Ice on the Coq

GT500

Ice on the Coq

Post by GT500 »

Seems to me every year the Coq is getting worse for travel. They seem bent on coming up with the next best thing to help reduce the amount of ice on the highway. Well guess what nothing is working. I think that highways should go back to the old fashion salt and sand and using more equipment to help keep the roads clear of snow. ICBC wants everyone to change to winter tires to help reduce the risk of driving on bad roads but all this seems to have done is reduce the proper maintenance of our highways for our family and friends. Spend the money to maintain all the roadways in bc (highway and city) and the amount of MVI will be reduced.

P.S. To all those people that think that they can drive like it is summer. Get your head out of your dark spot. Speed and tailgating because you have to get to the destination before the other person will only cause problems. Drive to the road conditions not your ego. Turn up the radio, sing and enjoy the sights around you.
dle
Lord of the Board

Re: Ice on the Coq

Post by dle »

GT500 wrote:Seems to me every year the Coq is getting worse for travel. They seem bent on coming up with the next best thing to help reduce the amount of ice on the highway. Well guess what nothing is working. I think that highways should go back to the old fashion salt and sand and using more equipment to help keep the roads clear of snow. ICBC wants everyone to change to winter tires to help reduce the risk of driving on bad roads but all this seems to have done is reduce the proper maintenance of our highways for our family and friends. Spend the money to maintain all the roadways in bc (highway and city) and the amount of MVI will be reduced.

P.S. To all those people that think that they can drive like it is summer. Get your head out of your dark spot. Speed and tailgating because you have to get to the destination before the other person will only cause problems. Drive to the road conditions not your ego. Turn up the radio, sing and enjoy the sights around you.

Even the best, most expensive winter/ice tires can only do so much - they are an ASSIST for the vehicle, NOT a guarantee of not sliding on the ice and NOT a replacement for driver sense.

That being said I totally agree that the roads in BC are the bloody pits in winter and there is the basic minimum being done on the Coq and other roads regarding salt/sand being applied. Every year there are the doofus accidents, no doubt about it and there will always be the doofus on the road. However, when you are driving to conditions, and you are keeping well back of everyone else and allowing plenty of extra time to get where you are going and you still do a 180 down the road on a flat, straight stretch and you haven't touched your brakes then yep the road maintenance crews are at fault. We've had the Coq for many many years and it wasn't always so horrid - other than pea soup fog for which there is no fix. They just aren't salting/sanding like you just said anymore and no amount of squawking from us year after year is changing that.

Maintenance guys say they are doing more than enough and it's all the driver's fault if there is an accident on the Coq - well, no, it's not ALWAYS the good driver's fault and they know it. Gov't got out of the game and the road guys they tossed the ball to are skimping and skimping badly. Pick up your socks you guys and get those highways sanded.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The private contractors will try to cut corners wherever they can to keep as much as possible for themselves.

Added later: since I don't normally travel over the Coq during snowy months, but if I did I would have studs added to my winter tires.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Its time bring back bc hiways .bclibs outsourcing to highest donations didnt work
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

maryjane48 wrote:Its time bring back bc hiways .bclibs outsourcing to highest donations didnt work

It would be cheaper just to force private contractors to do better maintenance or be fined.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

GordonH wrote:The private contractors will try to cut corners wherever they can to keep as much as possible for themselves.

Added later: since I don't normally travel over the Coq during snowy months, but if I did I would have studs added to my winter tires.

I did ONCE in February....it's not for me! I travel the Coq maybe from July to September lol! We've had the pea soup fog at Brenda mines and snow in May and it takes me weeks to grow my nails back after that kind of trip so no thanks. If you are brave enough to venture up there in the real winter then I would agree with GordonH - studs and/or chains would be a good plan (but you still wouldn't get me up there)!
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

I drove the road this weekend. Been doing so for the past 6 years twice a winter. Gotta say this is the worst for ice that I have ever seen. Road was icy from the sawmill in west kelowna all the way to hope.

I'm not sure if thr conditions I went in were somehow worse or if it is negligence and lack of salt? I slipped on a strait portion this year, going about 60km/h up a hill (people were going faster). I use tires that display a snowflake and m+s, they are for all seasons.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

dle wrote:
GordonH wrote:The private contractors will try to cut corners wherever they can to keep as much as possible for themselves.

I did ONCE in February....it's not for me! I travel the Coq maybe from July to September lol! We've had the pea soup fog at Brenda mines and snow in May and it takes me weeks to grow my nails back after that kind of trip so no thanks. If you are brave enough to venture up there in the real winter then I would agree with GordonH - studs and/or chains would be a good plan (but you still wouldn't get me up there)!

My first trip over the Coq EVER was for the Vancouver Olympics.

I’d come from Ontario where barely anyone had snow tires. Spent my whole life there and we never had them growing up, nor did I have them on my own car. I remember being a teenager driving from northern Ontario to Winnipeg in the winter to watch a freaking hockey game.

I come out here. Had a rental for work, and this was before the manditory snow tire thing. Drove out with a few friends in the daytime, no problems. Decided to drive back to Kelowna, solo, at about 11pm. Didn’t think twice.

Eight years and another half million kilometres under my belt and I’d still strangle that stupid girl if I could go back in time. Severe case of “what you don’t know won’t hurt you” I guess.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www-esd.worldbank.org/pbc_resour ... Canada.htm

Out sourcing good for investors . Bad for drivers
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

Its winter and guess what , winter conditions drive accordingly
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

you better believe they cut corners
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

stevemic wrote:Its winter and guess what , winter conditions drive accordingly

Normally I would agree but when its been good the last 5 years and all of a sudden the condition changes drastically I'd say something changed that wasn't weather related.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

GT500 wrote:Seems to me every year the Coq is getting worse for travel.

Your perception is incorrect. Coq always been a tough highway in the winter on some days.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Been saying this for years - highway maintenance in this Province is becoming at par with third world countries.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Blame the crews all you want but understand that Winter Driving in Canada is just that. Winter driving. Until people start driving according to conditions with proper equipment and common sense then the issues will start to go down. Until then people will keep spinning out, crashing into each other, and in general being stupid.

Return to “B.C.”