Thousands without power

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Thousands without power

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#215074

If you lost your power, RIGHT NOW, what would you be doing?

Fumbling for candles? Matches? Old bics in the back of some drawer?

What's your back up plan?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Thousands without power

Post by Smurf »

Battery power. Low LED's that use little power. At this moment it would be the generator in our motorhome. If I was home in Coldstream and it lasted for any length of time I would use the hookup I've installed to connect my RV to the house to run all the necessities like furnace, lights, A/C etc as required. Have a wood stove backup for the cold. Iv'e already been told by a few neighbors if I'm home in the winter they will be coming for coffee which would be fine with us. The more the merrier.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I gots one of those "gyro flash lights" from Fortis...

But really , I grip another brew from the fridge before they get warm , enjoy it in the dark and then just sleep till daylight.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes, drink it while it's still cold, it's vital to make sure they are taken care of asap.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I have propane, cooking and heating machines, as well as a small
2000 generator/inverter.

My lap-top has battery power so as to still be able to antagonize peeps.

Enough winter wear and sleeping bags for several.
Food in the cupboards, plenty of water.

A reliable vehicle just outside the door.
A full 25 litre fuel can in my utility trailer.
Last edited by dirtybiker on Dec 29th, 2017, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Go for a drive :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Let’s pray for them
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh no, are you seriously comparing the loss of 15 people all at once to a power outage? :135:
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Being on the windy coast we are prepared. We don't light candles as they are a fire risk with kids and pets. We have flashlights, we have plug in lights that go one when the power goes out. We camp so we have the cooking stuff, wood stove for heat. However we are on the grid for the hospital so it never goes out for long...longest was 4 hours. MIL lived a sproat lake and it was often out for days.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

I have solar panels which go into a converter that has a switch between selling to the province or using in the house with a battery. I'd flip that switch and be fine as long as electricity demand is reduced by my household.

Back up plan would be to light fireworks in my backyard until the police come and go to a nice comfy free hotel for the night.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Queen K wrote:Oh no, are you seriously comparing the loss of 15 people all at once to a power outage? :135:

Why would you say such a thing?! My post said nothing about loss of life.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Omnitheo wrote:Let’s pray for them

Considering what you've said on the other thread, I see where QueenK is coming from.
Your comment is without merit since you don't believe prayer helps.

Talking about power outage here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=68122

But back to topic:
Queen K wrote:If you lost your power, RIGHT NOW, what would you be doing?

Probably cleaning out something since right now it's light out. When this question was asked - go to bed and watch Netflix on the laptop.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

No prayer doesn’t help. There are still 450,000 people in Puerto Rico without power. 6 months after the hurricane. That’s how powerful #prayforpuertorico has been.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

What does that have to do with:
If you lost your power, RIGHT NOW, what would you be doing?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Posting here from one of my phones :p

I actually take regularly multi week camping trips without power. If the power was gonna be out here for a week I’d likely take it as an excuse to go camping. “Welp, might as well hit the road”

As for the person who said they’d watch Netflix, they’d likely need to tether to a phone and use data as their internet would be down too.

Return to “Social Concerns”