2 vehicle crash near Predator Ridge turnoff.....

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: 2 vehicle crash near Predator Ridge turnoff.....

Post by Urban Cowboy »

jasond_71 wrote:They already spent thousands of dollars or more making the right turn lane onto the highway heading south a lot longer so people can merge easier so obviously they have statistics of increased accidents here. The problem is they did nothing for people turning left heading North to Vernon. You literally have to turn left into a lane where people are driving 100km/h and if they fix that they would have to fix the left turn at the dump which is the same.

The roads were brutally slippy so obviously that is a factor. There was a car in the ditch by the Kelowna airport and one in the ditch heading up the road out of Vernon as well. I was driving the speed limit in those conditions getting passed by a lot of cars doing well over the speed limit. People need to drive to the conditions.

The accident wasn't at the Predator Ridge turnoff, it was further north.

They spent millions improving that intersection not so long ago and it is much better than it was. Short of adding another light to highway 97 I don't see what else they can really be expected to do.

Predator Ridge residents needing to go north, have the option of avoiding that intersection altogether, by simply driving up Commonage Road to Vernon.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Old Techie wrote:
jasond_71 wrote:They already spent thousands of dollars or more making the right turn lane onto the highway heading south a lot longer so people can merge easier so obviously they have statistics of increased accidents here. The problem is they did nothing for people turning left heading North to Vernon. You literally have to turn left into a lane where people are driving 100km/h and if they fix that they would have to fix the left turn at the dump which is the same.

The roads were brutally slippy so obviously that is a factor. There was a car in the ditch by the Kelowna airport and one in the ditch heading up the road out of Vernon as well. I was driving the speed limit in those conditions getting passed by a lot of cars doing well over the speed limit. People need to drive to the conditions.

They spent millions improving that intersection not so long ago and it is much better than it was. Short of adding another light to highway 97 I don't see what else they can really be expected to do.

Predator Ridge residents needing to go north, have the option of avoiding that intersection altogether, by simply driving up Commonage Road to Vernon.

Right - Commonage - that's the "frontage" road I was trying to think of. I knew there was another route to Vernon other than the highway....
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Ya, people NEED to drive to conditions but they just DON'T. It's infuriating and scary - they just do not care that they are endangering themselves and everyone around them - selfish jerks. It's the old "it's all about me, who cares about you" attitude.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Old Techie wrote:

Don't give away the secret to the most beautiful drive left in the Okanagan! And I preferred it when it was still unpaved and abit wild.

I agree they can use that route, but it's still a rural drive, takes time and goes through some residential areas that arent' that easy to navigate in certain conditions.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Queen K wrote:Don't give away the secret to the most beautiful drive left in the Okanagan! And I preferred it when it was still unpaved and abit wild.

I agree they can use that route, but it's still a rural drive, takes time and goes through some residential areas that arent' that easy to navigate in certain conditions.

Residential areas??? From Bailey Road through to Vernon that road has like one curve in it and is dead straight the rest of the way through past the Vernon Cadet Academy fields. I find nothing about it a challenge to navigate.

You have to remember the conversation was about drivers who were turning from Bailey onto Hwy97 toward Vernon, meaning those would all be drivers who live in Predator Ridge, thus begging the question why would they choose to use the dangerous intersection when they have Commonage Road which ends at a light in Vernon.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

jasond_71 wrote:They already spent thousands of dollars or more making the right turn lane onto the highway heading south a lot longer so people can merge easier so obviously they have statistics of increased accidents here.

And people sit there, at the intersection, at a complete stop, despite having a 2 mile long merge lane (same with the idiots coming out of Oyama going northbound) - further proof that even if you build the perfect highway, you can't fix stupid.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Central Okanagan”