Trudeau Face Consequences.

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Trudeau Face Consequences.

Post by Rwede »

hobbyguy wrote:
Rwede wrote:$48,966,065.00 is an immense amount of tax dollars given to the Aga Khan by the Trudeau government in 2016.

That's one expensive holiday for the Trudeaus, on our dime(s).

Partisan bs. http://www.akdn.org/press-release/government-canada-and-aga-khan-sign-funding-agreement-global-centre-pluralism-0

Who dat in the picture? Ain't JT.

ETA: https://lobbycanada.gc.ca/app/secure/ocl/lrs/do/gvFndg?cid=278184&sMdKy=1451276107241

$46,796,700.00 given to the Aga Khan by the Harper government in 2015.

As usual, disingenuous twerps like Sheer and Skippy making something out nothing.

Harper didn't get a free trip out of his philanthropy. And he didn't expect one to be offered, unlike silver spoon trust fund baby.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Globe editorial: Justin Trudeau fails his ethics test

PUBLISHED 19 HOURS AGO
UPDATED DECEMBER 20, 2017

On March 11, 2016, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, along with a friend of hers and their children, arrived at Bells Cay, the private Caribbean island owned by the Aga Khan, for a week-long holiday.

Other than the return flights from Canada to Nassau, Bahamas, the Aga Khan picked up the tab, including the cost of a chartered seaplane from Nassau to Bells Cay and back.

On March 9, just two days before the wife of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau left for her Caribbean getaway, a representative of the Aga Khan contacted the Prime Minister's Office to request a formal meeting between the two men to discuss, among other things, a pending $15-million federal grant to the Global Centre for Pluralism, an Ottawa-based pet project of the Aga Khan.

The meeting was held on May 17. During it, Mr. Trudeau reaffirmed the government's commitment to the grant. On July 10, the Minister of International Development, Marie-Claude Bibeau, approved the money.

That same month, Ms. Grégoire Trudeau asked the daughter of the Aga Khan if she could return to Bells Cay for the Christmas holidays with her husband and children. She was told that they would be welcome.

Come Christmas, the Prime Minister and his family were once again holidaying at the expense of someone seeking and getting financial assistance from the government, and whose organization, the Aga Khan Foundation Canada, was registered to lobby the Prime Minister. The trip also included a free helicopter ride from Nassau to Bells Cay and back.

SNIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

He should not, as Prime Minister, have accepted two free vacations from a person who was actively pursuing government funding.

He should have recused himself from the May 2016 meeting with the Aga Khan, and from a discussion with the Privy Council prior to the meeting to go over the details of it.

And he was wrong not to have notified the ethics commissioner about his wife's free seaplane trip to the island, and his helicopter ride at Christmas.

Ms. Dawson says the PM didn't directly participate in making decisions related to the interests of the Aga Khan – the one mistake he, thankfully, avoided. Had he not, the next investigation might have been the RCMP's.

Mr. Trudeau has been under fire ever since he was forced to admit, reluctantly, that his unknown whereabouts during the Christmas holiday period last year were, in fact, the Aga Khan's private island.

He spent the year being strangely peevish about the affair, refusing to answer even the most basic questions after Ms. Dawson announced she was a launching an investigation.

What wasn't fully appreciated until now, though, is the degree to which Mr. Trudeau took personal advantage of his relationship with the Aga Khan. It's little wonder that he wanted to say as little as possible about it.

On Wednesday, he continued to insist that his close friendship with the Aga Khan should have exempted him from the Conflict of Interest Act, thanks to a bizarre clause that appears to allows office holders to accept gifts from friends.

But, as Ms. Dawson says, their friendship only blossomed after Mr. Trudeau became Prime Minister.

And who cares if they are friends. There are no circumstances under which a Prime Minister can accept freebies from anyone who does business with the government. It will always look like private benefits are being received by an office-holder, in return for government favour.

Mr. Trudeau is not in the least bit contrite, though, and his response on Wednesday was tone deaf. "For me to look for a place to have a quiet vacation, where I can have quality family time, is something we all look for with our families," he told reporters.

Mr. Trudeau seems to believe his character is so unimpeachable that no one would dare conclude that an apparent conflict of interest on his part could in fact be real.

He showed the same arrogance when he refused, initially, to put an end to the Liberal Party's shameless cash-for-access fundraisers. Now he has gone so far as to break the Conflict of Interest Act, and yet he still seems baffled and put off that anyone would accuse him of wrongdoing.

The Prime Minister needs to gets his moral compass in working order. It has failed him so far.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... e37399503/
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Rwede wrote:Come Christmas, the Prime Minister and his family were once again holidaying at the expense of someone seeking and getting financial assistance from the government, and whose organization, the Aga Khan Foundation Canada, was registered to lobby the Prime Minister. The trip also included a free helicopter ride from Nassau to Bells Cay and back.

Seriously, what does it take to have influence peddling criminal charges laid here? It's obvious to anyone not blinded by nice hair that Trudeau has accepted a bribe in return for favours. It's time that the RCMP takes over this file and deals decisively with it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Gone_Fishin wrote:
Rwede wrote:Come Christmas, the Prime Minister and his family were once again holidaying at the expense of someone seeking and getting financial assistance from the government, and whose organization, the Aga Khan Foundation Canada, was registered to lobby the Prime Minister. The trip also included a free helicopter ride from Nassau to Bells Cay and back.

Seriously, what does it take to have influence peddling criminal charges laid here? It's obvious to anyone not blinded by nice hair that Trudeau has accepted a bribe in return for favours. It's time that the RCMP takes over this file and deals decisively with it.

Blasphemy. Trudeau is a god walking on earth. :D
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

A charlaton, a slippery eel, huckster, a weasel, on-the-take bandit.

A bald faced liar, a promise breaker.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4461548
Aga Khan not subject to lobbying law, says commissioner

The Aga Khan can pitch projects and offer gifts to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and other Canadian politicians without running afoul of lobbying laws because the multimillionaire isn't paid to lobby for the foundation that bears his name, CBC News has learned.

In a letter dated Sept. 21 and obtained Thursday by CBC News, Commissioner of Lobbying Karen Shepherd refused to launch a formal investigation into the Aga Khan following a January complaint he violated the lobbying law by allowing Trudeau and members of the prime minister's family to vacation on his private island in the Bahamas.

In the letter, Shepherd said she conducted an administrative review in response to the complaint.

"After reviewing the information provided to me in the administrative review report, I have come to the conclusion that the Aga Khan receives no payment for his work on behalf of the Aga Khan Foundation Canada and, therefore, does not engage in activities requiring registration as a lobbyist," she wrote.

"Consequently, the Lobbyists' Code of Conduct does not apply to his interactions with the prime minister."
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Omnitheo wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4461548
Aga Khan not subject to lobbying law, says commissioner

The Aga Khan can pitch projects and offer gifts to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and other Canadian politicians without running afoul of lobbying laws because the multimillionaire isn't paid to lobby for the foundation that bears his name, CBC News has learned.

In a letter dated Sept. 21 and obtained Thursday by CBC News, Commissioner of Lobbying Karen Shepherd refused to launch a formal investigation into the Aga Khan following a January complaint he violated the lobbying law by allowing Trudeau and members of the prime minister's family to vacation on his private island in the Bahamas.

In the letter, Shepherd said she conducted an administrative review in response to the complaint.

"After reviewing the information provided to me in the administrative review report, I have come to the conclusion that the Aga Khan receives no payment for his work on behalf of the Aga Khan Foundation Canada and, therefore, does not engage in activities requiring registration as a lobbyist," she wrote.

"Consequently, the Lobbyists' Code of Conduct does not apply to his interactions with the prime minister."

Well as long as we can just change the rules mid stroke. Why not.

Fine hes not a lobbyist. He is peddling influence though.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Khan not subject to lobby laws

http://www.cbc.ca/1.4461548
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

From your article:

While Shepherd has found the Aga Khan isn't subject to the lobbyist rules which prohibit lobbyists from putting politicians in a position where they could feel a sense of obligation such as giving them gifts, MPs are still subject to conflict of interest and ethics rules if they accept gifts.

Wednesday, Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson made public a scathing report that found Trudeau violated four sections of the Conflict of Interest Act when his family accepted vacations on the Aga Khan's private island nestled in the turquoise waters of the Bahamas.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The more I hear, the more convinced I become that we need a change to the law that governs lobbying rules and conflicts of interest. Because the current one appears to have far too many loopholes, and not enough consequences.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Merry wrote:The more I hear, the more convinced I become that we need a change to the law that governs lobbying rules and conflicts of interest. Because the current one appears to have far too many loopholes, and not enough consequences.

Agreed absolutely! And lets not pretend this started with Trudeau.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

It would be nice if we could leave the dead in their tombs and deal with the living monsters. We can't change the past but maybe the future?

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Ka-El wrote: If parliament does nothing, then Trudeau will have to face the electorate next election. It is ironic, though, to see the usual suspects up in arms over every indiscretion now it is not their guy in power any more.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Catsumi wrote:It would be nice if we could leave the dead in their tombs and deal with the living monsters. We can't change the past but maybe the future?

:biggrin:

Can you get Skippy Poilievre to join the politically dead? Seems to me he was in charge of the rules for quite awhile?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/ ... judgement/

Observing politics is like watching a play where most of the action takes place behind the curtain while the players repeatedly tell us what a great job everyone is doing. But every now and then, when a stagehand inadvertently forgets to draw the curtain shut, we get a glimpse of the real business.

Return to “Canada”