What the heck is Wrong with People ? ? ?

Home of the traffic rant.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Accidents all over today....

Post by the truth »

dle wrote:
gsc wrote:We have has many very close calls on our own road. The ice "was" very thick at our stop sign onto Gerstmar Rd. My wife and my self managed to chip up a lot of it so that people can at least stop now and not slide right through. We also chipped up as much off the street as we could before having to go work plowing lol.

Thanks for doing that intersection. The ice at intersections is one of my biggest concern about the road maintenance. It's one of the most dangerous, scary spots to be when it snows and they get icy - I think they should be sanded right away. Perhaps a City sandbox and shovel on the street corners could be used by City staff to just sprinkle some around the intersections during the day. Is that a silly thought?

makes no sense does it,if anything imo its gross negligence
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

the truth wrote:
gsc wrote:I get don't why the city doesn't drop salt as its extremely expensive and is horrible for vehicles but sand at least. When you can actually put on skates and skate around it's time to sand.

you would think so :135: ,the real question ,why not

I can't answer that lol I also can't answer why they drive around with the plow blades up in times when they should be down. My guess would be not enough accidents yet to worry about sand I guess.

It really is common sense to sand when roads are ice but clearly the city is lacking the common sense part.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

dle wrote:
gsc wrote:We have has many very close calls on our own road. The ice "was" very thick at our stop sign onto Gerstmar Rd. My wife and my self managed to chip up a lot of it so that people can at least stop now and not slide right through. We also chipped up as much off the street as we could before having to go work plowing lol.

Thanks for doing that intersection. The ice at intersections is one of my biggest concern about the road maintenance. It's one of the most dangerous, scary spots to be when it snows and they get icy - I think they should be sanded right away. Perhaps a City sandbox and shovel on the street corners could be used by City staff to just sprinkle some around the intersections during the day. Is that a silly thought?

You are more than welcome. We might have even seen you today while we where out there breaking up all the ice :biggrin: .
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#214879 keep up the great job snow plow guys :200: --not---
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-214879-1-.htm#214879 keep up the great job snow plow guys :200: --not---

I'll stick to plowing with my side by side as it seems to do a way better job than the city trucks. I just don't carry a sander on it but we try to break up as much ice and snow when we do a job.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

To the people who constantly blame road crews and not the drivers for all the accidents happening just ask yourself, how did the five cars before that accident car in the five cars after that accident car make it through without a problem.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
gsc
Board Meister

Re: What the heck is Wrong with People ? ? ?

Post by gsc »

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Awe .. C'MON T ....

Slow down and pay attention... It's no big deal if you know how too

Zamboni drivers do it all . the . time .

Cool vid though.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

MAPearce wrote:Awe .. C'MON T ....

Slow down and pay attention... It's no big deal if you know how too

Zamboni drivers do it all . the . time .

Cool vid though.

i am fine with winter driving, yes this is about slowing down and paying attention, but this is also about the city of kelowna and the snow plows not doing there jobs imo
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

LOL if everybody traveled at 30 km/h, the city would come to a standstill.

Drive according to conditions. On the highway, I can confidently go 60-80. Smaller streets if the pavement is good around 60-70. On narrow streets, by all means, go snail pace.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Got home about an hour ago. Roads are complete crap in Lake Country. Doesn’t look like the plows or sanders have been by in OK Center. The corner by Grey Monk is horrible. Hopefully folks coming home from work tonight take it slow through there.

As for elsewhere in the area....Found the roads to be very slippery in spots. Glenmore wasn’t great. Some parts of Kelowna could definitely use sand and/or salt. I have new studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9s on my SUV and did fine. I could see it being bad for someone driving a 2 wheel drive car with crappy tires. Seems like there were a lot of those people out there today.

I have lived all over Canada. To be honest, I’ve never seen such poor road clearing...or lack there of, as I’ve seen here in the Okanagan. It’s pretty ridiculous.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Even Steven wrote:LOL if everybody traveled at 30 km/h, the city would come to a standstill.

Drive according to conditions. On the highway, I can confidently go 60-80. Smaller streets if the pavement is good around 60-70. On narrow streets, by all means, go snail pace.

Around Kelowna is 50kph unless otherwise posted. Now remember it's not how fast you can go that's important, it's how fast/quickly you can safely stop that important in winter conditions.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

dle wrote:A local lawyer feels it is ALL driver error.

I think the lawyer's right.

This anecdote isn't from the Okanagan but Geography doesn't matter with the OPs' question.

Early in the morning last week i had to venture out about 40km East of Fox Creek then off the highway to the middle-of-nowhere to retrieve equipment ...and return it to Fox.

the 1st trip was in the dark - heavy snow fall - slick roads. = everyone was driving to conditions.
the 2nd trip was in daylight - snow had stopped - slick roads = multiple vehicles in the ditches

Only 40km to my turn-off and on my second return trip i counted 6 in ditch + 1 who passed a truck too fast, cut in front of the heavy-hauler too close, and carried right on off the road - just behind me a little ways)

Only factors that changed between trip 1 & 2 was
- the daylight
- the snow had stopped
I guess this caused many drivers to assume t'was "all good" even though the road was still clearly sh*t

...later that day i heard of a 17 vehicle pile-up on Hwy43 [1 fatality] - 20km East of Fox.

The road conditions didn't actually deteriorate or improve throughout that day - from what i had seen earlier, the daylight/no snowfall drivers just failed to drive to conditions or keep their proper distances.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Even Steven wrote:LOL if everybody traveled at 30 km/h, the city would come to a standstill.

Don't come down my street doing 60-70. As ultraviolet said to many people going way to fast. We live in a residential area and have families and pets out side. I don't care how good of a driver you are or how good your tires are. If a kid or pet jumps out from behind a car your gonna hit them. In our neighborhood if some one wants to fly down our street they might find someone stopping them to tell them to slow the :cuss: down.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

i am fine with winter driving, yes this is about slowing down and paying attention, but this is also about the city of kelowna and the snow plows not doing there jobs imo

I'm sure you're fine with winter driving T however , when the CoK comes to you with an invoice that reflects your "demands" of snow removal being as prompt as you think it should be , I'll bet a dollar against a pinch of *bleep* poop you argue about that too...

I just got in from a smoke and I have to shovel my walk again ...

To keep my walk to your standards ....I'd be on OT for another 5 hours .

Give them a break , it's winter and this was predicted . Stay home M'kay ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”