Ice on the Coq

Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Ice on the Coq

Post by Hassel99 »

bob vernon wrote:The objective of a snowplowing contractor is to make money. The more time that trucks are out on the road burning fuel and wearing out blades, the less they make. So they try to do the absolute minimum. I've been on that road when it's been obvious that a plow hasn't been there for hours and it's snowing. Funny how they'll show up in force when the multi-car accident happens and even chained up semis can't move.

This is pure BS.

The contractor is responsible for the requirements in the contract, no more no less.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Anyone who says do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again never shovelled a Canadian driveway, or plowed a Canadian highway!

Only in Canada eh?!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

dle wrote:Anyone who says do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again never shovelled a Canadian driveway, or plowed a Canadian highway!

Only in Canada eh?!

The ones with the most negative of opinions, have never worked for a road maintenance company, to get a simple taste of just how unreasonable, and unattainable, their expectations actually are.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Old Techie wrote:
dle wrote:Anyone who says do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again never shovelled a Canadian driveway, or plowed a Canadian highway!

Only in Canada eh?!

The ones with the most negative of opinions, have never worked for a road maintenance company, to get a simple taste of just how unreasonable, and unattainable, their expectations actually are.

Probably correct but I'm one of the negative opinion types on this subject and I am stickin' to my story that MORE TRUCKS & CREWS would certainly help! They just haven't got the manpower going at it.

What I expect is not to have to snowplow through snow myself on major routes, to see some sand now and then on the plowed areas, to see sand trucks actually depositing said sand, and I also expect to have sand at all intersections several times a day as needed. I also expect to not watch videos of people actually ice skating down our roads as much fun as it is to say "only in Canada"!! Is that too much to ask? I don't think so.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

dle wrote:What I expect is not to have to snowplow through snow myself on major routes, to see some sand now and then on the plowed areas, to see sand trucks actually depositing said sand, and I also expect to have sand at all intersections several times a day as needed. I also expect to not watch videos of people actually ice skating down our roads as much fun as it is to say "only in Canada"!! Is that too much to ask? I don't think so.

Ummmmmm........ you live in Canada, not to mention the most mountainous province, so yes your expectations are too much to ask in many instances.

May I suggest Arizona as a residence perhaps. :biggrin:
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Old Techie wrote:
dle wrote:What I expect is not to have to snowplow through snow myself on major routes, to see some sand now and then on the plowed areas, to see sand trucks actually depositing said sand, and I also expect to have sand at all intersections several times a day as needed. I also expect to not watch videos of people actually ice skating down our roads as much fun as it is to say "only in Canada"!! Is that too much to ask? I don't think so.

Ummmmmm........ you live in Canada, not to mention the most mountainous province, so yes your expectations are too much to ask in many instances.

May I suggest Arizona as a residence perhaps. :biggrin:

Works for me! (probably find myself in a damn sand storm!)
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Old Techie wrote:

I disagree. Its not unattainable, as we've seen in previous years - maintenance was simply better than it is now. I'm not blaming the drivers or workers, trust me, they're working men and women doing what they're told and I'm cool with that - but there is no denying that highway maintenance in this Province simply sucks.

I agree that one has to have reasonable expectations, as during a snow storm - but for them to take weeks instead of days to get the crap off the road is unacceptable.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Dec 28th, 2017, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dle wrote:
Dizzy 1 I disagree strongly with the first part of your post BUT heartily agree with the second part! Drivers need to literally "get a grip" and slow down, and road maintenance needs to up their game A LOT!

There are always those that don't drive to road conditions, but its extremely tiring to hear that argument over and over by those who think that thats the only thing that matters.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

bob vernon wrote:The objective of a snowplowing contractor is to make money. The more time that trucks are out on the road burning fuel and wearing out blades, the less they make. So they try to do the absolute minimum. I've been on that road when it's been obvious that a plow hasn't been there for hours and it's snowing. Funny how they'll show up in force when the multi-car accident happens and even chained up semis can't move.

Therefore it is not all about the money then, but public safety.

Seriously, what would you get into business for?
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Here's a quote about a closure of the Coq. It's been snowing all day. Crews are en route. Shouldn't they be there already?

The closure, near Hope, is due to a vehicle crash. DriveBC is warning drivers of "heavy delays" and says crews are en route.

Heavy snow has been falling on the highway throughout the day, causing significant delays.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

The problem bob is that trying to debate people on here who only see the world through political biased glasees leads nowhere . I remember bc highways in winter when it was done by the province as do many others

When these folks who think everything is great lose family or friends because of poor. Work by the outsourced companies. Can run the words told yea though their head as the box is getting lowered into the ground .

Should be real cool feeling for them thinking. At least i made my political point even though some my family is now dead :135:
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

bob vernon wrote:Here's a quote about a closure of the Coq. It's been snowing all day. Crews are en route. Shouldn't they be there already?

The closure, near Hope, is due to a vehicle crash. DriveBC is warning drivers of "heavy delays" and says crews are en route.

Heavy snow has been falling on the highway throughout the day, causing significant delays.

So by your standards, you figure they should have a crew sitting covering every kilometer of the Coquihalla, just in case someone wrecks in any given section?

It might well be that the crash is large enough to require more than one crew, or even specialized tow trucks that have to come from elsewhere.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Since there is a large towing company based out of Hope, with a number of large tow trucks. Hope is little over 90 minutes to Merritt.

As for snowplow crews they should be out & about before snow started.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Where in bobs post is he talking about tow trucks ?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote:^^^ Since there is a large towing company based out of Hope, with a number of large tow trucks. Hope is little over 90 minutes to Merritt.

As for snowplow crews they should be out & about before snow started.

Uhuh.... a little over 90 minutes to Merritt in the summer with no traffic maybe. :biggrin: With snow falling and wrecks all over the place I'm guessing currently it might well be a little longer, plus you are also assuming these trucks are just sitting around waiting for a call, which would hardly be the case in this weather.

I'm sure the plows have been out and about, just not enough to please a lot of people who have extremely high expectations, given the current circumstances.

Return to “B.C.”