Traffic Concerns...

Home of the traffic rant.
Wheels

Re: Traffic Concerns...

Post by Wheels »

I frequently see RCMP make illegal lane changes in intersections while turning left or right.

To a point, I would hate to see them delayed attending a domestic assault because they couldn't find legal parking. Travelling around with flashing lights non stop would be a little ridiculous.

If this is a problem with you. Report it.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Wheels wrote:
"I frequently see RCMP make illegal lane changes in intersections while turning left or right."

Getting off topic here. It's not like the movies where you park directly outside a bank robbery, or travel to a crime scene without traffic. You can't expect the RCMP to follow all the road rules fighting crime.

If they don't have their emergency lights activated, I expect them to adhere to all the laws governing them. In fact, imo they should be held to the highest standard.
Law enforcement certainly holds professional drivers to a higher standard than they do the average driver.

Lo @ fighting crime.
More like collecting taxes to be squandered in the black hole of general revenue.
If you really think they're fighting crime, give them a call when you come home to find your house robbed.
Instead of launching an investigation to identify and apprehend the criminal, they'll give you a file # so you can prove to an insurer that you called them.

Crime fighting has become a pathetic joke.
Unless you steal from the govt. Then they'll dump every resource necessary into getting you.

Traffic infractions are rife everywhere.
And there's almost zero enforcement.
It's a joke imo.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Wheels wrote:
I frequently see RCMP make illegal lane changes in intersections while turning left or right.

To a point, I would hate to see them delayed attending a domestic assault because they couldn't find legal parking. Travelling around with flashing lights non stop would be a little ridiculous.

Legal parking and not knowing how to properly turn at an intersection are two very different things.
Why you are arguing this speaks volumes about your own driving skills.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Why you are arguing this speaks volumes about your own driving skills.

Timeout. I'm not interested in personal attacks.Bye.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Since you obviously need clarification, if rcmp in a marked car is opposing you , you both have a green, you are turning right onto a two lane and the rcmp is turning left onto the same road, and the rcmp finished his turn into the far right outside lane that you are legally turning into, and they collide with you, their emergency lights are not activated, guess who is at fault.
Yet you think it's ok for them to drive like that?
Lol.

No wonder the roads are such a gong show.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Wheels wrote:

I'm sure that will get results.
Probably less results than calling them out on an internet forum will.
jasonjb

Post by jasonjb »

I suggest you never drive in a big city if you think Kelowna is dangerous.

Just stay in the slow lane until you need to make a left turn and the people who want to go 20+ over the speed limit wont be tailgating you
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

jasonjb wrote:I suggest you never drive in a big city if you think Kelowna is dangerous

Agreed. I don't see our traffic as that bad overall. Sure there's some idiots but my main traffic complaint is the lack of synchronisation of red lights.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

JLives wrote:
jasonjb wrote:I suggest you never drive in a big city if you think Kelowna is dangerous

Agreed. I don't see our traffic as that bad overall. Sure there's some idiots but my main traffic complaint is the lack of synchronisation of red lights.

Traffic isn't that bad. If people are having incidents on a daily basis, they need to look at their own habits.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Traffic is horrid.
Icbc reports almost 1000 crashes per day in bc.
A few of the intersections in kelowna are consistently in the top ten of the ones with the most accidents, yet I doubt they are anywhere close the top ten for traffic volume.
There's poor drivers everywhere. Lots of them.

There's tons of idiots out there.
Imo anyone who thinks there isn't is likely one of them.
Ignorance is bliss.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Bman wrote:Traffic is horrid.
Icbc reports almost 1000 crashes per day in bc.
A few of the intersections in kelowna are consistently in the top ten of the ones with the most accidents, yet I doubt they are anywhere close the top ten for traffic volume.
There's poor drivers everywhere. Lots of them.

There's tons of idiots out there.
Imo anyone who thinks there isn't is likely one of them.
Ignorance is bliss.

Yes today i witnessed a Range Rover who was sitting waiting to turn left on a red just gun it through when nothing was coming yet the cross traffic had green, he could have been t boned....idiot! Then i merge off 97 up the ramp to the new shopping centre off Westside Rd and as i get nearer the lights they are green, idiot driver at lights just sitting there. I honked, they shot off straight into right hand lane which is the turn lane for highway but as they got to roundabout went straight on, almost colliding with me who was in the left through lane!!!! Idiots
As for cops i've seen poor driving skills and speeding with no lights activated on multiple occasions. Last week i was caught and passed by cruiser in the 50km/hr section heading out of Penticton, the same section they regularly set up speed traps for the public yet i was doing 55 and he must have been doing 65 -70 to catch and pass me!!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Speaking of one of those intersections...
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -collision
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

jasonjb wrote:I suggest you never drive in a big city if you think Kelowna is dangerous.

I've driven in plenty of big cities. Driving in Kelowna sucks, and is dangerous, because you bunch of assclowns can't seem to figure out how to signal, stop, turn, change lanes... the works.

The fact you don't seem to recognize there's an issue is both telling and sad.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I don't know where you people get the idea that a police officer must have emergency lights on their police vehicle to disobey traffic laws.

Exemption for emergency vehicles
    122 (1) Despite anything in this Part, but subject to subsections (2) and (4), a driver of an emergency vehicle may do the following:
    (a) exceed the speed limit;
    (b) proceed past a red traffic control signal or stop sign without stopping;
    (c) disregard rules and traffic control devices governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions;
    (d) stop or stand.
    (2) The driver of an emergency vehicle must not exercise the privileges granted by subsection (1) except in accordance with the regulations.
    (3) [Repealed 1997-30-2.]
    (4) The driver of an emergency vehicle exercising a privilege granted by subsection (1) must drive with due regard for safety, having regard to all the circumstances of the case, including the following:
    (a) the nature, condition and use of the highway;
    (b) the amount of traffic that is on, or might reasonably be expected to be on, the highway;
    (c) the nature of the use being made of the emergency vehicle at the time.

...and before someone says "ya but an emergency vehicle must have it's lights on to be one....

"emergency vehicle" means any of the following:
    (a) a motor vehicle, or cycle as defined in Part 3, carrying rescue or first aid equipment if there is an urgent emergency justifying a rate of speed in excess of any maximum rate of speed provided for in this Act;
    (b) a motor vehicle, or cycle as defined in Part 3, driven by a member of a fire department in the discharge of his or her duties;
    (c) a motor vehicle, or cycle as defined in Part 3, driven by a peace officer, constable or member of the police branch of Her Majesty's Armed Forces in the discharge of his or her duty;
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

jasonjb wrote:

I suggest you never drive in a big city if you think Kelowna is dangerous.

Just stay in the slow lane until you need to make a left turn and the people who want to go 20+ over the speed limit wont be tailgating you

I've driven in Paris, London, Seattle, las Vegas, San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles and numerous others, except for Los Angeles I would sooner drive in them than Kelowna. I have driven on roads and Highways in most of Europe, Great Britain, Ireland, much of the USA and Canada and again would sooner drive almost anywhere than BC, the Okanagan in particular. I have never see so many bad drivers in such a small area. Every year when I come back from the south I can tell as soon as I hit BC. We need something to convince drivers to smarten up and I believe photo radar could be a part of that. Another thing I liked was a marked police car beside the highway with a cardboard dummy in it. I believe that would work well and every now and then substitute real cops with radar etc so the idiot drivers that like to speed etc never know for sure what is out there.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”