$5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Cactusflower
Banned

$5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Post by Cactusflower »

BC Ferries spent $3 million maintaining and repairing the Queen of Burnaby last year. Now they say the boat is no longer seaworthy and they're auctioning it off, with a starting bid of $5,000. And the NDP says they're still not considering taking over the management of BC Ferries? WTH........someone should!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4463952
LordEd
Guru

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Post by LordEd »

According to B.C. Ferries, the successful buyer must provide evidence that they will perform an environmentally safe dismantling and recycling of the ship.

The new owner will also need to tow the ship from its current location at B.C. Ferries' maintenance facility in Richmond.

B.C. Ferries spent over $3 million maintaining and repairing the ferry during its final year of service, but the ship is no longer considered seaworthy. It contains hazardous material, including asbestos, and has a leaky propeller.
So what would you prefer they do with it?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The 2nd paragragh of the above noted link states that:
The vessel is currently listed on govdeals.com with a starting bid of $5,000. There is a caveat, though, that the ship no longer be used for sailing and can only be purchased for parts or to sit static.

Gee, I wonder what the cost of towing it away, and stripping it for whatever can be salvaged would cost????? Where is the nearest salvage birth is?......India?

It's JUNK, it can not be used again, anywhere in the world as a ship. It's just another boat that has seen better days and is no longer safe to use for any type of transportation of any living being.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^Glad to see y'all agree with me for a change. What kind of incompetent boobs spend 3 million B.C. taxpayers' dollars on an old derelict that has to be towed away, dismantled, and recycled?
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^Glad to see y'all agree with me for a change. What kind of incompetent boobs spend 3 million B.C. taxpayers' dollars on an old derelict that has to be towed away, dismantled, and recycled? And then think that those same taxpayers are going to be happy to hear that the old tub will be lucky to bring in $5,000 when the smoke clears?

Somebody has to negate Campbell's stupid decision to privatize BC Ferries while retaining all the shares in the corporation. We all know who was responsible for those $3 million in repairs last year, don't we? (Sorry, I hit 'submit' by mistake the first time.)
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Spend $200 million on a new one or keep one going for a year at 1.5% of replacement cost. The economics of the decision to keep the tub in service were sound. People with absolutely no business background may think differently, however. They also vote NDP.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Caveats mean nothing when they are sold to another country which can undertake repairs of some sort or another and under that country's rules and regulations meet THEIR specific criteria for passenger transport. The 'Fast Cats' were sold for 'scrap'' and then resold to the UAE (price not disclosed) and after use by the UAE for some many years, donated to Egypt. Pity the taxpayer is on the hook for political decisions.
Chill
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

BC Ferries spent over $3 million maintaining and repairing the ferry during its final year of service
Sounds like a good reason to not to continue service.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Spend $200 million on a new one or keep one going for a year at 1.5% of replacement cost. The economics of the decision to keep the tub in service were sound. People with absolutely no business background may think differently, however. They also vote NDP.

I'm sure glad you're not my accountant.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Cactusflower wrote:I'm sure glad you're not my accountant.

Like I said, people with no business background don't understand economics and they vote NDP. A 1.5% refurb is dirt cheap.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

That would make a killer houseboat - think I'll put my bid in - found a great place in OK Lake for it :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Dizzy1 wrote:That would make a killer houseboat - think I'll put my bid in - found a great place in OK Lake for it :up:

I hope that was a joke. The guy who owns the Fintry Queen can't even find a spot for it, and it's still operational.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Cactusflower wrote:
I hope that was a joke. The guy who owns the Fintry Queen can't even find a spot for it, and it's still operational.

Nah, I was being dead serious :132:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:

Nah, I was being dead serious :132:

Take it up near Prince Rupert and rent out rooms to all the pipeline workers that are going to be there soon. After the pipeline is finished, turn it into a hotel for all the trophy Salmon fishers. With that new ferry that will be sailing there soon, people will be flocking to the area to fishing. It will a much shorter trip for all that are working in the oil sands to come and spend their money on a once in a lifetime fishing trip where they can limit out every day and take their bounty back to Alberta with them.
You might even be able to use wood to heat the whole boat with. Free heat, hot water, cooking. Install a Dilbit fired generator for electricity, there should be lots of that in the area real soon.
Bring back the LIKE button.
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Spend $200 million on a new one or keep one going for a year at 1.5% of replacement cost. The economics of the decision to keep the tub in service were sound. People with absolutely no business background may think differently, however. They also vote NDP.

Yes sooo true
But you forgot to mention that some also vote for the Greenies :130:

Return to “B.C.”