What the heck is Wrong with People ? ? ?

Home of the traffic rant.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: What the heck is Wrong with People ? ? ?

Post by Queen K »

I can't decide if I'm glad I have brand new Winters or if my lifestyle choices allowed me to save for them.

Heck both.

I wonder how people swearing by their All-Seasons are doing lately.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

So.....somehow we got over 6 inches of fresh snow from 10 pm last night until 8 am this morning, and guess what.....
We still have idiots running every stop sign and blasting down the road at high speeds.
Maybe today is going to be the day someone gets seriously hurt.
I am convinced that many people have totally lost their minds!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

man,this town has waaaay more than its fare share of f :cuss: morons
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

UltraViolet wrote:I am convinced that many people have totally lost their minds!

I'm convinced they weren't born with one in the first place. Absolutely no common sense!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

UltraViolet wrote:So.....somehow we got over 6 inches of fresh snow from 10 pm last night until 8 am this morning, and guess what.....
We still have idiots running every stop sign and blasting down the road at high speeds.
Maybe today is going to be the day someone gets seriously hurt.
I am convinced that many people have totally lost their minds!

I pray you are wrong about someone getting hurt but I certainly saw the same things you did so it would appear to be just a mater of time. I was doing 30, the fast lane was doing probably 50+ average with snow blowing everywhere - all but one of the fast-moving vehicles were trucks - the one vehicle that wasn't, was a little green thing like an Echo or something - and it just blasted by. Was also beside a semi-trucker (at 7:45 this morning and I AM reporting him) going down Harvey, middle lane, between Ethel & Richeter, trying to make the light at Richter after it had been green for a long time. He HAD to know he was going to hit it yellow, but more likely red but he still sped up to give it a go. Then when it changed to yellow when he knew he was too far away to run it, he had to hit the binders. I was beside the jackass and watching his wheels lock up, let go, lock up, and him sliding towards the intersection. He got it stopped but I was furious and I took note of the company name but couldn't see a truck #. I was beside him but as soon as I saw what his plan was, I just gently slowed a bit at a time so I could get back and not be beside him because I thought for sure he was going sideways.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

They can usually figure it out with date and time and location who the driver is. Some even have recording devices with GPS on their trucks and can verify with that.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I just skimmed through the four pages, I get a good laugh from people @itching about the road crews. Having done road clearing I have first hand experience with it. People complaining that they are driving around with their plows up, if they are out of sand they can’t plow and are going to get more sand, they would need to go to which ever pit they get it from, that takes time. Road salt at these low temperatures and with so much snow won’t do much. The other issue is the moron drivers, if you are out spinning your tires on the roadways then you are removing the sand from the road and polishing them up making them icy. Here’s a tip, drive with your tires on the mound of snow in the center when possible, that is where the sand piles up, you will have traction and it re-distributes the sand.

One more tip, it is winter in Canada, this happens every year! Why are people in such a state of shock?

A354E62E-DC30-4D92-932E-10460929F9DA.jpeg
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

TreeGuy wrote:I just skimmed through the four pages, I get a good laugh from people @itching about the road crews. Having done road clearing I have first hand experience with it. People complaining that they are driving around with their plows up, if they are out of sand they can’t plow and are going to get more sand, they would need to go to which ever pit they get it from, that takes time. Road salt at these low temperatures and with so much snow won’t do much. The other issue is the moron drivers, if you are out spinning your tires on the roadways then you are removing the sand from the road and polishing them up making them icy. Here’s a tip, drive with your tires on the mound of snow in the center when possible, that is where the sand piles up, you will have traction and it re-distributes the sand.

One more tip, it is winter in Canada, this happens every year! Why are people in such a state of shock?

A354E62E-DC30-4D92-932E-10460929F9DA.jpeg

Yep makes sense, thanks! Except, if they can't plow unless they have sand in the double-duty trucks, then maybe we need to go back to separate trucks?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yup :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Well it looks like another 25cm of snow is on the way. This means more idiot drivers flying down residential streets. I am extremely happy no one got hurt on our street while shoveling snow. I guess the new cool thing is to drive like an :cuss: hole and blow through stop signs like no one will ever hit you. Guess what your not invisible and karma can be a :cuss:.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

we can only hope that they kill themselves while doing this and no one else
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Another area of concern, which is my ultimate favorite next to speeding down a residential road, or running stop signs...
Are the number of lazy axe morons who can't even clean the snow off their vehicles before putting it in drive!
Get in, start the engine....sit inside, watch the wipers sweep some of the snow off, think man it's cold......
Oh, that will be good enough, the snow will blow off when I'm driving 70 in a 50 zone!

Just look at all the hundreds of vehicles driving around with snow on the roofs and windows!
Years ago, people would get ticketed for this, now safety means nothing, and the RCMP's new motto is to make Kelowna the safest City that it can be.......Guess what.....it's an RCMP fail because cops don't care about safety.

If the RCMP actually cared about safety, they would be Pro-active, and maybe help prevent accidents by getting nutcases put in their place. As it is, it's an anything goes City, full of every kind of nutcase!
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

UltraViolet wrote:Another area of concern, which is my ultimate favorite next to speeding down a residential road, or running stop signs...
Are the number of lazy axe morons who can't even clean the snow off their vehicles before putting it in drive!
Get in, start the engine....sit inside, watch the wipers sweep some of the snow off, think man it's cold......
Oh, that will be good enough, the snow will blow off when I'm driving 70 in a 50 zone!

Just look at all the hundreds of vehicles driving around with snow on the roofs and windows!
Years ago, people would get ticketed for this, now safety means nothing, and the RCMP's new motto is to make Kelowna the safest City that it can be.......Guess what.....it's an RCMP fail because cops don't care about safety.

If the RCMP actually cared about safety, they would be Pro-active, and maybe help prevent accidents by getting nutcases put in their place. As it is, it's an anything goes City, full of every kind of nutcase!

We had van in front of us today on Hollywood and half the roof snow came off and blinded us as it all flew off. That is also a very good point.

I don't know how many people stopped at the stop sign by your place but the ones by us clearly don't even exist it would seem. We had a situation on irma rd today where a car did stop then got stuck so he backed up and floored it. The problem is when he backed up a car started to come down our Rd and he almost it judging by the angle I had.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

UltraViolet wrote:Another area of concern, which is my ultimate favorite next to speeding down a residential road, or running stop signs...

I saw a cop pulled over yesterday with lights flashing on Harvey Ave about 2:45 - 2 vehicles were pulled over in front of him - didn't LOOK like an accident - if it was it had to be very minor - but that wasn't what interested me. What interested me was my own reaction to not only seeing a cop, but one actually doing something "coppy"! It surprised me to see one, kind of like "holy cow, we do have cops" lol! I know I shouldn't think like that but seriously that is what popped into my head and I wasn't entirely joking with myself. That got me thinking about what the actual duties of cops are these days. Quite honestly, I haven't a clue. They don't seem to do things cops that I grew up with did. I hardly ever even see one. Maybe they all do paperwork now and don't get out and about much unless there is a serious accident, or a murder, or a bank robbery, or a home invasion.

We used to see cops pulling people over all the time and giving them tickets for stuff. Used to be a reminder :1422: to not do certain stuff or you could be pulled over next and get the fine. I do think it curbed some really stupid activity. At least it made us think they were doing SOMETHING. I know they must be doing something but I don't know what it is. I think it's all just jungle rules out there now. We are on our own.

It would surprise me A LOT if I saw a cop pull someone over for not brushing off their snow, or for only scraping off a peep hole in the windshield to see through, or for fishtailing down the road in the snow, or for.....well, you get it
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I was surprised and happy one day to see a motorcycle cop stop (An Albertan) from making an illegal U turn on Hwy 97 near Costco. It was just poetic justice that for once that I saw an Officer in the right place at the right time.

How often do you think to yourself when you see someone breaking the law that you wish a Cop was there.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”