Booking 2018 campsites in 2017?

Cactusflower
Banned

Booking 2018 campsites in 2017?

Post by Cactusflower »

Here's something that the NDP simply must review:
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/214892 ... -campsites

British Columbians have been effectively banished from B.C. campsites ever since the BCLP started this stupid reservation system . Greedy out-of-province tourists have been snatching popular campsites the minute reservation lines are open, booking them whether or not they plan to use them. If they don't plan to use them, they simply become reservation scalpers, much like concert ticket scalpers. It's time to go back to the previous system..........first come, first served. The reservation system was just another way for the government to rake in more $$ at the expense of B.C. residents.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Booking 2018 campsites in 2017?

Post by GordonH »

impo best system is & always will be, first come first serve...... leave reservation to hotel & motels.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Even though camping is something i dont part take anymore i would also like see ndp go back to first come first serve. . The bclibs reservation system is a bust and not fair
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Cactusflower wrote:Greedy out-of-province tourists

Hasty generalization. Try again.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Huge generalization. I camp with my family all the time and have almost ZERO problems getting sites. I've never used the online system. However, it is a great way to get revenue to keep our parks great and in the end isn't that the goal?

Why does it matter where the money comes from? Campers from out of province are bad?
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Also, reservations are the most efficient way to ensure the campsites are being used without people driving with their families all the way out to a BC Provincial Campground, to find them full, then what?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I would be OK with a 50/50 split between reservations and who gets there first.
If they are full all the time then maybe we need more spots?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:Even though camping is something i dont part take anymore i would also like see ndp go back to first come first serve. . The bclibs reservation system is a bust and not fair

Why is it not fair? Are BCers not able to make a reservation?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

I camp alot, never have I ever made a reservation, dont plan too ever.
there are plenty of places that are first come first serve
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

Why not go to BC Rec sites? Exactly the same service as Provincials (minus the ones with flush toilets,) pretty much always a spot available and only $12 a night typically.

Plus some of the most beautiful areas of the province :up:
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Chyren wrote: However, it is a great way to get revenue to keep our parks great and in the end isn't that the goal?

That's not my goal. My goal is to get a campsite.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Actually, the reservation system is a good idea, and generally, despite a few teething problems, it works well.

There are many campsites where bookings are not needed, but for the busy ones, it allows you to plan. E.g. let's say your first choice is Herald, and second choice is McDonald Creek - they are a long way apart. Being able to reserve means you can plan a holiday ahead of time - can't get in at Herald then see if you can get in at McDonald Creek, and work your way down a list of sites for that time period.

That said, there not enough campsites in the popular areas for prime summer camping, but I understand the cost pressures. Most of the sites are easy to get into except for July/August. Pretty hard to have enough sites in prime areas for that period, so reservations make sense.

The same situation exists at the popular sites in Washington State. You just have to plan ahead.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 8th, 2018, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 8th, 2018, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

Half the excitement is wondering if you will get a spot or not, and if you don't you keep driving until you find the next one!

I hate the reservation system. Its to easy for it to be manipulated.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.

Return to “B.C.”