Affordable units on Clement

W105
Guru

Re: Affordable units on Clement

Post by W105 »

well first off, it was the title of the article that said affordable...in the actual article it says "Market rental quality" so I assume it won't be slummy...and a 10 yr cap on the rental price is a good thing...

taking out 6 very small houses (I partied in many of them back in the day and most of them are very small) and making room for 58 units that can hold alot more people, and having options of 2, 3 and 4 bedroom units in the downtown core is a very GOOD thing to happen imo...

guess it's the way you wanna look at it...
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Kurt Russell can finally finish the trilogy:

"Escape From Kelowna"
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

W105 wrote:well first off, it was the title of the article that said affordable...in the actual article it says "Market rental quality" so I assume it won't be slummy...and a 10 yr cap on the rental price is a good thing...

taking out 6 very small houses (I partied in many of them back in the day and most of them are very small) and making room for 58 units that can hold alot more people, and having options of 2, 3 and 4 bedroom units in the downtown core is a very GOOD thing to happen imo...

Currently Kelowna has a .5% vacancy rate - so yes, I believe more rental buildings are a good thing.
I haven't failed until I quit.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

I agree with you W105, we need the rental units and this is a start with a variety of sizes instead of developing little shoeboxes.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i agree more apt's is a great idea, but please lets not call this affordable, affordable for who the homeless,? the low income earners ? who
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

W105 wrote:well first off, it was the title of the article that said affordable...in the actual article it says "Market rental quality" so I assume it won't be slummy...and a 10 yr cap on the rental price is a good thing...

I just want to see adequate parking, seems some down there are wriggling out of it, yet being able to build a tall building. I Know how bad it can get down there..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I never said we don't need rental units, we need them with parking available, and not built to look slummy and become known as the RCMPs next best hang out after Timmies and Hein Road.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Info on another website says 72 parking stalls plus car sharing plus bicycle sharing programs for residents.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If they stick to that, I'm happy with it. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Queen K wrote:
Queen K wrote:I'm surprised there isn't a commercial component to the units, and wait for it, how many parking spots will there be? Or is it all "street parking" or because this is supposedly "low income" no parking because we all know they can't afford cars and are withing walking distance to shopping.

Stinks, the whole thing.

Ya I was right, the catch phrase "walk to work" is telling, because all people who work in downtown don't want real lives in real homes with yards and driveways and they definitely don't need vehicles which actually are usable in other aspects of their lives.

MQN Architects is collaborating with Anagram PROPERTIES Inc. on the development of a
multi-family rental development on Clement Avenue in downtown Kelowna. The proposed
development follows Anagram’s corporate strategy of providing smart, sustainable and
attainable properties. This purpose built rental project is situated on the edge of the city centre
of Kelowna enabling residents to walk to work and social activities.
Clement Avenue is poised
to change from a low-density corridor straddling between single family residential housing and
industrial lands to a vibrant northern gateway to the city centre. This proposed project in
conjunction with other developments planned within a two-block radius are set to redefine this
area with increased density and livability

I give them on thing, social activities, sure lots of things happen downtown, where parking is already a premium for every social activity going on.

I do not see a parking component in this proposal. Why? Because the developers have it all figured out that everyone will be walking. :up:

It's the Vancouver mentality creeping here.

Peeps are so real estate poor and broke from their minimum wage job at savethewhale.ca that they can't afford a life or a vehicle.

Therefore make it all cool and hipster living the dream in your shared 400sf studio next door to the homeless camp. Walking to work in your fur lined sandals.

Horrendous.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

With townhouses suitable for no one to raise a family in because they are full of stairs and rooms fit for nothing called "living."
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Queen K wrote:With townhouses suitable for no one to raise a family in because they are full of stairs and rooms fit for nothing called "living."

Hipsters can't afford a family.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Queen K wrote:I never said we don't need rental units, we need them with parking available, and not built to look slummy and become known as the RCMPs next best hang out after Timmies and Hein Road.

It's right across the street from the new RCMP detachment...not sure if that's good or bad.

I think 72 parking spots is adequate for 58 units.
Last edited by Catri on Dec 31st, 2017, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote:I never said we don't need rental units, we need them with parking available, and not built to look slummy and become known as the RCMPs next best hang out after Timmies and Hein Road.
Catri wrote:
It's right across the street from the new RCMP detachment...not sure if that's good or bad.

They won't have to go far then. lol

Almost wish I still had my old house on Clement. First one I ever owned and rented it out till it became too much of a pain.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

lightspeed wrote:
Queen K wrote:With townhouses suitable for no one to raise a family in because they are full of stairs and rooms fit for nothing called "living."

Hipsters can't afford a family.

If they gave up working, they could shot babies at Welfare.

Return to “Central Okanagan”