Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Post by GordonH »

Catri wrote:Today a "big steel box" was delivered to someone on my street and it was dropped in the road allowance (no curbs or sidewalks here), essentially parallel parked in front of the house, very close to the traveled portion of the road. Not only is it unsightly and illegal, it's going to make that portion of the road get a lot narrower when the snowplow comes by. I complained to the city about this same issue at a different address a couple of years ago. They diligently came out and the offending shipping container was taken away. I don't want to be the civic policeman for my street and won't bother calling in bylaw this time, but it makes me wonder whether the people who operate these container rental companies know where they should and should not be placed and don't care, or are just ignorant of the rules regarding their business. I suspect the former...and it annoys. My husband's suggestion was to go slap a "free" sign on it and wait for the anonymous and invisible collectors of roadside stuff to magically make it disappear.

Curious question:
Did the home have a driveway, if not were would you suggest dropping the storage container at.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:They wil, pick it up and move it into your driveway or nearby for 175 buxl

FINALLY !!! .. Someone who read the post , heard the question AND answered it ....

Boy , we "Castanutters" sure do enjoy imparting our "knowledge" on others , don't we ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

They just asked a Q. Freak I have seen ppl here get bent over all sorts of crap, a simply Q and they get rained on
" just talk to them
Right, just talk to everyone, except your husbands, wives, Bosses
They asked a Question
Next
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

GordonH wrote:Curious question:
Did the home have a driveway, if not were would you suggest dropping the storage container at.

The home does have a driveway, quite a roomy driveway at that and a generous front yard as well. Even if it didn't, not having a driveway doesn't entitle you to use public property for your personal storage needs.

My issue is not with people renting shipping containers, it's with the container companies knowingly and illegally placing their containers on public property. The neighbour directly across the street from me has had one on their property for over a year and it doesn't bother me one bit. I would definitely consider using one if I were moving or renovating and you can be sure that it would be entirely contained on my own property for the duration.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

MAPearce wrote:
phasyluck wrote:My dad just moved this summer and they had one of those for less than a week, is it better to leave you belongings in the driveway so people can have a free for all? First world problem....NIMBY at its finest.

3 pizzas and 24 beer and me and my crew could have'er done in hours...

PM me for me " the deets"
. Thats how it used to be, he is near 70 and most of us semi young strong backs don't live in town!
Sure do love Rutland!!
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

. Thats how it used to be, he is near 70 and most of us semi young strong backs don't live in town!

2 pizzas , 2 bottles of red wine ,6 day passes from "the home" , some war stories and a ride there and back ?

We'll git it done ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Catri wrote:
GordonH wrote:Curious question:

The home does have a driveway, quite a roomy driveway at that and a generous front yard as well. Even if it didn't, not having a driveway doesn't entitle you to use public property for your personal storage needs.

My issue is not with people renting shipping containers, it's with the container companies knowingly and illegally placing their containers on public property. The neighbour directly across the street from me has had one on their property for over a year and it doesn't bother me one bit. I would definitely consider using one if I were moving or renovating and you can be sure that it would be entirely contained on my own property for the duration.

You said the home had no real estate sign, so you’re assuming it may be for storing contents during renovations. I’m curious - have you called the container supplier? Do you know if they obtained permission from bylaw to place the container there? Do you know the residents of the property? Have you ever talked to anyone from that property? How long have you lived there? How long have the residents of the property been there? Do you know anything at all about the residents of the property? They may in fact have a very good reason for placing the container where they did, however unless you come out from behind your curtain and hang up the phone before hitting the speed dial button for Bylaws, you’ll never know. Yet, you’ll continue to peer out the window and curse under your breath every time your glance crosses the container and continue to vent about how wrong it is for it to be there to anyone that will listen - except for the very people that could answer all your questions and concerns - your neighbors. I thank my lucky stars I don’t have neighbors like that - and do my best not to be a neighbor like that.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Queen K wrote:Oh man, I can't believe this. The shipping container is there for ONE freakin day?

Whatever happened to "live and let live"? Now if it's there for a month, okay, then do some investigative work, but for Gods Sake, much ado about nothing.

Go do something constructive. Seriously.

You can really tell who doesn’t get out much by the stuff they complain about. This is a non issue, but somebody felt it important enough to start a thread about some stupid shipping container. Man oh man.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Oh for pity sake Walter try reading all the words instead of going off on half of them, I have said I have no intention of calling the City about this. I have done so in the past when another neighbour had their shipping container on the street for months on end and learned that no indeed, you can't place those containers on the road allowance legally. I have lived in this house for coming up on 28 years, not that I think that's particularly relevant to the discussion and no, I don't know the residents of that particular house as it's quite a distance up the street from me, in fact, I can't see the container from my house. You paint me as some kind of curtain twitcher and totally miss the point of my post, which was that the businesses who rent these containers are placing them irresponsibly. I have stated that three times in this thread, I don't know how to use smaller words so the self-appointed arbiters of what people are allowed to be concerned about here will understand.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

But you still started a thread about it. Lol
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Hmmm wrote:But you still started a thread about it. Lol
...and you posted in it [icon_lol2.gif]
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Hmmm wrote:
Queen K wrote:Oh man, I can't believe this. The shipping container is there for ONE freakin day?

Whatever happened to "live and let live"? Now if it's there for a month, okay, then do some investigative work, but for Gods Sake, much ado about nothing.

Go do something constructive. Seriously.

You can really tell who doesn’t get out much by the stuff they complain about. This is a non issue, but somebody felt it important enough to start a thread about some stupid shipping container. Man oh man.

Know what? When I renovated my house, I should have rented a shipping container, packed my stuff into it and let the workers have more room here, I would have fewer things wreaked or full of dust. But I also have the luxury of a long driveway. Not everyone does. And containers cost.

So I'm thinking that these people either had to do what I did or are downsizing their house big time, or moving and it's easier to unload big items all at once than one move at a time.

OMIGOD, the humanity!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Catri wrote:Today a "big steel box" was delivered to someone on my street and it was dropped in the road allowance (no curbs or sidewalks here), essentially parallel parked in front of the house, very close to the traveled portion of the road. Not only is it unsightly and illegal, it's going to make that portion of the road get a lot narrower when the snowplow comes by. I complained to the city about this same issue at a different address a couple of years ago. They diligently came out and the offending shipping container was taken away. I don't want to be the civic policeman for my street and won't bother calling in bylaw this time, but it makes me wonder whether the people who operate these container rental companies know where they should and should not be placed and don't care, or are just ignorant of the rules regarding their business. I suspect the former...and it annoys. My husband's suggestion was to go slap a "free" sign on it and wait for the anonymous and invisible collectors of roadside stuff to magically make it disappear.

Despite the fact it's "parallel parked" in front of their house and not impacting traffic, and despite the fact you later admitted you can't even see it after pulling back your curtains to look down the street, and despite the fact you claim to have called bylaw before about the issue with another neighbor on your street, and despite the fact it bothers you so much you created a discussion topic about it, and despite the fact you've yet to call the actual offending container company to discuss the matter, and despite the fact you have no idea who rented it and for what purpose or how long it may be there, and despite the fact it clearly and admittedly annoys you (your words), - despite all this - I'm the one who's missing the point? Right.

If you were truly concerned about the issues of legality, you'd have called city bylaw and the container company to have your questions and concerns answered, rather than creating a complaint topic on a discussion board and then back-peddling when others call you out on the simple fact you're doing nothing but making someone's difficult day that much more difficult by demanding rules (that you aren't even sure about) be enforced because something you can't even see - bothers you. I think my conclusions of the scenario in your 'hood posted previously are far closer to the mark than you'd like to admit.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Walter, I haven't backpedaled a thing. All I've done is try to reiterate and clarify what I've said in an attempt to dispel your apparent commitment to misreading it as something far more sinister than it is. There's no point in arguing with you further. The ironic thing is that you seem to be waaaay more worked up about this thread than I am about the shipping container.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Catri wrote:Walter, I haven't backpedaled a thing. All I've done is try to reiterate what I've said in an attempt to dispel your apparent commitment to misreading it as something far more sinister than it is. There's no point in arguing with you further. The ironic thing is that you seem to be waaaay more worked up about this thread than I am about the shipping container.

You haven't backpedalled and it's obvious who has bothered to read your first post. Seems that posters have forgotten what the discussion board is for (lively exchange of ideas through constructive debate). Complaining about your post is funny to me never mind making wild assumptions. I'd wait and see if it does impede traffic (then of course make a call) and I wouldn't wait 6 months either. A lot of people are ignorant of the laws.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”