Affordable units on Clement

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Affordable units on Clement

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#215056, this is just an example of how clueless the over educated in charge of this are, these units will be rented at 10percent below market rates :200: :laugh: :laugh:
how much does a 1 bedroom in a nice new building go for in kelowna these days no less than $1,100 maybe more ?
take off 10% that would make the rent $910 a month not including everything else, and the city calls this affordable housing :200: :200: these people kill me
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Affordable units on Clement

Post by Queen K »

The six-storey, 58-unit development planned as part of a reimagining of Clement Avenue will be a purpose-built rental housing project.

The project's developers say the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation will subsidize the cost of the apartments so they can be rented below market value.

That will allow the developers to offer “market-quality rental housing” at 10 per cent below market rates, for ten years.

In order to make the development happen, the developers are asking the City of Kelowna for permission to consolidate six properties along Clement Avenue to make room for the apartment building.

:200:

I have to agree with you truthy. And I've seen using the catch phrase "low income rental" only to have it turn into dust as planned anyways.

the city councillors have already rubber stamped this you bet. Kelowna is a developers wet dream.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-215056-1-.htm#215056, this is just an example of how clueless the over educated in charge of this are, these units will be rented at 10percent below market rates :200: :laugh: :laugh:
how much does a 1 bedroom in a nice new building go for in kelowna these days no less than $1,100 maybe more ?
take off 10% that would make the rent $910 a month not including everything else, and the city calls this affordable housing :200: :200: these people kill me

Actually - it’s the developers that called it “affordable housing”.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

They always use that to get their way.

In Kelowna anything under 600K is considered "affordable."
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

the whole thing is already a joke
Last edited by the truth on Dec 31st, 2017, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

TMBOkanagan wrote:
the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-215056-1-.htm#215056, this is just an example of how clueless the over educated in charge of this are, these units will be rented at 10percent below market rates :200: :laugh: :laugh:

Actually - it’s the developers that called it “affordable housing”.

and the city is on board with this bs,so ya them too
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm surprised there isn't a commercial component to the units, and wait for it, how many parking spots will there be? Or is it all "street parking" or because this is supposedly "low income" no parking because we all know they can't afford cars and are withing walking distance to shopping.

Stinks, the whole thing.
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

Queen K wrote:I'm surprised there isn't a commercial component to the units, and wait for it, how many parking spots will there be? Or is it all "street parking" or because this is supposedly "low income" no parking because we all know they can't afford cars and are withing walking distance to shopping.

Stinks, the whole thing.

Here is a link so you can check it out: http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevApps ... %20603.pdf
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Queen K wrote:I'm surprised there isn't a commercial component to the units, and wait for it, how many parking spots will there be? Or is it all "street parking" or because this is supposedly "low income" no parking because we all know they can't afford cars and are withing walking distance to shopping.

Stinks, the whole thing.

Ya I was right, the catch phrase "walk to work" is telling, because all people who work in downtown don't want real lives in real homes with yards and driveways and they definitely don't need vehicles which actually are usable in other aspects of their lives.

MQN Architects is collaborating with Anagram PROPERTIES Inc. on the development of a
multi-family rental development on Clement Avenue in downtown Kelowna. The proposed
development follows Anagram’s corporate strategy of providing smart, sustainable and
attainable properties. This purpose built rental project is situated on the edge of the city centre
of Kelowna enabling residents to walk to work and social activities.
Clement Avenue is poised
to change from a low-density corridor straddling between single family residential housing and
industrial lands to a vibrant northern gateway to the city centre. This proposed project in
conjunction with other developments planned within a two-block radius are set to redefine this
area with increased density and livability

I give them on thing, social activities, sure lots of things happen downtown, where parking is already a premium for every social activity going on.

I do not see a parking component in this proposal. Why? Because the developers have it all figured out that everyone will be walking. :up:
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

guess so, and everyone living in the apt building will be working downtown, and will never need a car for --any reason--- :200: :135:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

When Northwood was applied for the Regency group said, "we'll be employing entry level people and they'll be taking buses" when us neighbours questioned parking.

Who want to bet there will be a variance applied for along the way? I mean, besides the obvious.

And the City will rubber stamp it?

I got $5 bucks on "Yes, the developers will." :up:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote:When Northwood was applied for the Regency group said, "we'll be employing entry level people and they'll be taking buses" when us neighbours questioned parking.

Who want to bet there will be a variance applied for along the way? I mean, besides the obvious.

And the City will rubber stamp it?

I got $5 bucks on "Yes, the developers will." :up:

This is a "rental only" building - I can pretty well guarantee that it will be approved.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I cant' wait to see what they consider affordable rent. And because the units are considered "rentals" all the finishings inside will reflect that fact, cheapest of the cheap. The place is a slum before it gets it's ribbon cutting.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

safe best, it will not be built too last
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Having worked in that area from 96 to 2014, I will says few things.
Plenty of places to walk or bike to, in the area between Richter and the lake and 97 to Clement..
Jobs however , I think a lot of residents have to travel further to get to work.,
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”