Tired of Handouts

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Re: Tired of Handouts

Post by artistwithaflare »

you say --every community offers rehab but the addicts need to do all the work--- god forbid they have to do something for themselves
you say --when the clean homeless come in for help they are terrified--- well you got that right, yes we should help the homeless, but the criminal
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the truth is....that's life! :up:
Yes, Addicts need to help themselves( I alluded to this in my original comment) BUT how can anyone help them self when they are drunk, or drugged up all the time?
Society will always have addictions becasue they are the vise for many who are looking for a happy high, in a dismal life.
Just say it as it is!
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

AlienSoldier wrote:
trapp wrote:
Just to get the record straight CPP is not a handout, nor is it funded by government. It is paid for by working people and their employers. It is our (working people) money and it is our right to collect it at retirement.

I was considering it a handout since it is similar to a tax on all who work. Some of us will get much more out of it than others since it is based not on what you put in but on your wealth and other investments when you retire. Also I put it in this category since it is the government that collects and manages the funds until they are paid out to the recipients.

Instead of thinking of CPP as a tax, or a handout, think of it as an investment that every worker makes in their future, because that is what it is. Too few people save for retirement especially when they are young and able, CPP ensures you will get all of that investment back when you are older and if you have worked. Also if you become disabled and have paid into it. CPP (pension) also can not be clawed back by companies, such as Sears, if they go bankrupt.

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I'm tired of handouts too. All of them. Get rid of them. Get rid of qualifiers. Get rid of the beauracy required.

And institute a gauranteed minimum income. Give our citizens stability and dignity to promote upward mobility.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

ya thats it gimme gimme gimme, every thing for free :200: :cuss:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Why am I suddenly remembering the advice my mom gave me when I was 12.

Rather than waste your energy complaining, work on finding a solution. :135:
You will be happier in the long run.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Jonrox wrote:If the handouts were cutoff, I think a lot of you would be surprised at how much more you would in fact start paying as the long-term ramifications of doing so would eventually take hold. Healthcare and legal costs alone would skyrocket and you'd see an increase to your tax bill... not the other way around.

There are some in our community, including on this board, who think that cutting off services to the homeless will make them simply disappear. Like they'll just wander off into the woods and we'll never see them again. Human beings, including the homeless, have a real knack for staying alive though.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

stuphoto wrote:Why am I suddenly remembering the advice my mom gave me when I was 12.

Rather than waste your energy complaining, work on finding a solution. :135:
You will be happier in the long run.

you are correct, then need to stop complaining that they want everything for free,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

JayByrd wrote:
Jonrox wrote:If the handouts were cutoff, I think a lot of you would be surprised at how much more you would in fact start paying as the long-term ramifications of doing so would eventually take hold. Healthcare and legal costs alone would skyrocket and you'd see an increase to your tax bill... not the other way around.

There are some in our community, including on this board, who think that cutting off services to the homeless will make them simply disappear. Like they'll just wander off into the woods and we'll never see them again. Human beings, including the homeless, have a real knack for staying alive though.

its not about the homeless, its about the useless homeless criminal junkies that want it all
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

the truth wrote:
its not about the homeless, its about the useless homeless criminal junkies that want it all

The criminal junkies who do have homes, do a lot more damage around here than the ones living on the streets.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

JayByrd wrote:
the truth wrote:

The criminal junkies who do have homes, do a lot more damage around here than the ones living on the streets.

all one and the same, they all cause damage ,
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

JayByrd wrote:

This is a good point. Towns that offer zero services for homeless tend to have less homeless.
Lloydminster comes to mind. No homeless people there really. No services for them .

Here we have lots of handouts so we get homeless people. I guess its something to feel good about. We help our own.

Be nice if Leon didnt look like a war zone though
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Jflem1983 wrote:
This is a good point. Towns that offer zero services for homeless tend to have less homeless.
Here we have lots of handouts so we get homeless people.

And in turn have to pay for the entire Countries homeless with only local tax monies.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Jflem1983 wrote:Lloydminster comes to mind. No homeless people there really. No services for them .

As well as it's -26 in Lloydminster. Where would you rather be? It's cold enough here.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Bsuds wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Lloydminster comes to mind. No homeless people there really. No services for them .

As well as it's -26 in Lloydminster. Where would you rather be? It's cold enough here.

There are homeless in Yellowknife though. Lots of services there. Lots of homeless. The weather only explains part of it. There are many factors at play. Dirty biker is right as well we are paying locally for a national issue.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the truth wrote:ya thats it gimme gimme gimme, every thing for free :200: :cuss:

If you dont like itbmove to dofferent country .its the way addiction is going to be dealt with and homelessness from now on . Crying on a forum does nothing but make yourself look silly

Return to “Social Concerns”