Snowed In By Snowplow

common_sense_guy
Übergod

Re: Snowed In By Snowplow

Post by common_sense_guy »

Just because a person says it's up to you to deal with it doesn't mean there is no empathy for you. If I was your neighbor I would have gladly got out there and helped without even being asked if I noticed my neighbor had problems. But really what do you want the plow driver to do if there's one house on every road that has to get blocked in somewhat because of how the snow needs to be plowed. So you want him to take 10 minutes to fix your driveway. now multiply that 10 minutes times one house on every road or two and you'll see why they don't do it.. and I don't think the snow plows are doing a terrible job. There's only so many of them and there's probably twice the number of roads that there used to be 20 years ago here.. would you expect the contractor to double the fleet of trucks and hire twice as many people for the occasional snow storm. Or here's a novel idea if you don't have to go out don't go. 2030 years ago when we had major storms there was days when you couldn't go anywhere for awhile until the plow trucks made it. But but most people in society expect everything and demand it now now now. We live in the area that gets no frequently in the Winter's so if you choose to only have a front wheel drive car or rear wheel drive car then don't expect the plows to be making the roads perfect so everybody can get everywhere right away
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

TreeGuy wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:I'm surprised more municipalities aren't implementing this to snow removal equipment. Pretty simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvp6dZLRqiY

That is on a grader in rural setting. Running a tandem axle truck with a blade and sander is enough to operate. This also wouldn’t work in a high density neighbourhood.

I hope you're not saying a tandem and blade is more complicated than a grader to operate :)
Of course the attachment wouldn't work for any and all areas, but certainly has a use in a number of residential/commercial areas. Matters not - they don't have them here anyway.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

WalterWhite wrote:
I hope you're not saying a tandem and blade is more complicated than a grader to operate :)
Of course the attachment wouldn't work for any and all areas, but certainly has a use in a number of residential/commercial areas. Matters not - they don't have them here anyway.

In a way I am, only because when operating a grader you don’t have to worry about sand application.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

common_sense_guy wrote:Just because a person says it's up to you to deal with it doesn't mean there is no empathy for you. If I was your neighbor I would have gladly got out there and helped without even being asked if I noticed my neighbor had problems. But really what do you want the plow driver to do if there's one house on every road that has to get blocked in somewhat because of how the snow needs to be plowed. So you want him to take 10 minutes to fix your driveway. now multiply that 10 minutes times one house on every road or two and you'll see why they don't do it.. and I don't think the snow plows are doing a terrible job. There's only so many of them and there's probably twice the number of roads that there used to be 20 years ago here.. would you expect the contractor to double the fleet of trucks and hire twice as many people for the occasional snow storm. Or here's a novel idea if you don't have to go out don't go. 2030 years ago when we had major storms there was days when you couldn't go anywhere for awhile until the plow trucks made it. But but most people in society expect everything and demand it now now now. We live in the area that gets no frequently in the Winter's so if you choose to only have a front wheel drive car or rear wheel drive car then don't expect the plows to be making the roads perfect so everybody can get everywhere right away

10/10
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

common_sense_guy wrote:Just because a person says it's up to you to deal with it doesn't mean there is no empathy for you. If I was your neighbor I would have gladly got out there and helped without even being asked if I noticed my neighbor had problems. But really what do you want the plow driver to do if there's one house on every road that has to get blocked in somewhat because of how the snow needs to be plowed. So you want him to take 10 minutes to fix your driveway. now multiply that 10 minutes times one house on every road or two and you'll see why they don't do it.. and I don't think the snow plows are doing a terrible job. There's only so many of them and there's probably twice the number of roads that there used to be 20 years ago here.. would you expect the contractor to double the fleet of trucks and hire twice as many people for the occasional snow storm. Or here's a novel idea if you don't have to go out don't go. 2030 years ago when we had major storms there was days when you couldn't go anywhere for awhile until the plow trucks made it. But but most people in society expect everything and demand it now now now. We live in the area that gets no frequently in the Winter's so if you choose to only have a front wheel drive car or rear wheel drive car then don't expect the plows to be making the roads perfect so everybody can get everywhere right away

You do realize other cities have solved this problem. And for years and years. No 10/10 here. I had trouble with removing wet snow and I have had to deal with a fraction of the ice. This incident was not necessary so I will assume a lazy worker.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Sorry Fancy you have had to struggle with the snow and ice. If it makes you feel better, even though I work for the company that plows our roads I too have to dig out my driveway.

Which other cities are you referring to?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

TreeGuy wrote:Sorry Fancy you have had to struggle with the snow and ice. If it makes you feel better, even though I work for the company that plows our roads I too have to dig out my driveway.

Which other cities are you referring to?

Digging out a foot of snow is one thing but to dig out heavy ice and snow is another that when it only happens once in 30-40 years sort of tells a story. When a bobcat has to come out to dig out kinda says something about the driver of that particular snowplow.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

I was wondering when they plan on putting down sand on residential streets coverd in ice?....July!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:
lightspeed wrote:Buy a snowblower.

Unfortunately not everyone is able to work one of those either and the days of neighborhood teenagers going door to door offering to clear snow is long gone too.

Ain't that the truth. I used to make a fortune shoveling driveways when I was a teen.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

If it makes you feel better, even though I work for the company that plows our roads I too have to dig out my driveway.

What's your companies policy about plowing roads onto freshly cleared sidewalks ? The same as freshly cleared driveways ???
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Whyme2 wrote:I was wondering when they plan on putting down sand on residential streets coverd in ice?....July!

Waste of money. Totally unnecessary. Just drive accordingly.

Or you can pay about twenty times the property tax and we can pretend that we're in a cold version of Saudi Arabia....
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

yes much better to pay for it in insurance claims instead
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

lightspeed wrote:Waste of money. Totally unnecessary. Just drive accordingly.

We use sand for a reason, a very good reason :132:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

People are idiots?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Queen K wrote:People are idiots?

People are idiots - especially those who think they are some godlike being behind the wheel :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Central Okanagan”