Canada abstains from vote

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Re: Canada abstains from vote

Post by Ka-El »

techrtr wrote: A lot of people accuse Trump of being anti-Semitic as well as racist. Maybe this is a misguided attempt to win back Jewish voters.

We could spend a lot of time trying to guess Trump’s motivation for making such a reckless and deliberately inflammatory move. Woefully unsuitable, unqualified and unfit to be president, it is clear the nuances of diplomacy elude him. I wonder how many people are surprised by this. The art of the deal, indeed. There are genuine issues to be critical of Trudeau, but kudos on him for following the lead of most countries and not drawing us into this embarrassing gong show.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JLives wrote:If I was wrong I would. The US is being a bully and are wrong on this. As are you.

The US is being a bully for recognizing Israel's declared capital. Just ridiculous. You are being a bully and are wrong on this.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Ka-El wrote:You know (or at least you should be able to remember) what my position is on Israel. Why do you insist on always defaulting to such black and white thinking? Just because someone disagrees with you on one small part of a very complex issue they suddenly don’t have any appreciation for what’s going on? We should be looking to such limited, one-dimensional and rigid thinkers as yourself looking through lenses as thick as the bottom of a coke bottle for understanding? Oh, wait ...

I get it, we aren't that far apart. The real enemy are brainless leftists like some here who want to cheer the destruction of the state of Israel as decreed by the disgusting UN, so I will declare a truce here if you will. I see the value of recognizing Jerusalem as the true capital of Israel, given that is the actual capital of Israel, as declared by the state of Israel, but I will leave it in your court.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

The Green Barbarian wrote: I get it, we aren't that far apart. The real enemy are brainless leftists like some here who want to cheer the destruction of the state of Israel as decreed by the disgusting UN, so I will declare a truce here if you will. I see the value of recognizing Jerusalem as the true capital of Israel, given that is the actual capital of Israel, as declared by the state of Israel, but I will leave it in your court.

Yes, we agree that the corrupt and self-serving UN has lost any and all credibility it might have once had – especially with their mishandling of the Israel situation. I also recognize there is value in recognizing Jerusalem as the true capital of Israel, “given that is the actual capital of Israel, as declared by the state of Israel”. However, we can recognize Jerusalem as the capital without making deliberately inflammatory gestures. I do not see any true diplomatic value in suddenly making the declaration of moving their embassy to Jerusalem. Aside from throwing gasoline on the fire and inciting violence, what productive purpose is being realized by this petulant and reckless move (“productive” being the key concept to be considered)?
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Nearly four decades ago, Joe Clark's short-lived government moved to honor an election promise to relocate Canada's embassy to Jerusalem. "Joe Who" quickly buckled under pressure from oil-rich Middle East countries and Canadian corporations with financial interests in the region. Our politicians showed weakness then, and they have embarrassed us again by not standing by our American and Israeli allies in this ridiculous UN vote.

Ever since a bi-partisan Congress committed (by a substantial majority) to relocation under the terms of the "Jerusalem Embassy Act" over two decades ago, presidents have dithered because of the silly threat that the move would 'disrupt' the geriatric, atrophied Middle East 'peace process.' Finally, there is a leader in the White House who realizes that such vacillation has only served to delay meaningful negotiations. His message is clear - join us in moving forward, or step aside - we are tired of playing your waiting game.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

You were doing pretty good until you said "leader" in the White House
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Ka-El wrote:You were doing pretty good until you said "leader" in the White House

I refer you to GB's avatar. [icon_lol2.gif]
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

d0nb wrote: I refer you to GB's avatar. [icon_lol2.gif]

:135: because ...
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Ka-El wrote:
d0nb wrote: I refer you to GB's avatar. [icon_lol2.gif]

:135: because ...

At the risk of starting another mindless "I hate Trump" thread:

Those who imagine that improving border security - chiding allies who don't measure up to their defense spending obligations - lowering taxes - not entering, or withdrawing from bad trade and 'climate' deals - reducing regulatory burdens - approving pipelines that make sense - decimating brutal caliphate wannabes - letting dictators know that when a 'red line' is drawn, there will be consequences for crossing it - more jobs - a strong economy - a sane SCOTUS - honoring the commitment to move the embassy in Israel to the nation's capital city - repealing unconstitutional executive orders - putting America First, etc. are the actions of an unhinged, misguided simpleton President, will just have to learn to Deal With It.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

As far as the moving of its embassy I fail to see why the US can't move its embassy to Jerusalem if it wants to. Other countries that don't want to don't have to. As far as the move possibly hurting the Middle East peace process I say, "What peace process?" I'd say that the motion itself was out of line and essentially worthless. Meanwhile, I see this:

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley is throwing a party for all the countries who didn't vote against the United States on its controversial bid to recognize Jerusalem as the capital city of Israel — and Canada plans to attend.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nikki-h ... -1.4462707
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Urbane wrote:As far as the moving of its embassy I fail to see why the US can't move its embassy to Jerusalem if it wants to. Other countries that don't want to don't have to. As far as the move possibly hurting the Middle East peace process I say, "What peace process?" I'd say that the motion itself was out of line and essentially worthless. Meanwhile, I see this:

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley is throwing a party for all the countries who didn't vote against the United States on its controversial bid to recognize Jerusalem as the capital city of Israel — and Canada plans to attend.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nikki-h ... -1.4462707

Yep thats our libs. Out for some free party treats
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

d0nb wrote: Those who imagine that improving border security - chiding allies who don't measure up to their defense spending obligations - lowering taxes - not entering, or withdrawing from bad trade and 'climate' deals - reducing regulatory burdens - approving pipelines that make sense - decimating brutal caliphate wannabes - letting dictators know that when a 'red line' is drawn, there will be consequences for crossing it - more jobs - a strong economy - a sane SCOTUS - honoring the commitment to move the embassy in Israel to the nation's capital city - repealing unconstitutional executive orders - putting America First, etc. are the actions of an unhinged, misguided simpleton President, will just have to learn to Deal With It.

Yes, he did approve Keystone. You're right about that :smt045
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Urbane wrote:As far as the moving of its embassy I fail to see why the US can't move its embassy to Jerusalem if it wants to. Other countries that don't want to don't have to. As far as the move possibly hurting the Middle East peace process I say, "What peace process?" I'd say that the motion itself was out of line and essentially worthless.

I agree completely Urbane. There has been no peace process - just mega-billions spent and funneled into Hamas and Hezbollah via a corrupt UN, mostly into Swiss bank accounts. What is going on now isn't working. Something has to change. I see those out there who rightly have many beefs with Trump, but they seem to be so blinded by hatred of Trump that they can't look at anything he is doing in an unbiased light. And I get that, I found it hard to see anything good in the Obama administration myself, especially while people were falling all over themselves trumpeting the positives of anything and everything he did. Now I see the opposite with Trump, with everyone falling all over themselves to denigrate everything Trump does. As with everything, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

By the time the US gets their embassy built, there will be a vacillating weak-kneed president back in the White House, who will high-tail it back to Tel Aviv apologizing all the way, and the status quo of Anti-Semitism at the UN will be restored. And nothing will really have changed.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Sad to see our child king not take a stand against hateful Islamic states. Just not ready is still the phrase for our PM. But maybe he can't see what spoiled brats these nations are because he's one himself.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

maryjane48 wrote:http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/12/21/canada-to-sit-out-un-vote-on-trumps-decision-to-move-u-s-embassy-to-jerusalem_a_23314199/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

Jt should have vote instead of this

the guy is too much of a coward to vote one way or the other , he is just plain gutless
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Canada”