Nuclear Fusion

Cactusflower
Banned

Nuclear Fusion

Post by Cactusflower »

For those of you who missed CBC's The National tonight, I'd like to provide the 20-minute YouTube video of the sstory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQzwCDuA394
We may be closer to a break-through than we think.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Nuclear Fusion

Post by Jflem1983 »

Seeing as how a dam and a pipeline are too contreversial. I can not see nuclear ever getting off the ground in todays BC. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 27th, 2017, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Jflem1983 wrote:Seeing as how a dam and a pipeline are too contreversial. I can not see nuclear ever getting off the ground in todays BC. We r run by psychos after all.

It wasn't so long ago that the 'horseless carriage' was a controversial idea too. Next time you're down in Burnaby you should drop in at General Fusion and check out their operation.

Oh, and please explain that last sentence. It makes no sense.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I
Cactusflower wrote:It wasn't so long ago that the 'horseless carriage' was a controversial idea too.
I don't know about that - early 1800's seems long ago and I don't recall reading any controversy regarding the actual building of them.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
It wasn't so long ago that the 'horseless carriage' was a controversial idea too..

not really. The whole Big Green taxpayer-dollar-sucking enviro-panic movement hadn't been born yet, so there was no money in fear-mongering for profit at that time like there is now with the Sierra Club and Gr$$npeace. So no, not really a controversy. Just a societal change that was necessary as no one knew what to do with the growing mounds of horse manure that were accumulating in major cities and disease was becoming more and more rampant. And whales were being hunted to extinction. The automobile came just in time. Thank goodness for petroleum, what a miracle and what a benefit to all mankind.

I do think Nuclear power is the wave of the future. The only real stumbling block to transitioning to this abundant fuel source are fear-mongering panicky idiots, who always stand in the way of progress, or who use lies about other sources of energy to co-opt funding and research, like we see with incredibly stupid people still pumping dead technologies like solar and wind.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Fancy wrote:I
Cactusflower wrote:It wasn't so long ago that the 'horseless carriage' was a controversial idea too.
I don't know about that - early 1800's seems long ago and I don't recall reading any controversy regarding the actual building of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car

Considering that the fossils which are responsible for fossil fuels have been around for eons, I don't think early 1900s, just one century before the first electric car was available in North America is a very long time. And you better believe there was controversy. You can find evidence of that on Google as well.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
Considering that the fossils which are responsible for fossil fuels have been around for eons, I don't think early 1900s, just one century before the first electric car was available in North America is a very long time. And you better believe there was controversy. You can find evidence of that on Google as well.

There's always a controversy when there is a new technology that is a disruptor, but mostly the resistance comes from those who are traditional and fear change (just like those who are still pushing antiquated wind and solar technology can't grasp that these technologies are dead). The automobile was a miracle innovation for mankind, thanks to another miracle innovation, petroleum. Thank you to all those who went before us and brought us these two amazing inventions that propeled mankind to a whole new level of standard of living.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote: I don't think early 1900s, just one century before the first electric car was available in North America is a very long time. And you better believe there was controversy. You can find evidence of that on Google as well.
I didn't say "early 1900s" now did I? And you're the one that needs to provide the information - googling it didn't provide a controversy.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Fusion is no where near fission

Heres some homework

https://nuclear.duke-energy.com/2013/01 ... difference
Last edited by maryjane48 on Dec 27th, 2017, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

An earlier article:
Michael Delage, the chief technology officer at Burnaby-based General Fusion, says the goal is to develop a prototype fusion power plant by 2030 — that could eventually be scaled up to replace oil and gas.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3953187
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Nuclear is definately the future. We just need to prove ourselves worthy of handling it for the long term. Through technology and not through the profit motive. It's too dangerous to cut corners with.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Fancy wrote:
Cactusflower wrote: I don't think early 1900s, just one century before the first electric car was available in North America is a very long time. And you better believe there was controversy. You can find evidence of that on Google as well.
I didn't say "early 1900s" now did I? And you're the one that needs to provide the information - googling it didn't provide a controversy.

Let's not quibble about who invented the first gasoline-powered automobile, okay? So a German fellow invented one in the late 1800s and the first notable one in North America was Ford's Model T in the early 1900s. It's not important. Some of this is important regarding the controversy though:
https://www.britannica.com/topic/automotive-industry

However, getting back on-topic, nuclear fusion is not very controversial. Scientists have been trying to perfect it for years, as you would have seen if you watched the YouTube video I provided. I can't think of any alternative renewable energy source that hasn't been around for years. Ergo, not very controversial in the modern world.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

There seems to be some confusion around here concerning nuclear fission and nuclear fusion. Here's a link that shows the difference between the two:
https://nuclear.duke-energy.com/2013/01 ... difference
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

AND, what do they do with the spent fuel rods at the end of their usefulness? Their disposal is a big problem in the USA. Maybe just bury them and hope that the radiation doesn't kill the Wild Pacific Salmon.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

alanjh595 wrote:AND, what do they do with the spent fuel rods at the end of their usefulness? Their disposal is a big problem in the USA. Maybe just bury them and hope that the radiation doesn't kill the Wild Pacific Salmon.

Once again you're confusing nuclear fusion with nuclear fission. Both MJ and I have posted the link that shows the difference. Please read it.

Return to “B.C.”