thank you JT

Yes, thank you JT for keeping us out of this embarrassing fiasco
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

absolute garbage. Stand up for your country and stop backing down to the USA. This shows the future negotiations with the USA will go.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

9 voted with US and 35(?) abstain? Now posters think Canada should have made it 10? I don't think so.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Jflem1983 wrote:He should have sided with Trump. We should move our Embassy .

We're not isolatationist flag humpers. We are NOT Americans. We share very few values with Trump and his supporters. Those who love his "policies" can move South. That's not how Canada rolls.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

UN has become to the world politics as FIFA is to soccer/football (nothing but a corrupt institution).

i.e giving an ear to terrorist organization like Hamas, before them the PLO
Last edited by GordonH on Dec 22nd, 2017, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Not sure what all the ramifications of this are but it doesn't surprise me that Trudeau took the spineless way out. If it had been a resolution related to gay or trangender rights or feminism, he would have been in there like a dirty shirt. When it's an issue that threatens to throw the Middle East into another round of anti-Jewish uprisings, we abstain.

Now Trump is threatening to withdraw US funding of the UN if it condemns his move. What a petulant little baby. Canada, by abstaining, has as good as agreed with the US.
Last edited by techrtr on Dec 22nd, 2017, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

JLives wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:He should have sided with Trump. We should move our Embassy .

We're not isolatationist flag humpers. We are NOT Americans. We share very few values with Trump and his supporters. Those who love his "policies" can move South. That's not how Canada rolls.

Lots of former americans settled in western Canada.

Lots of westerners identify with the west much more so than with Ottawa liberals.

You are sort of an odd duck in that u live out west and u support the crooked libs
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Lots of former Americans settled in western Canada – from the draft dodgers of the 60s and 70s, to those leaving the US as a result of the shameful circumstances it has now found itself. Lots of westerners identify with the west, but first and foremost, for the vast majority of us – we are Canadians! The so-called populists who presume to speak for “ordinary people” are the odd ducks in Canada, and they are not welcome, It is not the crooked Liberals in Ottawa that the rest of us are supporting. It is our vision of Canada as a tolerant, diverse and inclusive society that we value. As JLives said, those people who would rather hate each other, please – move south! The rest of us don't want to play your games of divisiveness and disdain.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ka-El wrote:Lots of former Americans settled in western Canada – from the draft dodgers of the 60s and 70s, to those leaving the US as a result of the shameful circumstances it has now found itself. Lots of westerners identify with the west, but first and foremost, for the vast majority of us – we are Canadians! The so-called populists who presume to speak for “ordinary people” are the odd ducks in Canada, and they are not welcome, It is not the crooked Liberals in Ottawa that the rest of us are supporting. It is our vision of Canada as a tolerant, diverse and inclusive society that we value. As JLives said, those people who would rather hate each other, please – move south! The rest of us don't want to play your games of divisiveness and disdain.

Not surprising u ignored the homesteaders who built Canada.

Return to “Canada”